Defensive Carry banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I wear a backpack while out and about on my motorcycle to carry extra stuff that needs to be carried.

No guns, but I'll carry extra ammo, speed loaders, and such if I'm going on an overnight trip.

·
Super Moderator
18,340 Posts
Ummm ... I don't know.

One certainly may carry in whatever conveyance he likes, but despite the fact that it's black and tactical looking, and even taking into consideration the grimace, week's unshaven beard, stance, fists and pose along with the camo cargo shorts, the Bang Muay Thai T-Shirt, the mirror aviators, the big Breitling, the tats, and the accessory werewolf, that fannypack makes him look twerp-y.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Ummm ... I don't know.

One certainly may carry in whatever conveyance he likes, but despite the fact that it's black and tactical looking, and even taking into consideration the grimace, week's unshaven beard, stance, fists and pose along with the camo cargo shorts, the Bang Muay Thai T-Shirt, the mirror aviators, the big Breitling, the tats, and the accessory werewolf, that fannypack makes him look twerp-y.
I was thinking it looked pretty good and wondering if I could pull it off. I can't. A shame really as I could put all kinds of stuff in there. Snacks, things like that. A banana maybe but not sure. Certainly some mandarins and beef jerky. A couple pens, a juice box.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,889 Posts
They are not fanny packs, they are belly bags. I have three, black, brown, and green for accessorizing. Mine all have built in holsters and quick pull tabs.

·
Registered
414 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,340 Posts
I was thinking it looked pretty good and wondering if I could pull it off. I can't. A shame really as I could put all kinds of stuff in there. Snacks, things like that. A banana maybe but not sure. Certainly some mandarins and beef jerky. A couple pens, a juice box.
Well ... as long as it's prune juice, I could do with one for me.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
LOL. Americans. Concerned more about image than functionality.

I'll wear a fanny pack if the need arises. I only prefer a sling bag over a "man purse" because it just doesn't seem functional to have a shoulder bag swinging around. The load is easier on the back and a sling bag is stable and allows front access without taking it off or putting down. Doesn't even have to look "tacticool" these days.Lots of choices.

A guy should probably cover all the bases. Man purse, sling bag, backpack, fanny or belly pack,briefcase.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Use whatever you feel comfortable with. If you wear it awkwardly people will notice, but generally if you wear it like it's just part of you few will notice.

I'm not a bag guy. I prefer to stay light and just use pockets and a waist holster.

Consider your environment.

I ride a public commuter bus to work (or did until coronapocalypse), 30 miles each way. When commuting I carry a backpack with basic get home essentials if I'm forced to hike: water, granola bar, paper maps, etc. Other commuters have all sorts of man bags, messenger bags, computer bags, etc. It's normal in that environment and blends right in. A messenger bag at a restaurant or out shopping, however, looks different and can draw attention.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Use whatever you feel comfortable with. If you wear it awkwardly people will notice, but generally if you wear it like it's just part of you few will notice.
Exactly! Own that purse. Throw it over your shoulder, toss your hair back, wiggle your hips a little and sashay right down that sidewalk. Don't get your heels caught in the cracks and don't ever let someone call you by the wrong pronoun. This is 2020.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Howdy!

I was a LEO firearms instructor and we did undercover weapons training for our division. We had officers show up with Fanny packs for training. They quickly realized that drawing the weapon out of one those was difficult, if at all under a stressful situation. Most officers found it was easy to place the weapon in it or draw it while it was of the body, but once it was secured and tighten down the weapon was as stated difficult to impossible draw. If you wear one are for that matter any type of off the body carry you need to see if it works for you.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Exactly! Own that purse. Throw it over your shoulder, toss your hair back, wiggle your hips a little and sashay right down that sidewalk. Don't get your heels caught in the cracks and don't ever let someone call you by the wrong pronoun. This is 2020.
Lol!

Not my lifestyle choice. But the 2A applies to all Americans, so if a dude in a dress wants a gun capable manbag I say "carry on!" Just practice with it and beware the risks of off-body carry.

I suspect the OP isn't looking at going the stiletto heels route, but there are many guys who occassionally use variants of a satchel or messenger bag... with manly buckles and he-man leather or canvas construction.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Occasionally, I've wondered if I could 'pull off' a man purse worn with a shoulder strap. It seems to me that a man would have to look at least sort of funky to make it work: some ink, an earring, pony tail, etc. As of now, I've got pretty short hair and a gray mustache/goatee, but none of the other stuff.

I actually would like something that looked 'manly' enough to carry a gun, a spare mag, a flashlight and my cell phone. If it was sized properly, I might even be able to carry my Glock 23.2 and a spare 13 or 15-round mag.

Has anyone ever found such a bag? How does it look? How does it feel? Do you get a lot of looks from other guys? How does it feel in social situations - having a beer with the neighbors?

I appreciate the input. Pictures and links would be nice also.
At my age people just assume it was an Oxygen generator, a Chemo pump, or other medical bag. A couple of plastic hoses sticking out would just encourage that! DR

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
We had a customer up here who always wore a fanny pack around his waste.
One day I just had to ask him if he used it to carry his gun?
He looked at me kind of funny and said no. I just like carrying all my stuff around in it.
Yea 1989 called and they want their fanny pack back.
Or he went home and told his wife He got made today! DR

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Concealing a Glock 23 is not difficult with a loose untucked shirt.
Is untucked the issue?
July18b.JPG

Reactions: 1gunsnowbird

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Everybody, sit back, take a deep breath and ask yourself: 'WWJBD'? What Would Jack Bauer Do? C'mon: Jack looked cool and he had an entire torture kit in HIS bag, along with a couple of flash-bangs, spare mags, a suppressor, and Lord knows what else. If Jack can pull it off, so can I. Just sayin'

I'm liking my old Land's End Attache case more and more: weathered black canvas, industrial strap, etc. The only problem I have with black attache bags (and for that matter, black range bags) is finding black objects inside, like guns, spare mags, flashlights, etc.

Always nice to have options and if I get to the point where my old G23.2 seems like the best CC option, I'll go with the attache case before I try to tuck that monster IWB at 3:30. After toting my Sig P365 and my Glock 42, the G23 feels humongous! But, it's a perfect candidate for the attache case.

Soldier on …

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Eberlestock sells a briefcase/attache with what seems to be a well-made, centrally-located, very-discreet holster, held closed with small magnets. It looks perfectly masculine. Its drawback is that the holster opening is so discreet, it might be difficult to find, in an emergency.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts