Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After firing a couple hundred rounds at the range, a spot at the back of my thumb was worn raw, and I was scraped pretty badly on my trigger finger as well.

Any suggestions for not leaving the range with a bloody hand?

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
ID the spots that are wearing on your hand. Try to adjust your grip. If you cant or would rather not, try rounding out or smoothing those surfaces with a light file or even sandpaper.
Some will suggest gloves; forget that idea unless you are at the range to punch holes in paper. You wont be wearing shooting gloves on the street. Dont mask the problem; ID it and fix it.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
What kind of gun were you shooting? Was this from the gun, or loading the magazines, some magazines can be a PITA.

Like Sixto suggested, find out what is causing the problem. My Redhawk with the wood grips used to eat me up on full house loads. A set of Pachmayrs fixed it right up.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
If the pistol is ok, I use band aids until the callous forms. I had a couple this summer from new pistols. Now they are fine.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
ID the spots that are wearing on your hand. Try to adjust your grip. If you cant or would rather not, try rounding out or smoothing those surfaces with a light file or even sandpaper.
Some will suggest gloves; forget that idea unless you are at the range to punch holes in paper. You wont be wearing shooting gloves on the street. Dont mask the problem; ID it and fix it.
+1 ...what he said. I ran into a fellow a while back and he was showing severe signs of wear on his hands...particularly the top of the webbing between the thumb and index and the inside of all but one finger at the second knuckle. He had said he only had the pistol for a few weeks and had only shot it for a few times and every time his hand was getting torn up.

He had bought the pistol used at a local shop. One quick glance over the pistol revealed the obvious problem. The numbnut previous owner had stuck skateboard tape along the beaver-tail and around the front of the grip. Apparently the shop either never noticed or didn't care to remove it prior to resale. Every time he shot he was basically sandpapering his hand...:blink: Just a thought...

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Good luck the above posts' cover most of what/ wrong/fix & whatnots PS
Stick with it, You will only get better !!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This was with a Kel-tec PF9.

The spot on my thumb that got rubbed was right alongside the knuckle, above the web. This is where my hand is wrapped around the grip. The upper curve of the grip (where it curves back outward above the deepest indentation) rubs against my hand when I fire. I'm not sure how I can adjust my grip away from this position, but I'll look at it.

The spot on my finger is very clearly the edge of the trigger.

Gloves was one thought, although I would prefer to avoid it if possible. As far as "You wont be wearing shooting gloves on the street.", I also won't be shooting hundreds of rounds at a time on the street, either. A couple dozen rounds, as I've done before, offers no problems at all.

I was thinking that it might just be a matter of developing some callouses, as tiwee suggests.

I've got some stuff to look at, at least. As always, thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
This was with a Kel-tec PF9.

The spot on my thumb that got rubbed was right alongside the knuckle, above the web. This is where my hand is wrapped around the grip. The upper curve of the grip (where it curves back outward above the deepest indentation) rubs against my hand when I fire. I'm not sure how I can adjust my grip away from this position, but I'll look at it.

The spot on my finger is very clearly the edge of the trigger.

Gloves was one thought, although I would prefer to avoid it if possible. As far as "You wont be wearing shooting gloves on the street.", I also won't be shooting hundreds of rounds at a time on the street, either. A couple dozen rounds, as I've done before, offers no problems at all.

I was thinking that it might just be a matter of developing some callouses, as tiwee suggests.

I've got some stuff to look at, at least. As always, thanks for the info
Yep, gloves can and do work well at the range. I use a golf glove(cheap) when I take the Model 29 to the range. After a couple hundred rounds and the recoil causing the gun to rotate slightly in my hand and allowing my hand to ride up the backstrap, a glove fixes that problem, easily. Better grips are something I plan to get for it ASAP, but in the meantime the glove works great. It is thin enough I didn't even need to cut the trigger finger off the glove but it's just right to prevent any movement of the gun while firing.
Hopefully if I ever have to use it to defend myself, I won't be firing a couple hundred rounds at once:blink:

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
After firing a couple hundred rounds at the range, a spot at the back of my thumb was worn raw, and I was scraped pretty badly on my trigger finger as well.

Any suggestions for not leaving the range with a bloody hand?
You just need a 'break-in' period. It's okay....some say that if you're not bleeding, you're not doing anything. Some will say pain lets us know we're alive. Others will say change your ways or suck it up and be a man.
What would I do? Go back the next day and fire a couple hundred more rounds. You going to ride that horse or let him throw you?

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
At multi-day shooting classes I use Krazy Glue to seal a trigger finger cuts and my support hand palm where my mag pinches. It creates a flexible "bandage".

And I did that because...

...in the Marine Corps I used to fill my blisters with KG while humping with great results.

Just silly but effective.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Pain is just 'weakness' leaving the body...:yup:

My KelTec P-3AT is the same way, a dependable gun, but not a fun gun at the range.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
a cheap hogue grip sleeve can do wonders for KT pistols. If you're really cheap, you can make a decent grip sleeve from a piece of bicycle inner tube cut to fit. Or, 300 grit wet/dry paper will knock the edges off the checkering. Be sure to use the wet/dry paper on ALL of the plastic moulded flashing...that's always a source of rough edges, both on the grip frame "halves" and on the trigger itself. You can easily smooth all the rough spots out in about 10 minutes.

been there, done that... a few times:smile:

surv

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Athletic Tape.

I always put it on when doing extended range sessions. A piece on the 2nd joint of my thumb where the frame rubs and one on the pinky where the mag sometimes rubs... simple as that...

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Gloves was one thought, although I would prefer to avoid it if possible. As far as "You wont be wearing shooting gloves on the street.", I also won't be shooting hundreds of rounds at a time on the street, either.
You have missed the point of the glove comment; wear one on the range, you could become mentally dependant and cause a flinching issue.
But, thats really no matter anyway as the KT's are easy to fix. Swipe one of your wife's/mother/sister/girlfriend emory board and round out those edges that are catching your hand.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You just need a 'break-in' period. It's okay....some say that if you're not bleeding, you're not doing anything. Some will say pain lets us know we're alive. Others will say change your ways or suck it up and be a man.
What would I do? Go back the next day and fire a couple hundred more rounds. You going to ride that horse or let him throw you?
Heh - reminds me of karate class. If you don't go home with a couple bruises, you're not doing it right :)

You have missed the point of the glove comment; wear one on the range, you could become mentally dependant and cause a flinching issue.
Yes, I did miss that point. And thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Kel-tecs ARE torture devices. I shot most of the break-in rounds for my wife's .32, because she did not like it abrading her hands, and then, she didn't carry it anyway. It's basically a paperweight now.

It is not that we are wussies; we both favor snubbies that kick harder than the KT, and I shoot full-house loads in my SP101 snubbies. My Les Baer TRS has metal checkering on surfaces I am holding while shooting. The difference is that the snubbies fit our hands. My duty/CC P229s fit my hands, too, and I can shoot them extensively.

The KT can certainly be sanded down on its sharp bits, especially anything on the trigger and where the frame contacts the web of the hand. I have smoothed the edges of some sixgun triggers with a stone over the years.

Look out for part of you finger being pinched between the BACK edge of the KT's trigger and frame. Some folks don't notice that one, but a GP100, and some now disremembered autos, will do it to me, if I don't use a stone to round off the rear corner of the trigger a bit.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But, thats really no matter anyway as the KT's are easy to fix. Swipe one of your wife's/mother/sister/girlfriend emory board and round out those edges that are catching your hand.
Just thinking about this - can you do that to the trigger, too?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts