Defensive Carry banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts? Likes? Dislikes? The one dislike that I have about my plain jane telescoping stock is that the stock on my wife's LMT is better (lol). Her's is much wider and provides a better cheek rest. The Magpul STR is pretty similar, and I'm a fanboy.

My stock looks like this:
http://www.slickguns.com/sites/default/files/NFA-LW15BLK-2_0.jpg

Her's looks like this:
http://www.lmtstore.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/182/image/242/

And here's the STR:
Amazon.com: Magpul STR Mil-Spec Carb Stock, Black: Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always liked the CTR, but always thought the cheek weld could be better. So I think the STR would be a winner for me.

That said, I've yet to try one.
Thanks for the feedback, Xader.

Anybody out there own one of these?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I built a PSA Middy last Summer with a STR stock on it. It was nice and kind of like the check weld of the SOPMOD, but I didn't like the locking lever you had to pinch down after you moved the stock position on the receiver extension(buffer tube).

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The stock on your wifes LMT is the SOPMOD stock. Basically the best made.

If I was changing a stock I would buy the B5 SOPMOD stock and be done. You can get one without storage at G&R Tactical for $58.00, or you can get the enhanced one with storage. BCM sells them too.

B5 Systems BRAVO Milspec Stock at G and R Tactical

B5 Enhanced SOPMOD Milspec Stock - FLAT DARK EARTH
Yup, SOPMOD is correct. I pulled that image straight from their website.

I was planning on buying the Magpul because as I stated, I'm a fanboy, and I really want to support them for the way they've been supporting our 2A rights and specifically the good people in Colorado. Thanks for that link, though. I'd seen the price on LMTs site, but hadn't bothered checking around.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I built a PSA Middy last Summer with a STR stock on it. It was nice and kind of like the check weld of the SOPMOD, but I didn't like the locking lever you had to pinch down after you moved the stock position on the receiver extension(buffer tube).

Thanks for the feedback, tmoore. What didn't you like specifically about the locking lever? Just that it was an extra (if not unnecessary) step?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, tmoore. What didn't you like specifically about the locking lever? Just that it was an extra (if not unnecessary) step?
Yes, didn't like the extra step to lock it down, and didn't like that it was a PITA to get the battery storage caps off if you needed to refresh the flashlight batteries.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, didn't like the extra step to lock it down, and didn't like that it was a PITA to get the battery storage caps off if you needed to refresh the flashlight batteries.
Well, I'd rather it be a pain to get the caps off, than they come off easily (maybe one day, too easily?) :smile:

·
Super Moderator
19,014 Posts
The b5 is nice , but I am more comfortable with my MOE stock personally.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've had an STR on a pinned 14.5 midlength carbine for about two years. The STR is the main reason I put this thing together. It makes shouldering and getting on target fast, extremely easy. Another benefit, when locked it is completely solid, without movement. Final bonus benefit, your beard won't get caught in it.

Only three reasons not to buy one:
1. It's not light weight.
2. It's not cheap.
3. All the idiots will call you a Magpul fan boy.

ETA: Pics of the precious...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts