Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wasn't sure where to post this incident. The article is quite short on basic information.
https://www.kxxv.com/hometown/bell-county/person-airlifted-to-hospital-after-attempting-to-remove-gun-from-holster-discharging-a-round

My wife was in the HEB parking lot across from the Whataburger. Every LE agency in the area responded to the incident. The chances are extremely remote that she could have been struck by a ricochet from the parking lot full of cars. But those in the Whataburger parking lot were at a higher risk, IMO.

Since my wife has her LTC and carries everywhere, legally, she commented that we are blessed for practicing gun safety.

I hope the local News follows up with the gun owner to complete the story. Whataburger gun policy is that OC is prohibited by civilians, but CC is allowed. It would be interesting to hear his story as a lesson learn for others.

* she got a pic of the Air Amb arriving at the scene.
whataburger_20190718.jpg

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Unless it was FMJ, a bullet from an ND that passes through a person bad enough to call in a life flight probably doesn’t have enough energy left to significantly injure anyone else.

The story, even without details, is a good example of why the general public should be taught that guns should stay in holsters as much as possible.

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
Too little info in the report assess any aspect of the incident. All we know is that it happened and someone had termed it a negligent discharge. Guessing, a ND while upholstering is likely to strike the leg. The two most lethal points are anywhere along the femoral artery and at the artery that connects the femoral by passing through the knee to the lower leg. A shot in the knee could dislodge bones. That had been known to cause an arterial rupture from post impact movement. Maybe the air evac was a good idea.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Hope they tell more about what happened. It might have been stupidity or maybe it could have happened to anybody just as easily. I don't mind learning from other peoples mistakes. That saves me a lot of pain. Sometimes it is just a reminder to not do something stupid. Probably got more information from you and your wife than people are going to see on the ten o:clock news. Good job.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Unless it was FMJ, a bullet from an ND that passes through a person bad enough to call in a life flight probably doesn’t have enough energy left to significantly injure anyone else.

The story, even without details, is a good example of why the general public should be taught that guns should stay in holsters as much as possible.
Amen to that.

Reactions: baren and graydude

·
Registered
8,009 Posts
Too little info in the report assess any aspect of the incident. All we know is that it happened and someone had termed it a negligent discharge. Guessing, a ND while upholstering is likely to strike the leg. The two most lethal points are anywhere along the femoral artery and at the artery that connects the femoral by passing through the knee to the lower leg. A shot in the knee could dislodge bones. That had been known to cause an arterial rupture from post impact movement. Maybe the air evac was a good idea.
An ND while upholstering? I guess it would depend on what you were upholstering, a chair, a couch? Beware auto-type! LOL.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts

The story, even without details, is a good example of why EVERYONE should be taught that guns should stay in holsters as much as possible.
There, I fixed it for you.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Sounds like the guy is determined to harm himself either by a ND or coronary heart disease. One is slower than the other but both often wind up with the same end result!:blink:

Reactions: baren

·
Administrator
143,342 Posts
Because he wasn't allowed to open carry and he wanted a hamburger. With fries and a chocolate shake.
And now....hospital food is usually pretty doggone terrible.

Just FYI - Always better to leave the firearm holstered & remove the holster and firearm together if possible.
And if not an immediate deadly threat scenario then stop, think, and carefully remove the firearm from the holster.
You need to be not distracted and paying attention to what you are doing.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
OC not allowed? Just cover it up with one's shirt. Personally, I'm not generally worried about the person OCing as everybody knows he has it and the snowflakes will be memorizing his face to testify against them if they end up robbign the place. Me, I just give the gun a glance, the face a glance, then go on with business. Unless I see anger in the persons eyes or the gun is unusually nice. Forbidding OC is just a waste.

·
Super Moderator
16,091 Posts
I can understand a negligent discharge while holstering but the only way I can think of a discharge while unholstering is if he used the trigger to pull it out of the holster.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts