1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
This guy is probably in deep stuff....just depends on what ensued in the fight.

It seems extreme to me...but I don't know if a weapon was introduced or what type action took place in the engagement.

Reactions: baren

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
A few good shots (Right hook) to the noggin, could have took the guy out for the count. ; )
H/D

·
Registered
8,048 Posts
We don't know all the facts, but just based on the report, I join the righteous indignation at what the peeping tom did. It is despicable and he should have been caught and punished...by the law. But what he did is not a capital crime. We can't justify summary executions on every offense that enrages us.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
We don't know all the facts, but just based on the report, I join the righteous indignation at what the peeping tom did. It is despicable and he should have been caught and punished...by the law. But what he did is not a capital crime. We can't justify summary executions on every offense that enrages us.
Rape isn't a capital offense. Would you say the same if the father of an 11 year old girl walked in on the assault of his daughter and killed the assailant in a fit of rage? I'm not expressly disagreeing with you. But, I don't think it would be unreasonable for someone in such a violated state to take action against the perpetrator. It also states "a fight broke out". For all we know the peeping tom instigated the physical confrontation. The peeping tom didn't deserve to die for that crime, but how his death came about *may* have been reasonable. In any event, he instigated the events that led to his death. I have no opinion on guilt or innocence on the man involved. I would want to see the facts of the case: e.g. was the dead man beaten profusely, hit once or twice, did the man who killed him have any wounds, etc.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
The dead guy wasn't beat to death on the spot, he was transported to a hospital and died hours later. The news report headline is misleading.

Not enough info for me to say whether the guy being charged had sufficient justification to use whatever level of force he used.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
We can't?

I kid..I kid.

·
Registered
8,048 Posts
Rape isn't a capital offense. Would you say the same if the father of an 11 year old girl walked in on the assault of his daughter and killed the assailant in a fit of rage? I'm not expressly disagreeing with you. But, I don't think it would be unreasonable for someone in such a violated state to take action against the perpetrator. It also states "a fight broke out". For all we know the peeping tom instigated the physical confrontation. The peeping tom didn't deserve to die for that crime, but how his death came about *may* have been reasonable. In any event, he instigated the events that led to his death. I have no opinion on guilt or innocence on the man involved. I would want to see the facts of the case: e.g. was the dead man beaten profusely, hit once or twice, did the man who killed him have any wounds, etc.
I would understand and empathize if the father of an 11 year old girl walked in on the assault of his daughter and killed the assailant in a fit of rage. I would also hope a court would understand and empathize and accept a plea of justifiable defense of a third party or in absence of that, let him off easy. Temporary insanity or whatever. But I would not say he was justified if he intentionally killed the guy out of pure anger. A court would have to decide.

And I say that as a father of two daughters and a grandfather of three granddaughters. I can't even claim that I wouldn't kill the guy in that circumstance. But I could hardly object to being held accountable for it if I did. I should also point out that being a peeping Tom is a far cry from being a child rapist, so your argument is a "fallacy of extremes" and really has no bearing here.

You are right, we don't know all that happened in this case. That's why I caveated, "just based on the report." But apparently the criminal justice system thought he did something very wrong. Another article online says Vickery was covered in blood when police got there and that he is charged with manslaughter which carries a mandatory 9 1/2 year sentence in Fl. My question to you is would it be worth it to you to have to do 9 1/2 years, be a felon, lose all your guns and be a prohibited person for the rest of your life for the satisfaction of beating a peeping tom to death? Does that sound like a good deal?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I should also point out that being a peeping Tom is a far cry from being a child rapist, so your argument is a "fallacy of extremes" and really has no bearing here.
We don't know if the peeping Tom was or was not a child rapist. While I would not have beaten the guy to death...I would also not politely ask him to leave. He would be held against his will until such time as law enforcement arrived and arrested him.

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
If the homeowner had shot him I have my doubts that anyone would say anything other than it was justified in self defense.

Reactions: CWOUSCG and Sister

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
I can understand the emotion that drove the man to attack the peeper. However, when emotions get out of control bad things can happen, and this ia perfect example of that. Was the peeper a deadly threat? I doubt it, and I doubt that any info to the contrary will surface, As I see it based upon the merger facts we have the assailant committed manslaughter. Simple fact os that wanting to kill someone does not justify killing them, and wanting to punish them is a misplaced duty.

Reactions: baren

·
Banned
250 Posts
- peeping toms are weasels
- tom was prolly armed with a knife or something
- hero acted in a rage/self defense capacity
- acquittal on principle alone (nobody likes a peeping tom)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I hate to say it but.... It depends. If he was looking into my bedroom window at my wife? Call the cops. If he was looking into my 11yo daughters window? Different story.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts