Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is why I try to go to our local range only on weekdays when there are few people around. It's a nice facility, but too many people here are very careless in their gun handling. I have had people point firearms at me unintentionally (on more than one occasion) who had no clue that such behavior was unsafe.

·
Registered
41,382 Posts
Sounds like a safety review for its ROs is due--and then some.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a safety review for its ROs is due--and then some.
We have no RSOs. The range is open 24 hours a day, no fee.

·
Registered
20,047 Posts
With friends like that, no need to worry about bad guys.

·
Premium Member
6,538 Posts
One State range (TN), I used to frequent probably should have been shut down long ago. Its a horrible design, and unmanned. Im talking about the Cheatham WMA Firing Range. Their are a number of pictures online showing the layout.

I would wear hunter orange deer hunting stuff (Vest & Hat), and if down range putting up targets would make sure to have a pistol on me.

They put 3 ranges side by side. Firing line just one continuous line for all three ranges. The 25 yard range is the first thing you encounter when you get there.

The next range is the 100 yard range IN THE MIDDLE.

Lastly is the 50 yard range.

A huge problem, other than all just being together, is that they use huge dirt berms as backdrops. For a range by itself, that is no problem. HOWEVER, imagine being on the 25 yard “pistol” range.

You cant see much of the 100 yard range, including the last half of the 100 yard target area of the range next to you. Btw, while there is three distances to shoot, its there is virtually no separation distances on the firing line. Really almost one continuous firing line for all of them.

So, the people on the firing line can easily be in place for their 25 yard range, see that it appears safe to shoot targets on their section, but totally miss the people putting up targets at the 100 years distance.

Worst design ever.

·
Registered
138 Posts
And this is why we call them ND's not AD's... Pure negligence on both of the people in the story.... There was nothing accidental about either of them...

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One State range (TN), I used to frequent probably should have been shut down long ago. Its a horrible design, and unmanned. Im talking about the Cheatham WMA Firing Range. Their are a number of pictures online showing the layout.

I would wear hunter orange deer hunting stuff (Vest & Hat), and if down range putting up targets would make sure to have a pistol on me.

They put 3 ranges side by side. Firing line just one continuous line for all three ranges. The 25 yard range is the first thing you encounter when you get there.

The next range is the 100 yard range IN THE MIDDLE.

Lastly is the 50 yard range.

A huge problem, other than all just being together, is that they use huge dirt berms as backdrops. For a range by itself, that is no problem. HOWEVER, imagine being on the 25 yard “pistol” range.

You cant see much of the 100 yard range, including the last half of the 100 yard target area of the range next to you. Btw, while there is three distances to shoot, its there is virtually no separation distances on the firing line. Really almost one continuous firing line for all of them.

So, the people on the firing line can easily be in place for their 25 yard range, see that it appears safe to shoot targets on their section, but totally miss the people putting up targets at the 100 years distance.

Worst design ever.
Our range layout was originally done with the help of the NRA, so the design is reasonable from a safety layout. The problem is that most people around here grew up with guns and think they know everything about them just for that reason. Most people are pretty safety conscious, but we have many folks who have no clue about what is safe and what is not.

Since the range is open 24 hours a day, year round, and our county is very cheap (no nice way to put it) there are no RSOs. I don't think you necessarily have to have an RSO to be safe, as long as everyone knows and follows the rules, but too many here don't. We will probably have a serious accident someday.

Reactions: ctr

·
Premium Member
8,320 Posts
Our range layout was originally done with the help of the NRA, so the design is reasonable from a safety layout. The problem is that most people around here grew up with guns and think they know everything about them just for that reason. Most people are pretty safety conscious, but we have many folks who have no clue about what is safe and what is not.

Since the range is open 24 hours a day, year round, and our county is very cheap (no nice way to put it) there are no RSOs. I don't think you necessarily have to have an RSO to be safe, as long as everyone knows and follows the rules, but too many here don't. We will probably have a serious accident someday.
It's good to have RSO's, but they can't have eyes everywhere all the time. I've seen some stuff go unseen by RSO's when they are looking the other way. It just takes a second. So even with RSO's, I'm always on the lookout.

·
Premium Member
36,727 Posts
Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
The range we use has no RO, besides shooting it offers fishing, camping, hiking and swimming, the only time it’s activity‘s are put on hold are during deer season, I don’t recall any issues.

·
Premium Member
6,538 Posts

The range I described is right outside of Nashville. Its free, open to all, etc. It was probably designed with hunters in mind for them to sight in their rifles.

Of course now its more like the scene from JAWS where all kinds of boats and people clog the harbor looking to get the reward on the killer shark.

·
Premium Member
8,382 Posts
RSO's help but shooter's monitoring each other's behavior is of prime importance.
Don't know how many times I would have to educate another shooter on basic safety even with an RSO on site.
Some do not know better, others just get lazy, then there are the tacticool know everything types who I have just given up on trying to help

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Time for some overdue re-training.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
I shoot a lot at an un maned range. I mostly go there on weekdays, early in the day, and have the place to myself. One of the attractions is I can usually pick up a coffee can to a gallon bucket of range brass! But I pick those times to avoid people.
One time I was there a guy had set up several cameras to film himself quick drawing at least three Glock pistols from his pockets and Mexican carried! I decided it was time to go before this guy shot himself [ or Me!]
And the Old guys are just as bad. I had one pull in and park at the back of the lot , set up and start shooting across the parking lot , across the firing line , and then down range! When I asked why he said he needed to lean on his truck for balance! I asked him to pull his truck up to the line if he need to lean on it! [ That would also put his and my trucks between us].
He tossed the loaded rifle on the passenger side seat and pulled forward, and I decided to go home! DR

·
Premium Member
8,320 Posts
I shoot a lot at an un maned range. I mostly go there on weekdays, early in the day, and have the place to myself. One of the attractions is I can usually pick up a coffee can to a gallon bucket of range brass! But I pick those times to avoid people.
One time I was there a guy had set up several cameras to film himself quick drawing at least three Glock pistols from his pockets and Mexican carried! I decided it was time to go before this guy shot himself [ or Me!]
And the Old guys are just as bad. I had one pull in and park at the back of the lot , set up and start shooting across the parking lot , across the firing line , and then down range! When I asked why he said he needed to lean on his truck for balance! I asked him to pull his truck up to the line if he need to lean on it! [ That would also put his and my trucks between us].
He tossed the loaded rifle on the passenger side seat and pulled forward, and I decided to go home! DR
Wow. That's a higher plane of stupid than one might think possible! Sheese!

·
Registered
11,536 Posts
The indoor range I go to is very good. They always have at least two RSOs for the 15 lanes and they are very professional and attentive. All guns have to be unloaded coming into the range. All muzzles must always be pointed downrange. If there are two people in a booth, with one giving instruction, only one of the two people may have their hand on a gun at a time.

Here's the thing I really like: The lane dividers are armored.

They have had two of those "rent a gun, go out on the range and commit suicide" events happen. As sad as those are, I don't think the other patrons at the range were in danger.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When we lived in California, we belonged to the Ojai Valley Gun Club, which had a fantastic facility, up in the mountains behind Ventura. If there was not an organized shoot going on, the first person who arrived at the range on any given day functioned as the RSO.

The gate was normally locked if it was not a regular range day. If on those days where there was no formal RSO, if anyone reported range safety violations, it would be dealt with in a strong manner. I never experienced a problem there.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts