Defensive Carry banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I've been around a while; watched Alan Sheppard and all early on. Did miss the moon landing during one of my all expenses paid Southeast Asian tours - This made up for it. Way to go, SpaceEx and Nasa!

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
I was thinking about first flights by manned spacecraft. I have watched a few:

X-15 62 - White
Freedom 7 - Shepherd
Feiendship 7 - Glenn
Gemini 3 - Grissom / Young
Apollo 7 - Schirra / Cunningham / Eisele
LM-3 (Spider) - McDivitt / Scott / Schweickert
Shuttle Columbia - Young / Crippen

And now:
Dragon - Behnken / Hurley

This one had a completely different "feel" IMHO.

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
Funny how times have changed. This would have been the top story for a week before and a week after back in the day. Now it's just a sidebar.

Back in the early 90's, I got to know Gene Cernan, the last guy to walk on the moon. The company I was with was doing some business with him. Pretty cool guy. And talk about having bragging rights that beat all other bragging rights, "last guy to walk on the moon," pretty much wins every time.

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
My son is working a security detail in Indialantic Beach just south of the cape and invited us up to watch the launch from his seaside hotel balcony. There was a TV right by the balcony slider tuned the the launch. I'm watching the countdown on TV and happened to look out to see the rocket going up! The broadcast was on a 15-second delay--in case something goes "wrong" they can cut the "live" feed.

Visibility was not great and the rocket went from cloud to cloud. It was smaller and less impressive than a shuttle launch, but still great to see the US back in the manned rocket business.

And the overpasses and beaches were packed tighter than NYC rats in a sewer and not hardly a mask to be seen.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
While waiting for the launch,I watched a documentary about the first moon landing. When Armstrong says "The Eagle Has Landed"
my TV screen got kind of "misty"..funny because I heard those words live in 1969 and several times since.:smile:

·
Registered
488 Posts

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
nothing makes you feel prouder to be an American than watching a launch like this. I am lucky enough to live and work about 50 miles form the Cape and have seen many. Nothing comes close....nothing.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I watched it with great fascination on the CBS livestream. Was working around the property. and remembered just in time to come in and watch on the first stream I could easily find.

Enjoyed watching the launch and all, but the CBS stream was infuriating. I will not watch them again for something like this. They have their banner band at the bottom of the screen, where they can run their broadcaster ID and chyrons, and the banner completely covered up all of the telemetry data that was being displayed for the launch, for the entire time I watched the coverage. It was in their broadcast that way. No way to change it by changing views or screen size or anything...

Ugh...

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
And just like the airliners, the guys up front are system monitors.

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
aa6046d00d64c46b928b7bfa4725864b.jpg

This is a photo of the typical overpasses around the cape during the SpaceX launch. Notice how well social distancing was maintained and the widespread use of masks. I passed on this and chose a fifth-floor balcony instead.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts