Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new poster here.

Just got my Maine resident renewal. 6 weeks. The law lets you carry after 30 days have elapsed on a renewal applicaton... All last week I felt odd, carrying with no permit!

Of course during those 6 weeks my NH permit lapsed. I can apply for that tomorrow and should have it in another week or two. That should hold me over until I go for FL an MA.

But this whole state versus state thing is crazy. Let's face it - if you pass a background check, prove competency through a class or demonstrate on the police range, you should be good to go in any state. Oh well I'll stop the rant.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Welcome Shizzle :smilez:

Indeed the state by state variation is pretty crazy when you look at both extremes. PA of course is one of the best extremes - no hassles at all if NICS is clear.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Welcome. Yep, politics at its finest.

·
Registered
117 Posts
At least in part this is due to the differing requirements to get a permit. In Florida, the class is a one day with no 'real' shooting competency test and no written test. Others have strong range requirements and onger class sessions.
I fear that pushing for every state acceptance would mean standardizing on the requirments, probably the most stringent in order to satisfy all concerned..

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even if the requirements for a standardized permit are the most stringent around, I'd be okay with that.
Eliminate the local BS and the hooplah and keep it quick.

Is that too big of a concession? Give me the fingerprints, the class time, range proficiency, legal seminar, and background check - and then be done with it.

Honestly, I CCW to protect my life and the lives of those with me. I *WANT* to be proficient. If there is a range test that I cannot pass, then that is MY problem. Not to sound too left wing, but I want everyone else carrying to be competent too!

ME has been great, no problems getting a permit. 6 weeks turn around for all 3 resident ME permits that I have had. The only requirement was a certificate of proficiency within the last 5 years. I submitted my instructor certificate 9 years ago and they have not asked me to recertify.

Then again in MA, it took about 8 months for my rifle permit (FID)... And I had to sit through a legal seminar to get my pistol permit.

/rant off

·
Banned
159 Posts
The ideal model for CCW application would be like it is here in Alabama. Go to Sheriff's office, show drivers license, pay $20. Wait 20 minutes for background check, then given permit.

Less than one hour.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Glad to hear the Maine renewal process is easy. :) I only just got mine last summer, so no renewal for a bit though.

Welcome to the forum from another Mainer!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jamz,
The ME renewal is essentially the same as an initial application.

And renewal can be easier if your liscense is issued through the state police (not your local city). Renewals through the SP do not require you to submit any training certification. I think the initial applications require a cert from within the past 5 years?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts