Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From everything that I read, the performance of low recoil 00 ammo is equal to, or even better, than that of the standard and magnum ammo. If this is true then doesn't it make good sense then to manufacture and sell the low recoil ammo only? Think about it seriously, if there is no significant advantage in shooting standard or magnum loads over the low recoil, why would anyone want to shoot them? For the pure pleasure of the higher or excessive shoulder pounding recoil? :confused:

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Winchester WinLite Low Recoil Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 00 Buckshot 9 Pellets
Muzzle velocity: 1125 fps

Winchester Supreme High Velocity Magnum Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" Buffered 00 Copper Plated Buckshot 9 Pellets
Muzzle Velocity: 1450 fps
Fiocchi Reduced Recoil Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 00 Buckshot 9 Nickel Plated Pellets
Muzzle Velocity: 1150 fps

Fiocchi Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 00 Buckshot 9 Nickel Plated Pellets
Muzzle Velocity: 1325 fps
Federal Power-Shok Low Recoil Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" Buffered 00 Buckshot 9 Pellets
Muzzle Velocity: 1140 fps

Federal Power-Shok Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" Buffered 00 Buckshot 12 Pellets
Muzzle Velocity: 1290 fps
With velocity numbers running from 150 fps to over 300 fps faster for magnum ammo, I can't accept that the low recoil ammo is "equal to, or even better, than that of the standard and magnum ammo". I'm not saying it won't work and in some situations such as in an apartment building where penetration of a miss is important, they may be a better choice, but they are never going to have the same impact as a magnum load. In the Winchester loads above, the difference in energy is over 1600 ft. lbs. That's a bunch of difference.

Hoss

·
Banned
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With velocity numbers running from 150 fps to over 300 fps faster for magnum ammo, I can't accept that the low recoil ammo is "equal to, or even better, than that of the standard and magnum ammo". I'm not saying it won't work and in some situations such as in an apartment building where penetration of a miss is important, they may be a better choice, but they are never going to have the same impact as a magnum load. In the Winchester loads above, the difference in energy is over 1600 ft. lbs. That's a bunch of difference.

Hoss
I agree with you completely. I've always felt the bigger the payload and the harder it hits, the better. My point is that it's so rare to read any article that will support what we agree on since the low recoil has been introduced, especially when it comes down to self defense. I can understand the apartment building scenario, but that's it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I guess I wouldnt be jumping to conclusions on this issue. Standard 00 will still be used in hunting. It seems that if you crunch the numbers the standard 00 does have a significant energy advantage but still for a home defense situation I am going to stoke with low recoil.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
From everything that I read, the performance of low recoil 00 ammo is equal to, or even better, than that of the standard and magnum ammo. If this is true then doesn't it make good sense then to manufacture and sell the low recoil ammo only? Think about it seriously, if there is no significant advantage in shooting standard or magnum loads over the low recoil, why would anyone want to shoot them? For the pure pleasure of the higher or excessive shoulder pounding recoil? :confused:
Well, for one thing some autos have reliability issues with Low-Recoil ammo. My Benelli M1S90 shoots them fine, but a freinds 11-87 chokes on them.

I've also found the "standard" velocity (red hull) Hornady TAP to pattern better than the FED LR in my gun.

Chuck

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
What would you rather get hit with,avolkswagen,or a mack truck

·
Registered
438 Posts
What would you rather get hit with,avolkswagen,or a mack truck
Id rather not get hit by either, but if I had to choose it would be a Volkswagen. Mack trucks are scary.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Guys, it is BUCKshot. True, some guys are termed "young bucks," but generally speaking, buck means something with four legs. Antipersonnel usage is just one reason folks buy buckshot.

Moreover, those round balls lose velocity fast. For situations where "area fire" may be necessary, or at longer range, one may want to launch those lead balls at a bit higher velocity. I like to keep a few standard-velocity buckshot shells handy when on police patrol, just as I like to have a few slugs handy, too, though I generally keep Remington 8-pellet shells in the magazine tube. Just to be clear, I don't regard "area fire" as something generally desirable for police patrol, unless perhaps terrorists tried to hit something in my area, and there were no citizens anywhere near the line of fire. (Don't laugh; my beat contains an Israeli Consulate, other consulates, a water chlorination plant, a very important rail line, a major highway intersection, upscale hotels, and an upscale internationally-known mall and more upscale hotels are within a block of my beat. Mumbai could come to Texas; it would be silly to remain complacent.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts