1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I don't understand why Manchin is pushing this so hard. He was "A" rated by the NRA. He serves at the will of a state that strongly favors gun rights. What is in it for him? That fact is if he wanted to do something useful, I am sure the NRA would work with him to craft a bill. Instead he is more intent on creating a bill that will do the bidding of his party leaders and little to nothing for the public safety and infringe on everyone's rights..

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
I don't understand why Manchin is pushing this so hard. He was "A" rated by the NRA. He serves at the will of a state that strongly favors gun rights. What is in it for him? That fact is if he wanted to do something useful, I am sure the NRA would work with him to craft a bill. Instead he is more intent on creating a bill that will do the bidding of his party leaders and little to nothing for the public safety.
I don't think that it is a far reach to presume that he's been offered a safety net. He's not worried about re-election.

·
Super Moderator
19,385 Posts
Manchin says there was confusion over what was in the bill.
There was no confusion over it, the bill included a way to require a gun registration scheme and got shot down, as it should have been.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Manchin ceased to be my Senator when he did exactly the opposite of what he stated before elected to the Senate.

His days are numbered in the Senate when he became the turncoat and traitor that was underneath all the glitter. I have the feeling WV voters, who typically vote Democrat party, have taken notice of his actions and perhaps we can rid the Senate of him that way. The election however isn't until 2014 and he can do loads of damage to the Second Amendment and other "rights" unless something comes along to radically change his mind. Let's hope common sense prevails and his "gun bill" gets killed for good. Only then will he get the message.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I think he does indeed have a safety net, or some other promise, or perhaps even a greater goal such as a national position in his sights. He's just pushing too hard. WV is decidedly a pro-gun state and there's no way even the majority of his democratic constituency is pushing him to do this.

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
He sounds like a kid that has already been told "no" to something about five times. And following the classic definition of insanity, he thinks that doing the same thing over and over will bring a different result. Meanwhile, Obama and Bite-me are holding their breath until they turn blue in the face because the American public isn't buying it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I guess my question is "who is pulling his strings?". I do not imagine his is doing the will of the majority of his voters.
Who? Why, it's the puppetmaster himself. You know him, the Obamination squatting in the offal office.

"The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." -- George Washington

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I don't understand why Manchin is pushing this so hard. He was "A" rated by the NRA. He serves at the will of a state that strongly favors gun rights. What is in it for him? That fact is if he wanted to do something useful, I am sure the NRA would work with him to craft a bill. Instead he is more intent on creating a bill that will do the bidding of his party leaders and little to nothing for the public safety and infringe on everyone's rights..
I have been asking myself that same question lately. I don't know of any politician who makes the initial effort to get elected, only to be happy about being in office for only one term. He must indeed have some kind of safety net, like bigmacque suggested. Perhaps Obama has promised him some kind of cabinet position. There has to be a reason Manchin is willing to go against the wishes of his constituents, making himself a one term Senator. There's more to this story that we don't yet know.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Yes Obama wants a gun control bill by the end of the year ..... because history tells us that he may well not have a majority in either the house or the senate after the mid-term elections. He needs to push this as quickly as possible.

My tactic so far has been to remind my representatives and senators that the obummer-care bill was passed with little or no review, just pushed through and voted on before anyone actually read the bill and understood all of the potential ramifications. At a minimum this will slow down the process.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
More on the Manchin-Toomey Mulligan hype

Hawkings Here | Everything that goes on within the U.S. Congress

Second Chance for Manchin-Toomey Gun Bill?

By David Hawkings Posted at 11:24 a.m. April 30

SNIP

Whatever their persuasive skills, the pair will also be aided by polling in states represented by some of the last senators who got off the fence and voted against the background check vote. Public Policy Polling, a Democratic-leaning firm, released results Monday of recent surveys showing declines in the favorability numbers for a handful of senators who signaled they were at least considering a “yes” vote but in the end voted “no.”

SNIP

:aargh4:

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2013/04/more-backlash-against-senators-on-gun-vote.html

April 29, 2013

More backlash against Senators on gun vote

New PPP polls in Alaska, Arizona, Nevada, and Ohio find serious backlash against the 5 Senators who voted against background checks in those states. Each of them has seen their approval numbers decline, and voters say they're less likely to support them the next time they're up for reelection. That's no surprise given that we continue to find overwhelming, bipartisan support for background checks in these states.

SNIP

:rant: ******** :aargh4: ******** :rant: ******** :rant: ******** :aargh4: ********* :rant: ********* :rant:********

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.