Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been carrying a G17 gen 4 for about 2 years. I have a G19 gen 4 and I also use wife's G26 gen 3 ( wife has arthritis issues and I doubt she'll ever actually carry it, but at least she knows how to shoot it). So I was thinking about maybe there would be times a smaller Conceal Carry footprint would be good. My main issue with the G26 was that the 10 round grip, left my Pinkie hanging. I realize there are Glock 12 rounder magazine and there are +2 after market additions. But the Magpul entry interested me. Lanbos Armory (Montgomery County, two counties over) had them for $11 & Change (+Shipping and tax) so for the price of maybe one Glock 12 round magazine, I bought two of the Magpul.

I did a week of Dry Fire practice. They felt very comfortable in my hand , and always dropped free.

Today I went to an outdoor range. This way I could run some JHP and Steel Cased target ammo (Not allowed at the indoor facilities I use). I set up at the 7 Yard station and ran a magazine of Speer Gold Dot, a magazine of Orr Tactical (With Hornady XTP). I then shot 100 rounds of Tul Steel cased ammo. And finally I loaded up a totally mixed magazine. Every shot went off and cycled as expected.

TWO THUMBS UP FOR THE MAGPUL PMAG12.

Pmag12-2a.jpg Pmag12-3a.jpg

First Shots with Setup (Lets just call this one a warm up!)
PMag 12 -1a.jpg
Next set
PMag 12 -2a.jpg

Some Left handed shooting (Two Handed Weak Side)
Pmag12 Left Hand.jpg

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Just a point of interest for you Glock guys. You have heard of X-Grip adapters right? They make two models, for medium frames and small frames so that you can get a good grip on the longer mags in the smaller guns. I like them and they are not very expensive.

SubCompact Pistol Magazine Adapters | X-GRIP Mag Adapter

Good shooting kennydale. :smile:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thanks for the review Kennydale. I hate grip sleeves and adapters that do not have set screws as they can be very problematic at the worst possible times. They are fine for range fun but not serious business. I have avoided getting a G26 because I don't like 2 finger grips and none of the +2's for the G26 thrilled me. These Magpuls 12 rounds might change all that. I have over a dozen Magpul GL9's for my G17 & G19 and have ever had a single issue with them so I would expect these to be just as reliable.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Thanks for the review Kennydale. I hate grip sleeves and adapters that do not have set screws as they can be very problematic at the worst possible times. They are fine for range fun but not serious business. I have avoided getting a G26 because I don't like 2 finger grips and none of the +2's for the G26 thrilled me. These Magpuls 12 rounds might change all that. I have over a dozen Magpul GL9's for my G17 & G19 and have ever had a single issue with them so I would expect these to be just as reliable.
why not just carry the Glock 19?

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
Thanks for the report! I may have to try a couple for my gen 4 G-26.

·
Registered
362 Posts

Why not have one of every gun I possibly can so that when I die each my kids get to have an instant armory of awesomeness? BTW I carry a P320C or Shield, the rest are just about having every option I can imagine and afford.

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As good as the G19 is. I find the G17 a better grip and easier to shoot. The idea of the G26 is in concealment. My main issue was not CAPACITY alone. The main issue was my Pinkie and ease of shooting. Even with the +2 of the magpul 12. Getting a good grip on draw will take a good holster and some time in dry firing. I had an opportunity to shoot the Sig P320 in Full Size, Compact, Carry & Sub Compact. The Sig Sub Compact is probably equivalent in HEIGHT to my G26 (with the Pmag). They both hold 12 rounds. And both will accept their larger magazines. The issue becomes whether Concealment is more important to you, Then capacity or ease to grip !

Reactions: mlk18

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
I would be curious to know exactly what kind of failures you have experienced with grip sleeves without set screws? Can you provide details?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I would be curious to know exactly what kind of failures you have experienced with grip sleeves without set screws? Can you provide details?
I can explain it but it's pretty common and widely known issue often semi-alleviated with superglue or other less than perfect remedies. The sleeves slide down and cause issues with speed reloads or pinches the skin on your fingers/hands, both interfere with proper operation and distract one from the purpose of drawing and firing a handgun. I am sure you can jump on Google to find 1,489,092 examples and YouTube videos.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
I can explain it but it's pretty common and widely known issue often semi-alleviated with superglue or other less than perfect remedies. The sleeves slide down and cause issues with speed reloads or pinches the skin on your fingers/hands, both interfere with proper operation and distract one from the purpose of drawing and firing a handgun. I am sure you can jump on Google to find 1,489,092 examples and YouTube videos.
No need for Google. I've used them for many years. Upside down in a mag holder on my belt, and a lot of reloads. I don't shoot IDPA or other "games", so I really don't care what issues gamers have with them. Never had any problem whatsoever. Drawing and firing? If they are on the mag that is inserted into the magwell, how on earth would they interfere with any operation? If you just don't like to use them, that's fine. If you have never actually used the X-Grip sleeves, that's fine too. It sounds to me like this is another "Glock leg" legend.

And BTW, I can count the number of people on YouTube that I trust for gun advice on less fingers than there are on one hand. Just me though. To each his own.

·
Registered
362 Posts
No need for Google. I've used them for many years. Upside down in a mag holder on my belt, and a lot of reloads. I don't shoot IDPA or other "games", so I really don't care what issues gamers have with them. Never had any problem whatsoever. Drawing and firing? If they are on the mag that is inserted into the magwell, how on earth would they interfere with any operation? If you just don't like to use them, that's fine. If you have never actually used the X-Grip sleeves, that's fine too. It sounds to me like this is another "Glock leg" legend.

And BTW, I can count the number of people on YouTube that I trust for gun advice on less fingers than there are on one hand. Just me though. To each his own.
As a long time LEO and Firearms Instructor I am not a gamer either. I am also not a lazy Saturday afternoon plinker who gets about as rough and tumble with shooting as Dentist's do playing a light game of tennis at the country club. I have tried factory and aftermarket grip sleeves and they are all just about as worthless for serious use. We issue the M&P9C to our plain clothes personnel and we won't allow the Xgrip because we had so many problems running them in combat drills, but hey if they work for you then so be it. It might surprise you to find out that I can think grip sleeves are worthless crap while you simultaneously think they are as awesome as the last Presidential election. And neither of us have to be right or wrong, just differing in opinion and personal experience.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
As a long time LEO and Firearms Instructor I am not a gamer either. I am also not a lazy Saturday afternoon plinker who gets about as rough and tumble with shooting as Dentist's do playing a light game of tennis at the country club. I have tried factory and aftermarket grip sleeves and they are all just about as worthless for serious use. We issue the M&P9C to our plain clothes personnel and we won't allow the Xgrip because we had so many problems running them in combat drills, but hey if they work for you then so be it. It might surprise you to find out that I can think grip sleeves are worthless crap while you simultaneously think they are as awesome as the last Presidential election. And neither of us have to be right or wrong, just differing in opinion and personal experience.
"...Just me though. To each his own."
What part did you not understand?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Oh I see, you just wanted to argue. Why didn't you just say so? I wouldn't have bothered to respond at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts