Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Handled one at the shop I work at a few days a week, it sold in two days.

Too heavy for pocket carry for me.

Brownie

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
No thanks I will keep my NAA Guardians.

NCH

·
Registered
64 Posts
Despite their small size they're much too heavy for a pocket pistol. You'd end up needing an IWB or similar to really carry it and there are much more appealing guns to carry there.
Kel-Tec works for me. :danceban:
Some of you guys have really gotten spoiled by some of the feather weight keltec/lcp guns. 13.5 oz is NOT too heavy for a pocket pistol. My keys and cell phone in my other pocket weigh more than the Micro Eagle fully loaded with pocket holster (1.01lb). Heaver than a keltec, yes I agree, too heavy for a pocket pistol. No way unless all your wearing is a speedo.:rofl:

·
Registered
53 Posts
As a matter of fact a Kel-Tec 380 in a SmartCarry is claimed to have spent the day swimming among other people without being spotted by anyboddy. Doubt that the suit was as skimpy as a speedo but maybe with with enough body fat...? :duh: :gah:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have never seen one before but I like the robust looks of it. IIRC it weighs about the same as my S&W snubbie, which I pocket carry alot. If price were the same as an LCP I would consider one just to be different (boy has that co$t me alot over the years). But alas, price does matter these days so I will eventually pick up the LCP.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
JD is correct about having more fun with that at the range, I have one of the afore mentioned Grendels and it is the worst gun I have ever shot. It's a .380 that kicks like a mule, and I am 6'3" and 300lbs. Besides the Grendels are crap IMOP.

·
Administrator
143,466 Posts
I don't think it's ugly and even if it was why would that be important?
Reliable functioning is everything.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Having owned three KelTec 3ATs and shipping every one of them back to Florida for repairs before selling them ... and currently owning two LCPs and shipping both of them back for the recall (and one of them is back again for jams and the magazine falling out; the same problem the other one is developing), I'm ready for something reliable no matter what it looks like. 'Looks' is why I hated Glocks for 20 years before I finally realized they are the most reliable, light weight primary carry handguns available on the market today. I now own two of them in 9mm and I can't see ever selling them. They go 'bang' every time I pull the trigger.

That said, there are times when I want a small pocket or ankle gun for formal occasions and this might fill the bill. It's a couple ounces heavier than the LCP, but I held one today and compared it side-by-side with an LCP and it's a little thicker but the barrel is a good 1/2 inch shorter and the stainless steel finish is impressive for about $500 before taxes.

The fact that it is made in Minnesota, near my home, has got me given it serious consideration. I owned a Baby Eagle in .40 caliber before I got the Glock bug and it was THE most accurate semi-auto I've ever shot, so I think the quality is there.

Hell, the biggest problem these days is finding enough ammo to even break in a new gun ... .380, 9mm, .38, .45, .40 ... they're all tough to find. I'm feeling very tempted to pick it up in the next couple days. Anyone want to buy two LCPs when I get them back from Ruger in the next month or so? (Sorry, they don't come with ammo, but several holsters, because those would be too big for the Micro Desert Eagle.)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I still want to hold/handle/fondle a MDE... or just see one in person. My P3AT has just been "o.k." for the last 3-4 years, and I'm ready for a change. I am trying to get completely away from tupperware, but still need a small pocket/boot gun.

How did the MDE look in terms of size/bulk to the P3AT or LCP?

surv

·
Registered
662 Posts
I raed a review on the micro and it was praised by the author. Said it would eat anything and was very accurate for a pocket gun. It also wouldnt probably be quite as snappy as the lcp and p3at since it is all steel and heavier. But any gun that small will be snappy. I have a bryco .380 that is as heavy as most full size or compact pistols, about 25oz, and its still verry snappy. But still as mentioned earlier i think the micro is a bit on the $$$ side. Id rather have the new kahr 380 i think.

·
Super Moderator
50,575 Posts
No thank you...I'll just keep my KelTec P-3AT...:yup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just picked up my MDE. The Keltec is junk compared to the MDE. They are not even in the same class qaulity wise. The MDE is a bit heavier but i don't care. It just melts away into a front jeans pocket. The extra weight of the steel slide makes it easier on the hand when shooting. It's pretty accurate out to 7 yards. Good enough for defensive purposes. Seven rounds of Powerball in a gun you can't feel in your pocket means alot. As for the price over an LCP or KelTec, I'm more interested in quality than price when my life depends on it. Besides it's hard to even find an LCP or P3AT let alone ammo for it. And with todays crazy prices the difference is not that much. I paid $500 for my MDE. BPS just got a supply of LCP's and they wanted $400 for it. No brainer in my book.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I have held one of these since my last reply, but my response is still the same. I'll keep the NAA Guardians. There just wasn't enough for me to grip with this gun. MY NAA's have the option of a finger extension on the bottom of the mag, this makes a huge difference with hot SD rounds. I see nothing that the MDE does any better than my NAA Guardians, plus my Guardians are both proven to feed everything and anything I have fed them. Accessories are also much more plentiful. Thanks but no Thanks for now. My reply will probably be the same for the new Sig, but I still want to see and hold one of them!!
NCH

·
Registered
972 Posts
I bought one on Friday for $499 plus tax, ran 34 rounds of mixed ammo through it on Saturday and cleaned it tonight. So far, I'm much more impressed with the MDE than the 2 Ruger LCPs and 3 KelTec 380s that I've owned. Everything seems to function more smoothly when cycling the slide by hand and while shooting it. Like the Rugers and KelTecs the recoil is not pleasant, but the fact that it's got a barrel 1/2 inche shorter than the LCPs is quite nice. It should conceal that much better, even though it's a little thicker.

It would be nice if .380 ammo were more reasonably priced (if you can find it at all!) because I paid $30 for 50 rounds of FMJs in Sioux Falls Thursday and I haven't found it for any price at Wallie World or other gun emporiums up north. I'd like to run at least 200 rounds through it before I trust my life to it.

So far, so good. It's a hand little piece that fits my ankle holster and other cheap pocket rigs. (Not good with the DeSantis Trickster for the LCP, however, or the Galco tuckable for the LCP.)

If this continues to work well, I might have FINALLY ended my search for the ultimate deep cover handgun. YeeHaw!!!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
9mm10mmamen

How was your accuracy with the MDE as compared to the P3AT or LCP?

I too have been searching for the holy grail of deep concealed handguns, and this one (at least from all the photos and first hand accounts) might just be it.

I hope you will keep posting range reports or other opinion reports concerning the MDE as time goes on.

surv

·
Registered
140 Posts
We keep one on the shelf next to the Seacamp at the gunstore where I work. I have fondled it quite often and it really seems like very high quality. I havent shot one yet so no comment on that. It rides really nice in a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster in cargo shorts. Anyway, I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. Kevin.

·
Banned
5 Posts
The MR Micro .380 is a great gun. We just bought one last month for my wife. After shooting over 500 rounds thru it, it has never jammed and barely has a kick back at all. Pricey, but what MR weapon isn't. For a small .380 caliber gun, this one beats the Keltec anyday.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased this Micro Eagle new about a month ago. After purchasing some Speer Gold Dot ammo, went to the range. Put about 4 mags worth through the gun. This is the result

21 - 40 of 57 Posts