Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
The goal of the government during this crisis is to SLOW the spread (you often hear them say "flatten the curve" which means the same thing in this case.) If the hospitals cannot keep up with the new inpatients we will lose our "real" first line of defense, the doctors, nurses, emt's etc.

The second goal would be to reduce the maximum afflicted people (the PEAK of the curve). This too will help the first line of defense people.
At least that’s what they claim...

·
Registered
33,858 Posts
My mask observation for today--

Went to Fresh Market with The Boss today, both of us wearing masks, to stock up on its Tues chicken-breast special. It's kind of tight space around the meat counter, so I grabbed a small cart--the hand-basket size. I stopped with the wife as she is picking packages of chicken out of the cooler, and this masked woman is practically leaning over top of me saying--rudely--"Excuuuuuse me!"

Bad move on her part.

I went off on her and let her know in no uncertain terms that unless her ass was on fire she could back it away from me and keep her distance and patience until my wife finished getting chicken, and then she could have the whole cooler to herself. Even The Boss gave distance as I ripped the woman a new one.

And she seemed genuinely offended! It seems some people can bring out the worst in me, and these days that takes less.

And that is my mask observation of the day.

·
Premium Member
33,717 Posts

Went to Fresh Market with The Boss today, both of us wearing masks, to stock up on its Tues chicken-breast special. It's kind of tight space around the meat counter, so I grabbed a small cart--the hand-basket size. I stopped with the wife as she is picking packages of chicken out of the cooler, and this masked woman is practically leaning over top of me saying--rudely--"Excuuuuuse me!"

Bad move on her part.

I went off on her and let her know in no uncertain terms that unless her ass was on fire she could back it away from me and keep her distance and patience until my wife finished getting chicken, and then she could have the whole cooler to herself. Even The Boss gave distance as I ripped the woman a new one.

And she seemed genuinely offended! It seems some people can bring out the worst in me, and these days that takes less.

It's that bad up here, as well. I haven't had rude in my face yet, but my wife has. I wasn't there, fortunately or unfortunately.

Reactions: flh

·
Premium Member
33,717 Posts
Ah yes, FB, the tolerant, free speech and discussion bastion of the internet.
I had to delete it. The mods already have a tough enough job.

Reactions: Jeanlouise

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
Too bad we'll never really know the truth about this virus and it's spread because once they introduced false data into the mix, the whole thing was destroyed.

It would have been useful to know, so that the next virus that comes around could have been handled better.

I'm glad no hospitals were ever over-run, with the exception of NYC and that was preventable.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Too bad we'll never really know the truth about this virus and it's spread because once they introduced false data into the mix, the whole thing was destroyed.

It would have been useful to know, so that the next virus that comes around could have been handled better.

I'm glad no hospitals were ever over-run, with the exception of NYC and that was preventable.
I agree with you completely. It is really too bad that so many deaths are being attributed to Covid19 that are not actually caused by Covid19. It is also too bad that a lot of states and it's citizens were not allowed to see how well they could have controlled the spread of the virus with very simple and common sense measures and not have been forced into the draconian measures they have been.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

Depending on what news sources are to be believed , N.Y.C. was not overwhelmed , supplies were available , found in storage etc . All we heard on the news was Gov. Cuomo begging for help , we don't have this etc.

When the USNS Comfort arrived in N.Y.C it was soon sent back to Virginia, it was not needed .

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Security theater, for the most part. Just like TSA.

In the stores here, masks/face coverings are not mandatory. Even where aisles (this is the correct spelling) are made directional, most people are ignoring them. If I come upon someone dawdling (usually with their cart on one side, them on the other side of the aisle) I just say "excuse me" and pass on by.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Security theater, for the most part. Just like TSA.

In the stores here, masks/face coverings are not mandatory. Even where aisles (this is the correct spelling) are made directional, most people are ignoring them. If I come upon someone dawdling (usually with their cart on one side, them on the other side of the aisle) I just say "excuse me" and pass on by.
Aisles , thank you

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Depending on what news sources are to be believed , N.Y.C. was not overwhelmed , supplies were available , found in storage etc . All we heard on the news was Gov. Cuomo begging for help , we don't have this etc.

When the USNS Comfort arrived in N.Y.C it was soon sent back to Virginia, it was not needed .
And the 1000 bed field hospital in the Javits Center was barely used, same with some other temporary facilities.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts

Bad move on her part.

Oh you mean critter you!!! :vs_laugh::vs_devil:

·
Registered
33,858 Posts
And the 1000 bed field hospital in the Javits Center was barely used, same with some other temporary facilities.
At least all these cries for federal help were good practice for the members of the Guard, bless them.

·
Registered
33,858 Posts
Oh you mean critter you!!! :vs_laugh::vs_devil:
Yeah, my bad side has a hair-trigger micro switch. I've tried real hard to keep it suppressed, but some seem determined to ops check it.

·
Super Moderator
18,241 Posts

I could almost believe that this was contrived for a video and not real.

Almost ... but then the reality of people in America these days intrudes.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
If I lived in a rural area I might think that every thing I see on the news is fake too. But I don't and if all they want me to do is wear a mask in public and stay at home as much as possible that is the least I can do when so many people are risking their lives to try to save others.
I can't imagine the stress that health care workers who are working so hard to save others go through while they are trying to keep from contracting this deadly disease and from taking it home to their families.
Look if you don't want to believe the news about this deadly virus that is your business but why are you trying to get other people killed by acting like this is not real? All it takes is to be exposed and you don't get a second chance. If you are super healthy then you might survive it but you could just as likely die a terrible death.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
The goal of the government during this crisis is to SLOW the spread (you often hear them say "flatten the curve" which means the same thing in this case.) If the hospitals cannot keep up with the new inpatients we will lose our "real" first line of defense, the doctors, nurses, emt's etc.

The second goal would be to reduce the maximum afflicted people (the PEAK of the curve). This too will help the first line of defense people.
We are already losing our doctors and nurses. They are being laid off because elective surgeries are stopped. The hospitals are losing money. Many are blaming deaths on COVID even if they are not in hopes of getting financial help from the taxpayers. Some administrators have been caught fudging causes of death for this very reason. I personally know two nurses who were told to keep their mouths shut on causes of death under threat of lay off.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
All it takes is to be exposed and you don't get a second chance. If you are super healthy then you might survive it but you could just as likely die a terrible death.
CV 19 mortality rate- 0.6% Probability of general population dying- 0.0012%

Probability of dying in an auto accident- 0.9%

The disease is real and it can be fatal. The reaction is not proportional relative to other causes of death.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Nearly all of the other countries that were former hot spots have the virus under control while the U.S. goes unchecked. Maybe that is because of our rights. The right to be irresponsible no matter what the consequences are.
Asians didn't start wearing face masks because of the covid-19 they have been wearing them for a long time. They wear them as a courtesy to other people, to keep from spreading germs. Some wear them in the winter to keep their faces warm and some wear them to filter out pollution. Some wear them just to be fashionable. No matter what the reason is that they wear them if you travel to an Asian country you will more than likely see nearly all of the people wearing masks.
I wouldn't want to have to wear a mask all the time but I can wear one long enough to help stop an epidemic. I feel like people who can't do their share in trying to help stop the epidemic are letting us down as a country. So if you can't wear a mask to protect others then you are being unpatriotic.

41 - 60 of 124 Posts