Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure that most of us who've been around for awhile are already pretty well "set" with regard to self-defense "items".

But, what are your thoughts regarding 10-round magazines?

I do think it may be wise to acquire a few 10-round mags for your favorite "larger-capacity" pistols NOW, given the distinct possibility that we may have Biden/Harris running our country SOON.

I can see the first move from Biden/Harris being making possession of magazines with more than a 10-round capacity a FEDERAL CRIME.

And if that should happen, you wouldn't want to be carrying around your EDC pistol with more than a 10-round mag - why take the risk? And of course, then would not be the most opportune time to try to buy 10-round magazines, either.

Some of my pistols already max out with 10-round magazines, so they are well-prepared for the possibility. But with a couple of my high-cap pistols, having a couple of 10-rounders in the storage bin might make some good sense - useful, anyway, if traveling to or through an area which already has the 10-round limit enforce.

Of course with Biden/Harris in the executive branch, we would likely have a LOT more to worry about than just a 10-round mag cap. :oops: But that's a start, anyway.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If Harris pushes the same changes / laws as she championed here in California then I’d agree the first target will be standard capacity magazines followed by black rifles. However they grandfathered in those owned stocks the time of passing so I’d be buying standard capacity magazines now not 10 rounders.

AR’s, lowers, if they get truly aggressive & are able to pass laws restricting purchases of firearm parts except through ffls then anything you need to build / maintain your tools & of course you should continue stocking up on components- this current shortage won’t pass any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
If Harris pushes the same changes / laws as she championed here in California then I’d agree the first target will be standard capacity magazines followed by black rifles. However they grandfathered in those owned stocks the time of passing so I’d be buying standard capacity magazines now not 10 rounders.

AR’s, lowers, if they get truly aggressive & are able to pass laws restricting purchases of firearm parts except through ffls then anything you need to build / maintain your tools & of course you should continue stocking up on components- this current shortage won’t pass any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FWIW, Biden's plan is that "assault weapons" and high capacity magazines will become NFA items. You will have to turn them in to the government or register them and there will be no new ones sold. I'm not saying he could pull that off, just that's what his position is.

Back to the OP, as it happens, I don't own anything that is currently targeted by Biden. I am an old-school revolver, 1911, pump shotgun and bolt action rife kind of guy. I think I would continue to try to stock up on ammo because I think that is going to be increasingly hard to get.

I'm also going to look into some hiding options and there are probably products related to that. I have some guns from back in the day with no paper on them. I'm going to find a place to put them, along with some ammo. Yeah, I know I won't be able to use them unless the SHTF, but that is the scenario I have in mind.

·
Vendor
1,638 Posts
Well if Biden wins it is a shtf situation cause I give it less than a month before Biden is claimed mentaly incompetent and Harris sworn is as president, I live in a second amendment county and don't plan to change anything, that Harris (fill this in) has said she would do an exe order to ban guns.
Vote people even if you hate Trump, would you rather be in a Biden/ Harris run country?

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Are there some things I would like to get, yes. Are they available to buy, no. This run on guns and ammo makes it so being better prepared is a bigger challenge.

Ironically, the one gun I want to update/replace is my bolt action deer hunting rifle. I could drive up to my LGS or Scheels and replace it today if I really wanted to. Seeing as its merely a want, and not a need, I am still waiting on finding a deal worth acting on.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I ordered a few extra "standard capacity" 13 - 15 round mags.
If a stupid nationwide AWB with no grandfathering is passed, I'm not carrying a Glock 21/22/35 with a asinine 10 round mag; I just won't, principle. :sick: I'll either carry a 26/27/33/30SF originally designed for 10 rounds or a 1911 - most likely go back to a 10mm 1911 with 2 spare mags, which I've carried by choice before anyway.
Glock 19/20SF/22/35/ with a artificially limited 10 round mag? NO, NO, NO, heck NO.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
FWIW, Biden's plan is that "assault weapons" and high capacity magazines will become NFA items. You will have to turn them in to the government or register them and there will be no new ones sold. I'm not saying he could pull that off, just that's what his position is.

Back to the OP, as it happens, I don't own anything that is currently targeted by Biden. I am an old-school revolver, 1911, pump shotgun and bolt action rife kind of guy. I think I would continue to try to stock up on ammo because I think that is going to be increasingly hard to get.

I'm also going to look into some hiding options and there are probably products related to that. I have some guns from back in the day with no paper on them. I'm going to find a place to put them, along with some ammo. Yeah, I know I won't be able to use them unless the SHTF, but that is the scenario I have in mind.

Wonder how that would work with magazines though since there is not a serial number? It seems like I remember P-Mags and Lancer's (probably other polymer mags too) do have a manufacturing date code molded in the body of the magazine itself but I have never seen a serial #.

IMO, standard capacity magazines are what one should stock up on right now....as long as you have limited capacity options available in the case of a ban.

I agree on the ammo. If people have not been stocking up, it is probably a little too late to get a reasonable supply without over paying.

I like the idea of hiding places for valuable items....kind of like hidden in plain sight. I'd be interested to hear some ideas. Although we would probably tipping the other side off by doing so.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
Didn't they try something similar in Connecticut a few years back? How is that working out?
It depends on what your criteria is for "working out." I think people often miss the real purpose. Pro gun people point at laws like that and the NY SAFE Act and laugh that a lot of people didn't comply. But I think that misses the point. Those laws succeed in making honest people who refuse to comply with unconstitutional laws into law breakers. Those otherwise law abiding citizens take a huge risk taking those guns and accessories out to shoot or letting people know they own them. They take a risk buying parts for them or transporting them. If LE suspects those people might have illegal guns or related items and LE wants to mess with those people, they can.

It is the difference between gun control being about guns, versus it being about control.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm thinking about it, but I just started reloading, so I've spent more than I expected there and am sort of stocking up there.

I'd love to get a Ruger 57 or a Mini 30, but they're somewhat cost prohibitive at the moment. Have most other items covered enough for now.

If the SHTF, common courtesy and such go out the window and I'll do what I have to.

·
Premium Member
4,903 Posts
If they get their way, They will be coming for my Pennsylvania Flintlock longrifle next.
Then we go back to the old ways, Tomahawks and Bows.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Then the ban on tomahawks, bows, and knives will be done. The desire for control leads to a non-stop trampling of simple basic rights. If you think I'm joking about the other possible bans then you didn't pay attention to those attempts made in the UK.

What stopped the knife bans in the UK? The chefs to the elite stupid said that any bans of their knives would cause them to leave the UK. Think about that. Nothing about that situation makes any sense.

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
I'm not inclined to be on my knees to any communist administration - I'm not stupid either. Let's just say I'll wait and see.

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
Yes they want to ban anything over 10 rounds .. Looking at Ca and other states I think at first they will just say they are banned like 94awb no one else can own them etc .I think they will go further then 94 and make them die with you ie no transfer no selling etc your stuck with them .I think they will also ban the import of any over 10 round mags as well .. During 94awb you could still legally import over 10 round mags as long as the import paper work was done and they were pre ban so a lot of AK47,74 mags came in this way . This will defiantly happen if they get in

I do see at some they fully banning over 10 rounds in and turn in orders but not for a while just too many in private hands , too many guns offered or sold with them now and no serial or tracing for most of them . I do see them trying to serialized the mags with the guns or requiring a back ground check to buy mag at some point . Or limiting you to only own x number of mags per caliber or gun

A further worry I have is they trying to pull some crap like import rifles ie if a imported or even any firearm can take over a 10 round mag it is a AW and banned ..Remember for a rifle to be legally imported into the USA for the most part it has to have a 10 round only mag (no not just import with one it cant take over 10) so you see AK with single stack mag wells etc being brought in or with no mag wells being brought in due to that .

That would the goal I think it wont matter if you have the mags you could not use them .. Ie forcing pistol company to mod or re do the mag wells of handguns to only take 10 round mags etc .

I def also think they will do what CA does which is sure you can own the mags but they are classed as a public health issues and will you cant be busted for them on there own the cops can still take them from you no cause needed .

Now is the time more then anything I would get mags for any gun you might want to own over 10 rounds ..I would also get mags for guns that might at least in the start be legal in a AWB like mini 14 or 30 , m1a , m1 carbines etc ie "fudd" guns that might at least at first be still legal or be made legal in case of AWB .

The dem are smart they have learned a lot since 94

1 - 20 of 61 Posts