Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...on with the saga.....been carrying appendix 2:00 oclock in an old faithful holstser and though it was kinda nice..... with the help of a few here and one particular I was introduced to what's called a dedicated AIWB holster. As I had never had a dedicated made for AIWB I was not really aware of the differences.

So here it is.....Comp-tac 2:00 O'clock AIWB.

A few said they though I made a mistake getting this one....

I absolutely love it....way more comfortable than the Old Faithful which has really surprised me......!!!!

If I have made a mistake, it is not apparent to me yet......this rig is really nice......

0000ct1.jpg 0000ct2.jpg 0000ct3.jpg 0000ct4.jpg

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
WOW....talk about concealment....I added a foam wedge to back bottom and this thing just becomes part of your body.......

0000ct5.jpg

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I like the looks of that holster! Congrats!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the looks of that holster! Congrats!
Thanks...me also....Boy what I did not know about appendix carry.......Sometime's a bit slow on the uptake but eventually I get there.......This makes a world of different (at least for me)....

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Does it have anything to hold the gun in? I found something with a snap to hold it in will only work because I crawl on the ground a lot....hee hee, no, not drinking but gardening.

Nice looking holster, just couldn't tell if it had something to hold it down in case you decide to do a cart wheel or something. :gah:

(don't take that wrong, I love the holster and not that happy where I carry mine and how it fits, but I am all over the place at times in the yard and I have had trouble dropping my guns and concerned about shooting myself ~ if the gun will stay I'm interested!)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does it have anything to hold the gun in? I found something with a snap to hold it in will only work because I crawl on the ground a lot....hee hee, no, not drinking but gardening.

Nice looking holster, just couldn't tell if it had something to hold it down in case you decide to do a cart wheel or something. :gah:
It has two retention screws, so you can set it as tight as you want it......

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
It has two retention screws, so you can set it as tight as you want it......
Thank you, that would work!

Neither of my Smiths have a safety on them and dropping the gun/guns while pulling weeds was a problem the first of this year. Did you get it on Amazon or a gun web site?

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
dben: Can you compare and contrast what's so different about this one versus the other(s) you tried? Seems there are some subtle and perhaps not-so-subtle aspects that make this one so much more comfortable, effective. Care to describe? Might help others who are looking for a decent AIWB rig.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
You should use it for a while (not in terms of hours or minutes) before you decide you are in love. It'll make the divorce less messy... :tongue:

In all seriousness, you'll have a much better frame of reference, after EDCing it for a month or so, to make some observations about your new holster. The thing that I hope you don't find, but I did with a similar setup, is that the pistol pivots on that single attachment point way too much. You'll recognize it because you will be constantly pushing the pistol back to a zero cant position. Maybe that won't happen with yours, but it did for me and that's the very reason why I wouldn't have considered the holster you chose. If it works for you, great. I'll be very happy for you.

***Edit: And what did you do, buy a short one made for the 26 or is that an optical illusion? It doesn't look like you could put a 19 in that thing.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dben: Can you compare and contrast what's so different about this one versus the other(s) you tried? Seems there are some subtle and perhaps not-so-subtle aspects that make this one so much more comfortable, effective. Care to describe? Might help others who are looking for a decent AIWB rig.
I'll try.....the Old Faithful was just a little two wide in my opinion for appendix carry and based on the two belt clips it uses I was restricted by pants belt loops as to where I could place it. In the exact 2:00 o'clock position I was on top of a pants loop in most cases so I would have to go more to the front or more to the side taking me out of the 2 position. Also the fact that the back was leather the loaded 26 handle had a tendency to lean out away from the body even after putting a wedge on the back of it. Also the Old Faithful trigger guard was kinda at or below the belt line and I had to be somewhat careful when re-holstering. Now all in all if that's all that was available these items would not prohibit appendix usage.

This one carries the weight just as well, can go at the 2 position on the button. It's easier (quicker) to put on/take off. Because it's not so wide it feels much better. re-holstering is no problem at all as this is total kydex and the trigger guard is above the belt.

Hope that helps.........

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You should use it for a while (not in terms of hours or minutes) before you decide you are in love. It'll make the divorce less messy... :tongue:

In all seriousness, you'll have a much better frame of reference, after EDCing it for a month or so, to make some observations about your new holster. The thing that I hope you don't find, but I did with a similar setup, is that the pistol pivots on that single attachment point way too much. You'll recognize it because you will be constantly pushing the pistol back to a zero cant position. Maybe that won't happen with yours, but it did for me and that's the very reason why I wouldn't have considered the holster you chose. If it works for you, great. I'll be very happy for you.

***Edit: And what did you do, buy a short one made for the 26 or is that an optical illusion? It doesn't look like you could put a 19 in that thing.
Expat..again as usual you are correct. This holster does pivot a very small amount when sitting but the amount of pivot is very minimal and actually it pivots into a better sitting position than if fixed in place and not movable IMHO..Of course I have only been wearing it since 10:00am this morning but I don't even notice the pivot really. Now I use a thin gunbelt (Tactical 5.11) reinforced with something in the center. If I move up to a thicker gun belt I don't think there would be any pivot at all. (again IMHO).

And yes this was fit for the 26/27/28/33. A 19 would fit but would extend out of the bottom.

Again, thanks for stopping in...always a pleasure.....

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
As requested...foam wedge picture....(another green pickle on a holster....LOL)......

View attachment 76574
"dben," eh? Nope! Sponge Ben ... Square Pants. :rofl:

But, hey. Whatever works. And if it makes all the difference between keeping the butt-end tightly against the body and unseen (versus not), while maintaining reliability of carry position, then it sounds like a great change.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"dben," eh? Nope! Sponge Ben ... Square Pants. :rofl:
But, he. Whatever works. And if it makes all the difference between keeping the butt-end tightly against the body and unseen (versus not), while maintaining reliability of carry position, then it sounds like a great change.
Now I don't care who you are that's funny......................................................................................................................

·
Registered
971 Posts
Curious for more feedback once you have worn the holster for a while. I bought one and never gave it a chance. I took it out felt it rode to high and returned it. Honestly I wish I would have given it more of a chance. What did you make your wedge out of?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Curious for more feedback once you have worn the holster for a while. I bought one and never gave it a chance. I took it out felt it rode to high and returned it. Honestly I wish I would have given it more of a chance. What did you make your wedge out of?
Well I understand what you are saying...however...I really had two requirements for a AIWB holster...first was concealment and second was a high ride so as to be able to have a full shooting grip on the weapon during extraction..This one does both and exceeds my expectations.

Ah yes..the big green pickle wedge....it is actually a form of styrofoam that is kinda spongy and soft. don't know the technical designation of it. but here are a few pic's of it...

0000ct6.jpg 0000ct7.jpg 0000ct8.jpg

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The other neat part I like about this holster ....Although not advertised as tuckable...you sure can do it with this one...there's more than enough room to tuck......

0000ct9.jpg 0000ct10.jpg

I know..it's only been 25 hours but I really can't find any negative's about this rig....and I generally know within 10 minutes of a new holster if I like it or not......been through a few I have mate........ anyway....that's the poop on this one.....now...for the rest of the story.....................................................

·
Registered
971 Posts
"Well I understand what you are saying...however...I really had two requirements for a AIWB holster...first was concealment and second was a high ride so as to be able to have a full shooting grip on the weapon during extraction..This one does both and exceeds my expectations.
Ah yes..the big green pickle wedge....it is actually a form of styrofoam that is kinda spongy and soft. don't know the technical designation of it."
Yes before I purchased my current AIWB from JMkydex I had never seen how well a wedge could add to concealment. I had always felt I had to sacrafice a quick draw for concealment. I am wanting to add a wedge to some more holsters that I own and undecided what foam and where to get it

1 - 20 of 31 Posts