Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the South, where the temperature is comfortable, or at least not cold for much of the year. I prefer not to wear a coat, vest, etc. to cover an IWB holster and carry pistol.

I prefer pocket carry (left front pocket, as I am left handed). I wear black Dickies with pleated front, and have extra length pockets sewn in. These are very loose fitting (baggy), and conceal a small or mid-size pistol well. My holsters are hand made specifically for each gun by a friend who has a shoe repair business.

My problem is that I have carried a number of different pistols this way, and almost all of them periodically release the magazine in my pocket. This leaves me with a one-shot pistol!

The only one that has never done this is the Walther PPS, which has the magazine release as part of the trigger guard, instead of a button on the side of the frame.

The PPS is a nice, very flat pistol that conceals well, but has a more limited capacity, due to the size of the follower in the magazine. I have the .40 cal version, and with the flush mag, it only holds 5+1 rounds.

I do not bump up against things, or do anything to put pressure on the side button of these other pistols I own, but the mag still releases sometimes. I would rather carry other pistols than the PPS, but do not want a one shot gun if I am attacked.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, did you solve it, and how?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
First what kind of pocket holster do you use?

If you arn't using a holster now would be the time to pick one up. Specifically made for the type and model of firearm you are going to carry.

Next do your sidearms have extended mag release buttons?

If so try going back to the stock configuration.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
First off, you are for sure somehow pressing the mag release or it wouldn't be happening with most of your carry weapons. Being that you are left handed I'd do a search for left handed pocket holsters that cover the mag release and that should fix the problem. Down side to that is. The holsters may be gun specific, so it could be costly to cover the array of carry weapons you mentioned.

GBk

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
have your friend punch out the holsters in the mag release area so they are not resting against the release...leather is pretty workable and it will keep pressure from acting on the release...you can do it yourself by wetting the leather and forming it away from the release area but i'm guessing he'll do a better job as he is familiar with working with the leather...the holsters may just be fitted too tightly in the mag release area...

it isnt an uncommon problem with 1911 holsters that are not relieved at the safety to release the safety when the wearer is moving around...you dont want to carry cocked and unlocked with a 45 on your hip...its really a simple procedure and youll notice a difference...

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I agree the release is being hit some way or the other. I only carry a J frame in my pocket, well not so I have two NAA Guardians but never had an issue with mags being released. Maybe you can tell us what the guns are and a pick of the holster you are using. It sure sounds like a holster problem to me. Your friend probably makes a mean wing tip but holsters are a different animal.

NCH

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
I live in the South, where the temperature is comfortable, or at least not cold for much of the year. I prefer not to wear a coat, vest, etc. to cover an IWB holster and carry pistol.

I prefer pocket carry (left front pocket, as I am left handed). I wear black Dickies with pleated front, and have extra length pockets sewn in. These are very loose fitting (baggy), and conceal a small or mid-size pistol well. My holsters are hand made specifically for each gun by a friend who has a shoe repair business.

My problem is that I have carried a number of different pistols this way, and almost all of them periodically release the magazine in my pocket. This leaves me with a one-shot pistol!

The only one that has never done this is the Walther PPS, which has the magazine release as part of the trigger guard, instead of a button on the side of the frame.

The PPS is a nice, very flat pistol that conceals well, but has a more limited capacity, due to the size of the follower in the magazine. I have the .40 cal version, and with the flush mag, it only holds 5+1 rounds.

I do not bump up against things, or do anything to put pressure on the side button of these other pistols I own, but the mag still releases sometimes. I would rather carry other pistols than the PPS, but do not want a one shot gun if I am attacked.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, did you solve it, and how?
I switched back to a revolver, the gun nature intended one to carry in his or her pocket.

Biker

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
I'd suggest going to a revolver, like a S&W J-frame as well.

Also, and no offense intended to your friend, but try out a pocket holster from some of the bigger name brand makes, and see if it fixes the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts