Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure some folks on here have heard of the MagPul M.A.D.. For those of you who haven't, well, here ya go. Basically it's a 90* lever that bolts onto the bolt catch of an AR15 rifle that allows the catch to be worked with the trigger finger of the right hand without releasing your firing grip. This greatly speeds up malfunction clearing as well as reloading.

It's an aluminum bar with a milled pocket for the bolt catch, and a milled lower 'hat' that grabs the bottom of the catch. A screw is threaded in to clamp them together over the bolt catch, maybe a 5 minute installation.

The manipulation of the setup is amazingly quick now.

Bolt in battery

To lock the bolt back, rack the charging handle and push up with your finger

Bolt locked back - to release, push downwards with your finger

Tada! Bolt back in battery

Profile with bolt in battery

Profile with bolt locked back

And a impromptu demo of a reload and a double feed malfunction clear:
YouTube - Magpul BAD operation/close up

·
Registered
797 Posts
BAD review I thought it was negative ...then put 2 and 2 together and ... BAD BatteryAssistDevice interesting.

·
Registered
558 Posts
BAD review I thought it was negative ...then put 2 and 2 together and ... BAD BatteryAssistDevice interesting.
Yeah me too. Magpul makes some pretty good stuff, so the title really sparked my interest. The BAD sounds pretty good, and sounds like a must if you run a Redi-Mag setup.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Glad they are shipping. I've been waiting for this since the announcement.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Gee .

If only they had invented these 40 years ago. :icon_neutral:

Uncle Sam could have saved so much money buying one of these
instead of sending me through AIT.......

:rofl:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right handed, left eye dominant. I generally shoot rifles lefty, but since I got my KelTec Sub2000 and where it forces me to place my head for a sight picture, and my nose is almost in the ejection port - I've caught powder up the nose, and once a small sliver of brass. I immediately forced myself to start shooting righty to reduce the risk of loosing my nose to a overcharged cartridge.

Lefty's will be able to use this to lock the bolt back faster/easier, which would help with a double feed situation. Releasing the firing hand grip slightly will let you hit the bolt catch and pop it forward. Or, with some slight modification to the existing bad, an outward push witht he left index to release the bolt.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I see one of these in my AR's future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts