Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Why I Carry: Attacker Claims Several Victims at MN Mall ? Bearing Arms

This is all over the news. Attacker was shot dead by off duty policeman.

I hate to have to live like this, condition yellow 24/7. But I do and that's just reality living in 2016 in America.

As for me, I am always packing unless the law says I can't. I try to eye scan faces and keep on the lookout for things that don't look right.

What a screwed up world we live in.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Having grown up in a large city(San Antonio) with street gangs and such, I was raised scanning my surroundings and learned early to defend myself and to watch my own 6. It's just second nature to me, even though I live out in the sticks now... The local LEO's know me and they know we've got each others' backs if need be.. Unfortunately, this is the world we live in and those who are oblivious to their surroundings are usually the first to fall victim... Stay aware.. Stay safe

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Condition yellow isn't so bad once you get used to it.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The only time I intentionally drop below condition yellow is when I am asleep. I wouldn't want to be the idiot who tries breaking into the house and wakes me up, though.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Just can't say it enough times.... this is why we carry,, why we choose not to be sheep in a world filled with wolves. We just never know when evil will come. It's sad but unfortunately that is the world we now live in.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
The only time I intentionally drop below condition yellow is when I am asleep. I wouldn't want to be the idiot who tries breaking into the house and wakes me up, though.
Even asleep, I wake up a few times nightly to walk the house and look outside. Definitely, when/if my dogs are barking at something outside, I'm up and looking.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I know this is not what you want to hear, But unless you have a high risk job or live in an extreme high risk area, You are safer now than you ever were throughout history. I'm not saying let your guard down, but things were a lot worse!

DR
Can you share your data on that with everyone please-
I think I did read somewhere that overall violent crimes like murder & rape has declined since 1991. But, most of what I've been seeing lately seems to point to the likelihood of becoming a victim of the crimes like HIR, assault, robbery, etc has increased in the last few years.

-

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
News from The Associated Press

Five minutes after authorities received the first 911 call, Jason Falconer, a part-time officer in the city of Avon, shot and killed the attacker, whose name hasn't been released. Anderson said Falconer fired as the attacker was lunging at him with the knife, and continued to engage him as the attacker got up three times.

The attacker had many minutes to stab as many as he could and got up three times after being shot.

I am not sure what the law is in that state and whether signs carry the rule of law, but in KY, with a reported 1 out of 4 citizens being armed, I doubt he would have lasted as long.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
tcox, that's because the "proceeds" of murder & rape won't buy...meth, crack & heroin. :mad:

Follow the money my friends, follow the money. :yup:

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Even asleep, I wake up a few times nightly to walk the house and look outside. Definitely, when/if my dogs are barking at something outside, I'm up and looking.
Dogs!, or even just one, bring such an important level of home security. Property security. Our only inside dog is a golden retriever and now 2 has grown to be massive in size for his breed but all muscle and lean with a very alpha attitude for protecting. Very blessed that he is our best friend. We never worry about a good nights sleep or about our home while we are away. The best Situational awareness scanner any family can have is a good dog.

I so worry about my S.A. skills. Our 12 yr old has the best in our family and while we all practice and preach inside our family to each other, she seems to be the meter the 8 of us use in evaluating our own personnel abilities. Any form of Martial arts is your best training tool for great S.A. skills. Back that up with range time and the ability to carry then we feel even more capable of good self defense.

Trust me, there is a good positive way to practice this in each family without feeling that it is sad we need to live in a constant state or level of awareness. Proud & blessed to live in these United States of America as threats are everywhere in our world. IMHO, most Importantly, it is also about being a good neighbor or citizen. It is not sad, just important and necessary, to stay alert for everyone around you daily. It will always be God, Country and Family in our house. Good people did not just start helping little ol' lady's cross the street since 9/11. There has always been a great need for Situational Awareness.

Saving lives is important, not just your own.

Reactions: MB53 and jumperj

·
Super Moderator
18,050 Posts
Since all the malls around here are posted and signs have the force of law I will respect their wishes and shop elsewhere. If for some reason I do have to go into a mall I get in and out as quick as I can while avoiding crowded areas and watching for anyone who appears suspicious or out of place.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Condition yellow isn't so bad once you get used to it.
You're right.. You do get used to it.. I walk around in a store like Wally World and try to pick out the ones that WOULD survive if a mass shooting or something like that was to happen... I feel pretty alone in that crowded store sometimes...But I'd rather go down fighting then be one of the sheep that goes without a clue.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Can you share your data on that with everyone please-
I think I did read somewhere that overall violent crimes like murder & rape has declined since 1991. But, most of what I've been seeing lately seems to point to the likelihood of becoming a victim of the crimes like HIR, assault, robbery, etc has increased in the last few years.

-
The FBI's data has shown a steady decline since shortly after WWII. There have been a few upticks, but most are regional.
If you remove the data from the usual areas of gang violence [ LA , DC, Chicago, etc..] the rest of this country is extremely safe! If you are not in an at risk profession, or in a high risk area your chances of being involved in a violent crime are very small. Its only the reporting of it that has changed. DR

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
You're right.. You do get used to it.. I walk around in a store like Wally World and try to pick out the ones that WOULD survive if a mass shooting or something like that was to happen... I feel pretty alone in that crowded store sometimes...But I'd rather go down fighting then be one of the sheep that goes without a clue.
Loneliness is born of fear and loathing of the self, and I'm as susceptible as anyone. I often view a stroll through the grocery store or walmart as if we're all just Borg doing our duties around the cube.

Condition yellow does not mean you can't smile and connect with the others. It means quite the opposite, actually. It means that you are willing to convey that you are not a threat and to see that most often, neither is the other. The only way we can tell who is actually a threat is to attempt a connection, within reasonable social self defense distances, anyway.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just can't say it enough times.... this is why we carry,, why we choose not to be sheep in a world filled with wolves. We just never know when evil will come. It's sad but unfortunately that is the world we now live in.
I'm betting this mall is posed for no carry. Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Funny, signs don't have the force of law here. Also, the 2 malls I go to regularly have no signs posted on the entrances, but, they are "gun-free zones", according to fine print on their websites. So, as there is no real way to know their status, why should I fail to carry there?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts