Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whelp, Forbes tends to think his plan has enough merit to publish this interview. Good luck with that.

Rick Smith, The Man Who Plans To Make Bullets Obsolete

Rick Smith is the Chief Executive Officer of Axon Enterprise, a pioneer in less-lethal weapons and a global market leader in law enforcement technology. He notes that the gun is antiquated technology, and it is responsible for tens of thousands of senseless killings every year. Humanity has accepted that killing is an unavoidable fact of life, but Smith argues that it doesn’t need to be this way and that we have the means to make the bullet obsolete in our lifetime.

Smith founded his company, formerly known as TASER, in 1993 with the mission of “protecting life.” The company has since expanded its focus from the eponymous electroshock weapon to an ecosystem of integrated hardware and software ranging from body-worn cameras used by the majority of major US police departments to a cloud-based evidence management system.

Smith is also the author of the new book, The End of Killing: How Our Newest Technologies Can Solve Humanity's Oldest Problem. It is a manifesto on how we will be able to protect life without taking life “through technology that redefines public safety and makes our communities stronger, safer, and more connected.”
I have set a goal that in the next 10 years, we will have non-lethal weapons that outperform police handguns. That is going to be a game-changer because cops are not legally authorized to be an executioner. When they kill someone, it is not because they are out to kill that person. Instead, it is because when they do so, lethal force is the only way to reliably stop a critical threat. However, that will not be the case for much longer. We have a clear line of sight as to how we can outperform lethal force. We believe we will be able to stop someone faster without killing them.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterhigh/2019/10/14/rick-smith-the-man-who-plans-to-make-bullets-obsolete/#b2b909877e32

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
If they can develop "Star Trek" phasers that have multiple non-lethal settings then I'd give up my revolvers and semi-autos. Well, maybe, it'll be more fun to go to a range with something that shoots bullets. Phasers would be easier on the ears too. Tasers just aren't the best way to go and stun devices requires closeness to use.

Reactions: baren

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
If they make it work, I'm willing to carry it.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I see no problem with a system that reliably outperforms projectile weapons, as long as the people have equivalent weapons as affirmed in the 2nd A. Having said that, I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, all i see is someone's grand idea.

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
Yeah! I will believe that when I see it. I wonder what the non lethal super will that can take down a man with a rifle who is 100 yards way.

·
Registered
10,851 Posts
Bullets actually are pretty poor at stopping people quickly, especially from handguns.

If he can come up with something better, great. But...I won't be holding by proverbial breath.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Tragic for someone to think the modern weapon of choice is antiquated and useless. Especially seeing as humans have been killing each other with all sorts of weapons for all of time. We are violent by our base nature. It's our ability to think that can make us suppress that nature. Suppress, not remove.

Even should better non-lethal weapons become available, people will still kill others. That cannot change until humans are all dead.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Tragic for someone to think the modern weapon of choice is antiquated and useless. Especially seeing as humans have been killing each other with all sorts of weapons for all of time. We are violent by our base nature. It's our ability to think that can make us suppress that nature. Suppress, not remove.

Even should better non-lethal weapons become available, people will still kill others. That cannot change until humans are all dead.
I think this is the sad reality. Even if some non-lethal weapon which caused immediate incapacitation were devised, I'm afraid bad people would use it to make attacking & killing safer for them.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I think this is the sad reality. Even if some non-lethal weapon which caused immediate incapacitation were devised, I'm afraid bad people would use it to make attacking & killing safer for them.
Yeah, shoot you with the non-lethal gun in order to get you to be still so they can shoot you with a real gun. :image035:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Rick Smith is the Chief Executive Officer of Axon Enterprise, a pioneer in less-lethal weapons and a global market leader in law enforcement technology. He notes that the gun is antiquated technology, and it is responsible for tens of thousands of senseless killings every year.
Killing bad people in the act of committing violence against others isn't "senseless."

The senseless killings are those so far removed from Smith's "less than lethal" efforts he won't have any impact on them at all.

I think Smith is talking about when police shoot suspects on the very rare occasions those suspects turn out to be not so bad.

"I have set a goal that in the next 10 years, we will have non-lethal weapons that outperform police handguns."
You mean Tasers failed over the last thirty years? I recall in their earliest days they'd "make guns obsolete."

·
Premium Member
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gotta wonder how many “volunteers” he’ll find to test these new contraptions on the job.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts