Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about looking for a new "hobby" and holster making crossed my mind. Now I'm not thinking of making them to sell or anything, just something for myself but mainly just something to work on from time to time. I'm sure some people have experience in this and I'm just looking for any advice on where to buy supplies or any advice in general. Thanks and have a blessed day.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I've been pondering this as well. Does anyone have a link to getting set up to do Kydex holsters? Been wondering on how to order the material and what equipment one needs to do this.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I just started making kydex holsters as a hobby...

WARNING: extremely addicting!

If you're into the idea of using kydex, a Google search will get you all the info and instruction you need.
Hey ChadliusNH - Got any sources on starting up making Kydex holsters?

·
Administrator
144,354 Posts
Here is a STEP BY STEP with pictures.
Procedure For Forming Kydex
You can buy Kydex on Ebay - right when you first start out you might want to buy a few sheets in odball colors because they are usually selling cheaper.

Just search ebay for Kydex Sheet - Buy It Now - Lowest Price First and start shopping from there.

·
Administrator
144,354 Posts
Oh...BTW - The OP did not say if he wanted to start making holsters in leather or Kydex. ???

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had kydex in mind when asking the question but any and all comments are welcome because nothing is set in stone. Thanks for all the responses so far.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Here is a STEP BY STEP with pictures.
Procedure For Forming Kydex
You can buy Kydex on Ebay - right when you first start out you might want to buy a few sheets in odball colors because they are usually selling cheaper.

Just search ebay for Kydex Sheet - Buy It Now - Lowest Price First and start shopping from there.
QKShooter - the link you posted seems to be bad. Would you mind trying it again?

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's a fun hobby, I have made a few for my self and relatives.

one for my sr40c

one for a kimber

I still need to make a couple more full kydex holsters for owb carry.

I picked up some kydex sheets online, pack of 8 for $30 on Amazon. built my own press out of thick foam, a couple Velcro straps and 2 one foot square pieces of partical board. Cut the amount you need of the kydex sheet, heat the oven to 160, bake it for approx 5-6min place the gun on the foam, kydex over the gun and sandwich the foam sides together and hold until it's cool. a little trimming and sanding and you're good.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Nice work AZ40. Particularly the last one. As a novice leather worker and holster maker I use the ones I make right now while I learn the little tricks about belt loop placement and like in the case of the ones you pictured; a place for the fingers to make full contact with the stock and grips. You will notice you have a clean shot at doing this on the last one pictured but not the first one. Maybe it was a lesson you learned instinctively after trying it on.

Good coverage on the trigger guard, support above and below the kydex so it doesn't ride on your skin, the right cant for the customer, and belt loop placement are some of the most important things to think about when designing your own holster.

Leather working isn't a cheap hobby though and one needs to think about how far into it to go. I'm not into doing a lot of art work so I buy embossing plates and use a press to do those kind of things. An embossing roller is good too. I find a small band saw and belt sander gets used a lot. Unless someone plans on doing the stitching by hand; a good leather sewing machine will cost around $3k. Expensive but worth every penny when doing more than just a couple of items.

I got the Cobra Class 4 machine that stitches through 3/4" of leather at one time. It truly is a dream machine for a leatherworker. I started out thinking a few hundred bucks would get me to where I needed to be with tools and some leather. Ten grand later I have transformed a bedroom into a full blown leather shop. :embarassed: It's fun though and I will disappear in there for full days sometimes... I currently make a few bucks here and there making thigh heat shields for the Victory bagger and touring bikes. At the time of this writing; I am the only person in the world doing it to my knowledge.

I bought some Kydex to play around with so I guess I should go ahead and build a press. I understand you can do some touch up work with a heat gun. For occasional use I have found Harbor Freight a good way to keep some tooling costs down. YouTube is a great resource for learning and figuring out what you will need and how big to go with tools and other items.

·
Premium Member
37,583 Posts
Here are a couple I have made for myself. Other posters are correct, it becomes very addictive. I like working with the .08 thickness.

1006 10mm 023.JPG M&P full size 003.JPG

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nice work AZ40. Particularly the last one. As a novice leather worker and holster maker I use the ones I make right now while I learn the little tricks about belt loop placement and like in the case of the ones you pictured; a place for the fingers to make full contact with the stock and grips. You will notice you have a clean shot at doing this on the last one pictured but not the first one. Maybe it was a lesson you learned instinctively after trying it on.

Good coverage on the trigger guard, support above and below the kydex so it doesn't ride on your skin, the right cant for the customer, and belt loop placement are some of the most important things to think about when designing your own holster.
The top one for the sr40c actually has a really good finger placement when worn IWB. it has about a 10-15° cant when worn which makes for great finger placement, ease of draw and reholstering. There is room for improvement, little tweaks here and there but that is what I carry daily and I can't complain one bit about it.

the second one was for my father. He wanted an OWB setup with less cant ( about 5°) and needed more finger room. He wanted to be able to get 4 fingers on the grip on the draw wwhich is accomplished with that setup, while with mine I wanted a deep tuck and 3 fingers on the grip. It's all personal preference. Plus side is I can knock out 10-12 holsters to figure out my preference for the same cost as 1 of the same style holsters if bought on line.

·
Administrator
144,354 Posts
These days I am only making knife sheaths occasionally.
I am using an older TippMann BOSS.
I also have a vintage shoemaker repair machine for thinner leathers.

I like the BOSS because I can place one slow stitch at a time and through very thick layers of leather.

It is a PITA to change thread thicknesses and needle sizes and have everything stay in perfect adjustment - so I just mostly stay with one stitching cord size and one needle style that (I think) gives me the nicest looking stitch.

I like it also because since it is manually operated I can pull my stitches very tight.
There are much faster production machines out there but, I bought my BOSS at a really great introductory price. It also was a demo.

I figure that if I am going post a PIC of the machine here I might as well search the WEB for a PIC of the machine and a purdy female.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts