Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with or heard of any actual results in a real life situation with Magsafe ammo? I don't mean the goat tests. It would only be used in a revolver, so cycling the action is not an issue. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Welcome Coach :smile:

Same here I am afraid - known of it for ages but never tested. Guess I am too content with my Gold Dots!

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I only carry MagSafe or Glaser Silver or RBCD ammo in my ready to fire mag. Backups are usually Federal Hydra-Shok 185gr. I live in south Florida, so it's not much of an issue for me. If I were in the frozen north I probably would stick to the Hydra-Shoks or other more conventional loads until the summer months.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Other reasons to carry the frangibles...

FLM said:
Yeah, I have seen this article before and similar data. I carry MagSafe in the primary mags here in South Florida not because they are devastating in "meat" but rather because I live in a fairly high density urban area and the places where I'm likely to have to shoot will have innocent folks in the area. Although I would not shoot with them in my line of fire, there is a very real danger of at least one miss and I worry more about the richochet of an errant round thru an innocent bystander or thru an object like a door than I do the direct miss or the rare T-N-T or Thru-N-Thru gunshot that strikes an innocent bystander directly behind the BG I've just incapacitated. It's moral and legal CYA. If the action continues past the time I'm able to reach solid cover, I'll swap mags (as I would anyway to top off) so I can choose my shots with more precision and a higher degree of confidence.

Besides, this article pretty well stipulates that the presence of an interfering object is what causes the reduction in performance. Well, sure. In a hunting situation, a stray branch in the line of flight for a hunting load can do the same thing. Same for a 5.56mm or even a 9mm when they strike an arm. I'm comfortable with my choices and decisions.

·
Registered
91 Posts
There's a reason that the FBI stipulated that their ammunition had to penetrate at least 12 inches. Good ammo like Ranger T and Gold Dots will penetrate an arm and still reach a vital area. However it's your life and your decision.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Been involved in a limited amount of testing of Mag Safe and Glaser ammo. I do not carry either.

That is not to say neither have a place, strictly my feelings.

As far as I know, there have been no documented shootings with Mag Safe.
Several with glaser, with varying degrees of sucess.

IMO, just finding out where your gun will shoot with this high priced ammo, will be costly. I would rather spend the money on practice ammo, and learning how to hit what I am aiming at :))

·
Registered
34 Posts
I carry MagSafe in my snubbie and is the first one up the spout in my autos. If the first hit is a good one I believe the MagSafe will do the trick. If not, well, I guess I will have to continue to shoot.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Interesting article OD.

·
Registered
742 Posts
RBCD---Another magic make believe.

Sure is funny, no documentation from any independent ammo testers.

Lots of hype--most of which has died away.

·
Super Moderator
22,007 Posts
I would love to see some independent lab testing myself.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
KC135 said:
RBCD---Another magic make believe.

Sure is funny, no documentation from any independent ammo testers.

Lots of hype--most of which has died away.
I dunno, KC. I first heard about RBCD three years ago in a casual conversation with a friend of mine. He's a SPecOps full colonel and is now posted to the Pentagon. He's a stand up guy with lots of experience in the "real world" as opposed to his current job which he laughingly refers to as "eschelons above reality."

I asked him what ammo he liked best in a handgun and he said RBCD and added it's non-reg "bet your bars" stuff, but if he was ONE SHOT away from THE END, he'd go with RBCD hands down. I never heard of the stuff. Far more expensive than either MagSafe or Glaser. Something like $50 for a box of 20rds. That's retail. You can sometimes find them at gunshows for about half that. "Bet-Your-Bars" is usually applied to Lieutenants and refers to something done outside of regulations that most ALL good officers do, but which will bring the wrath of the Division Commander down upon you if you're so unlucky to get caught. Stuff like squirreling away platoon training ammo for a rainy day....or using nonreg munitions in combat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I knew Joe & Kay when they lived in washington and even had some input into Joes KD magsafe round(KD=KEVLAR DEFEATING).

I really liked Joe a lot "God rest his soul":frown: but as for magsafe rounds as a whole I really think the rounds are not that useful they just dont have the penetration that I like in a pistol round.If I had to use a pre frag I would use GLASER SILVERS IMO.

As for RBCD IMO the real blended metal rounds are cool. The rounds they sell to the public with the lead ball and the plastic ball are a JOKE.

RBCD ANLYSIS
RBCD is the round on the left:hand5:

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
personaly i dont/wont use any pre frag rounds , any binefits are far outweighed by both the expense and courtroom liability imho , i also wont carry reloads for SD

·
Registered
1 Posts
i came in to posesion of several boxes full of magsafe .40 cal. I read the 'hype' on them and desided to test a few on the beef cows when we butchered. normally we use a .44mag to the forhead and some times it takes 2 shots. the magsafes were amazing. 1 shot and the beef hit the ground dead. on the old stear that was gonna be all hamburger i shot in in the side droped and was dead by the time it hit the ground. when we open it up the heart and right lung were destroyed. this is the only ammo i will ever carry.
btw shoot to kill. if u have time trick shoot or are in such a situation you should not be shooting.
i have yet te find any real evidence of courtroom liability. it is just fear mongering

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks, Paul.
This provides good insight into the effectiveness of this round. It may not be scientific but anything that drops a cow can't be all that wimpy.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Don't Overlook RBCD

paul_82000 said:
i came in to posesion of several boxes full of magsafe .40 cal. I read the 'hype' on them and desided to test a few on the beef cows when we butchered. normally we use a .44mag to the forhead and some times it takes 2 shots. the magsafes were amazing. 1 shot and the beef hit the ground dead. on the old stear that was gonna be all hamburger i shot in in the side droped and was dead by the time it hit the ground. when we open it up the heart and right lung were destroyed. this is the only ammo i will ever carry.
btw shoot to kill. if u have time trick shoot or are in such a situation you should not be shooting.
i have yet te find any real evidence of courtroom liability. it is just fear mongering
While I FULLY agree with you on MagSafe (it's mostly all I carry in primary carry gun -- but use other factory loads in back up mags) there actually HAVE been numerous lawsuits against the frangible ammo manufacturers. All have been rejected. I think a lot of it is a masterful sense of advertising psychology...that is the use of the word SAFE. Glaser SAFETY Slug. MagSAFE....brilliant! But if you think MagSafe was devastating in meat...try RBCD.

http://www.rbcd.net I have a friend in SpecOps (I guess he's getting ready to retire, but he's currently a fairly senior officer at the puzzle palace...I mean the Pentagon....and he once told me that if his survival came down to ONE SHOT he'd want it to be RBCD. :king: I agree. This ammo is even more expensive than either MagSafe or Glaser.....which is hard to believe. So you don't use it to pling with! But I ran enough thru my guns to be sure of cycling and accuracy at various combat ranges...and then I just put it into the mags.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts