Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...on with the saga.....been carrying appendix 2:00 oclock in an old faithful holstser and though it was kinda nice..... with the help of a few here and one particular I was introduced to what's called a dedicated AIWB holster. As I had never had a dedicated made for AIWB I was not really aware of the differences.

So here it is.....Comp-tac 2:00 O'clock AIWB.

A few said they though I made a mistake getting this one....

I absolutely love it....way more comfortable than the Old Faithful which has really surprised me......!!!!

If I have made a mistake, it is not apparent to me yet......this rig is really nice......

Handgun holster Gun accessory Airsoft gun Airsoft
Handgun holster Gun accessory Airsoft gun
Seat belt Auto part
Waist Abdomen Belt Hip Trunk

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
I like the looks of that holster! Congrats!

·
Registered
21,154 Posts
Does it have anything to hold the gun in? I found something with a snap to hold it in will only work because I crawl on the ground a lot....hee hee, no, not drinking but gardening.

Nice looking holster, just couldn't tell if it had something to hold it down in case you decide to do a cart wheel or something. :gah:

(don't take that wrong, I love the holster and not that happy where I carry mine and how it fits, but I am all over the place at times in the yard and I have had trouble dropping my guns and concerned about shooting myself ~ if the gun will stay I'm interested!)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does it have anything to hold the gun in? I found something with a snap to hold it in will only work because I crawl on the ground a lot....hee hee, no, not drinking but gardening.

Nice looking holster, just couldn't tell if it had something to hold it down in case you decide to do a cart wheel or something. :gah:
It has two retention screws, so you can set it as tight as you want it......

·
Registered
21,154 Posts
It has two retention screws, so you can set it as tight as you want it......
Thank you, that would work!

Neither of my Smiths have a safety on them and dropping the gun/guns while pulling weeds was a problem the first of this year. Did you get it on Amazon or a gun web site?

·
Registered
45,709 Posts
dben: Can you compare and contrast what's so different about this one versus the other(s) you tried? Seems there are some subtle and perhaps not-so-subtle aspects that make this one so much more comfortable, effective. Care to describe? Might help others who are looking for a decent AIWB rig.

·
Premium Member
7,993 Posts
You should use it for a while (not in terms of hours or minutes) before you decide you are in love. It'll make the divorce less messy... :tongue:

In all seriousness, you'll have a much better frame of reference, after EDCing it for a month or so, to make some observations about your new holster. The thing that I hope you don't find, but I did with a similar setup, is that the pistol pivots on that single attachment point way too much. You'll recognize it because you will be constantly pushing the pistol back to a zero cant position. Maybe that won't happen with yours, but it did for me and that's the very reason why I wouldn't have considered the holster you chose. If it works for you, great. I'll be very happy for you.

***Edit: And what did you do, buy a short one made for the 26 or is that an optical illusion? It doesn't look like you could put a 19 in that thing.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dben: Can you compare and contrast what's so different about this one versus the other(s) you tried? Seems there are some subtle and perhaps not-so-subtle aspects that make this one so much more comfortable, effective. Care to describe? Might help others who are looking for a decent AIWB rig.
I'll try.....the Old Faithful was just a little two wide in my opinion for appendix carry and based on the two belt clips it uses I was restricted by pants belt loops as to where I could place it. In the exact 2:00 o'clock position I was on top of a pants loop in most cases so I would have to go more to the front or more to the side taking me out of the 2 position. Also the fact that the back was leather the loaded 26 handle had a tendency to lean out away from the body even after putting a wedge on the back of it. Also the Old Faithful trigger guard was kinda at or below the belt line and I had to be somewhat careful when re-holstering. Now all in all if that's all that was available these items would not prohibit appendix usage.

This one carries the weight just as well, can go at the 2 position on the button. It's easier (quicker) to put on/take off. Because it's not so wide it feels much better. re-holstering is no problem at all as this is total kydex and the trigger guard is above the belt.

Hope that helps.........

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You should use it for a while (not in terms of hours or minutes) before you decide you are in love. It'll make the divorce less messy... :tongue:

In all seriousness, you'll have a much better frame of reference, after EDCing it for a month or so, to make some observations about your new holster. The thing that I hope you don't find, but I did with a similar setup, is that the pistol pivots on that single attachment point way too much. You'll recognize it because you will be constantly pushing the pistol back to a zero cant position. Maybe that won't happen with yours, but it did for me and that's the very reason why I wouldn't have considered the holster you chose. If it works for you, great. I'll be very happy for you.

***Edit: And what did you do, buy a short one made for the 26 or is that an optical illusion? It doesn't look like you could put a 19 in that thing.
Expat..again as usual you are correct. This holster does pivot a very small amount when sitting but the amount of pivot is very minimal and actually it pivots into a better sitting position than if fixed in place and not movable IMHO..Of course I have only been wearing it since 10:00am this morning but I don't even notice the pivot really. Now I use a thin gunbelt (Tactical 5.11) reinforced with something in the center. If I move up to a thicker gun belt I don't think there would be any pivot at all. (again IMHO).

And yes this was fit for the 26/27/28/33. A 19 would fit but would extend out of the bottom.

Again, thanks for stopping in...always a pleasure.....

·
Registered
45,709 Posts
As requested...foam wedge picture....(another green pickle on a holster....LOL)......

View attachment 76574
"dben," eh? Nope! Sponge Ben ... Square Pants. :rofl:

But, hey. Whatever works. And if it makes all the difference between keeping the butt-end tightly against the body and unseen (versus not), while maintaining reliability of carry position, then it sounds like a great change.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"dben," eh? Nope! Sponge Ben ... Square Pants. :rofl:
But, he. Whatever works. And if it makes all the difference between keeping the butt-end tightly against the body and unseen (versus not), while maintaining reliability of carry position, then it sounds like a great change.
Now I don't care who you are that's funny......................................................................................................................

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Curious for more feedback once you have worn the holster for a while. I bought one and never gave it a chance. I took it out felt it rode to high and returned it. Honestly I wish I would have given it more of a chance. What did you make your wedge out of?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Curious for more feedback once you have worn the holster for a while. I bought one and never gave it a chance. I took it out felt it rode to high and returned it. Honestly I wish I would have given it more of a chance. What did you make your wedge out of?
Well I understand what you are saying...however...I really had two requirements for a AIWB holster...first was concealment and second was a high ride so as to be able to have a full shooting grip on the weapon during extraction..This one does both and exceeds my expectations.

Ah yes..the big green pickle wedge....it is actually a form of styrofoam that is kinda spongy and soft. don't know the technical designation of it. but here are a few pic's of it...

Grass Plant Flowerpot Houseplant Tree
Hand Finger Nail Grass Comfort food
Green Grass Plant Shrub

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The other neat part I like about this holster ....Although not advertised as tuckable...you sure can do it with this one...there's more than enough room to tuck......

T-shirt Personal protective equipment Jeans
Handgun holster Personal protective equipment Police Belt Jacket

I know..it's only been 25 hours but I really can't find any negative's about this rig....and I generally know within 10 minutes of a new holster if I like it or not......been through a few I have mate........ anyway....that's the poop on this one.....now...for the rest of the story.....................................................

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
"Well I understand what you are saying...however...I really had two requirements for a AIWB holster...first was concealment and second was a high ride so as to be able to have a full shooting grip on the weapon during extraction..This one does both and exceeds my expectations.
Ah yes..the big green pickle wedge....it is actually a form of styrofoam that is kinda spongy and soft. don't know the technical designation of it."
Yes before I purchased my current AIWB from JMkydex I had never seen how well a wedge could add to concealment. I had always felt I had to sacrafice a quick draw for concealment. I am wanting to add a wedge to some more holsters that I own and undecided what foam and where to get it

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.