Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a website that sells and has the written material on how to make your own rounds. If anyone know of any sites please let me know thank you!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Reloading

Sounds like you are thinking about reloading.

By far, the best way to get started is to find someone who reloads and learn hands on from him.

Dillon Precision is a good place to start and you can get their catalog free at 1-800-762-3845.

...Don K...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes the way prices are going up i think is getting horrible i figure why not make my own for hunting. for personal protection i think it is better to buy store ammo

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
What sort of hunting do you plan on doing? Pistols or long guns? I'm set up for four rifle calibers now, and I can reload in the field if I need to. Lee Original loaders can still be had for under $25, and find some on EBay as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you guys for the vid and book info that is what i was looking for :). this is a great place and MODs sorry about posting the thread in the wrong place thank you for moving it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Reloading for pistol is pretty easy, rifle re-loading and loading for ultra long range accuracy gets a bit pedantic and more complex.

I Didnt buy any books myself, just watched a couple YouTube vids and read the instruction manual that came with the dies and powder measure + load data that came with the powder.

Ive loaded about 1500 9mm rounds and shot about 500+ of them with zero issues. All of them accurate.

3 Key things are for safe trouble free loads

1) make sure your load is safe
2) make sure the overall length of completed cases are within spec
3) drop in drop out test each round in your barrel

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would look at the videos online, if you want to read something then i would go to the library, that way you have no money tied up in something that you may, or may not like. just my .02

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Personally, every reloader should have at least one loading manual published by either one of the powder manufacturers or bullet manufacturers. There is simply too much information that is not available in the videos or die data sheets. Those are starting points, not the complete picture.

It is foolish economy not to spend the money.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What sort of hunting do you plan on doing? Pistols or long guns? I'm set up for four rifle calibers now, and I can reload in the field if I need to. Lee Original loaders can still be had for under $25, and find some on EBay as well.
I hunt with my 12 gauge. And when i get back home I am getting a muzzle loader. I all so shoot for fun my 9 mm and soon a 45. I am very new to the gun owning world. When i grew up my mother was against guns. I am slowly changing this. personally I have never even seen a reload done or what tools are used to do it. I like to have written material on any thing i am doing on hand that way i allways have it handy with me. the vids will do great as well but i find it easier to have it written in front of me. Where can you find those loading manuals and powder manufactures manuals? i have ordered one book off amazon all ready.

·
Registered
12 Posts
reloading for starters

do yourself a favor, talk to some guys at your local gun shop, get the general idea. Next, invest in a good reloading press. I personally have a Square Deal B set up for the 45 acp. I can reload 100 rounds for about $9.00. It is from Dillion. I read the press manual, visited their website and watched some youtube vids. some minor issues were solved by trial and error. However, when it is issues with the actual rounds, better safe than sorry. Follow the powder measures for your particular round to the tee!!! When in doubt, pour it out!!! Double check your powder often!!! If in the process of reloading, your press gives you a problem, don't risk a "double charge" shell, pour it out and start over!!! Not trying to scare you but it is no fun when your $800.00 gun blows up in your face. The damage to yourself and your gun is not worth it. Once you get it down, the reloading, you will pay for your equipment in no time. In the first year of reloading, I paid for my equipment 61\2 times over.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
When loading jacketed bullets I like to have the manual from the bullet manufactor. I also get data from powder manufactors. I think the bullet manufactorer prints data for best accuracy and expansion. Powder manufactors seem to be more concern with velocity.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
I am looking for a website that sells and has the written material on how to make your own rounds. If anyone know of any sites please let me know thank you!
First, Note the forum rules and disclaimer for reloading:

Reloading DefensiveCarry.com accepts no liability for reloading information posted by members. It is down to the individual posting to ensure safe standards and to readers to verify what they read - it is they finally who bear responsibility for useage of information. Remember - typos can occur!
We strongly recommend that in most cases quoted loads be derived from recognized loading manuals and if possible these should be referenced. Where loads do not have back-up reference data available, for instance with use of an unusual powder, then posters are asked to please detail their method for establishing their data. Irresponsible publishing of unsubstantiated ''guestimated'' data is deprecated and may be heavily moderated.

We sell Reloading books and manuals for Barnes Bullets, Homady, Lyman, Nosler and Sierra. Books and manuals ship for about $30.00 + shipping. We also sell an extensive line of bullets, powder, presses and all other related reloading equipment.

As other here have mentioned, It is best to get started by getting some hands on help for someone who reloads.

If you are interested, click on my Site Sponsor Link GundAndSupply.com Home. The books are not showing on the website as they should so PM me for a complete description of what I have.

SIG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts