Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Occasionally, I've wondered if I could 'pull off' a man purse worn with a shoulder strap. It seems to me that a man would have to look at least sort of funky to make it work: some ink, an earring, pony tail, etc. As of now, I've got pretty short hair and a gray mustache/goatee, but none of the other stuff.

I actually would like something that looked 'manly' enough to carry a gun, a spare mag, a flashlight and my cell phone. If it was sized properly, I might even be able to carry my Glock 23.2 and a spare 13 or 15-round mag.

Has anyone ever found such a bag? How does it look? How does it feel? Do you get a lot of looks from other guys? How does it feel in social situations - having a beer with the neighbors?

I appreciate the input. Pictures and links would be nice also.

·
Registered
289 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,470 Posts
I have a 1990's Coach bag I use for work. Made back when they were still quality. It's fine for toting stuff to and from the office, but it's a pain in the rear if I want to have a beer with someone or go somewhere where I can't leave it in the car.

I don't carry a lot, though. Knife, key fob, comb, gun, and money clip wallet. That' about it.

Women carry lots of things, men don't. It's just the way we're wired.

I also would never carry a gun in a bag when I can carry it on my person.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
I am not big into carrying a gun in a bag, but when I have had to, I have gone for something really mundane and unnoticeable: A computer bag. It's a "look" that a guy would not have to "pull off." Computer bags are so commonplace no one even questions them. And there are ones made with built in holsters.

My range bag is also a big computer bag that a company issued me but didn't want back.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
No way I would even consider carrying a purse. I'm a man, purses are for women.

·
Premium Member
4,543 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys are a riot! Lots of good ideas, despite the side discussion. I'm not thinking of this as an EDC, just something that would allow me to tote my G23 and a spare mag. Who knows? If it seems to work well and I can still attract chicks like I'm used to (ahem), why not make it a regular thing? I've often envied some women's shoulder bags. They look so functional. And, I don't like having my pockets full of bulky things like key rings full of keys … they'd fit perfect in the proper shoulder bag (you see, no longer calling it a purse).

Regarding someone tearing it off my shoulder, I'd wear it cross strapped with a stout strap. If someone tried to run by or even ride by on a scooter, they'd probably dislocate their shoulders (and maybe mine). Not to worry on that count.

I'll check out the links now...gracias mi amigos.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jeffrey - that's pretty cool. Definitely masculine, except for all the straps. I'd need something more nondescript than that.

I've also been thinking about my old Land's End canvas attache. It's black and is properly beat up after 30+ years of use. Hmmm.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bentlink - that is truly a work of art. However, a bit pricey and a bit too 'tactical' for me. Do you ever get any feedback when you wear it? What do you carry inside? I can't ever see parting with my wallet: that stays in my left front pocket, always, and it's very minimal with room for about 8-9 cards and a magnetic money clip. I'll take a closer look

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hear you hick63, but the idea of dumping those lumpy things into a bag is starting to appeal to me … keys, phone, a flashlight, etc. Like you, my typical MO is to gun up in the parking lot AIWB before I do any shopping, eating (Before Times) and then un-gun back in the car, keeping the gun between the drivers seat and center console (they just seem to tuck into that spot so nice!).

Naw, the shoulder bag would be for extended walks, long days on city streets. I could probably come up with other appropriate occasions given some time.

You got me thinking again. That's a good thing. Keeps those synapses firing!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jeanlouise - Not bad, not bad at all, but Jeez - the money you ladies are used to laying out for such things. I'm liking my old Land's End bag more and more.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts