Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a manufacturer currently producing a derringer (over&under) in .38 S&W? Not .38 S&W Special.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Class3NH may have some ideas as he is in a gun store some of the time. I cannot think of anything. Oh, and so is rfurtkamp.

It does occur to me tho - that if you mean 38S&W - then we have a pretty anemic round! I forget spec' but - am thinking it would not even make 9mm power.

Are you wanting something like that to keep it real short?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I am not an authority, but they make derringers in say 32 H&R mag,so one could buy one and shoot 32 sw long out of it. is there a similar story with 38 S&W? I mean, if you get a gun in 38 special (my favorite caliber!) I suppose there are some obsolete rounds one could shoot in it, right? Is 38 S&W one of them? I remember there is also something called 38 colt, an obsolete police round. some interchange, but i do not remember which.
RB

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
P95Carry said:
Class3NH may have some ideas as he is in a gun store some of the time. I cannot think of anything. Oh, and so is rfurtkamp.

It does occur to me tho - that if you mean 38S&W - then we have a pretty anemic round! I forget spec' but - am thinking it would not even make 9mm power.

Are you wanting something like that to keep it real short?
:wave: If you're looking for the Cowboy Action types, then you're probably better off with a 32 H&R Mag, 45 Long Colt (where you can get lighter loads for it) If you're stuck on a 38S&W, then you're looking toward one of those "suicide specials" top break revolvers. Maybe a old H&R, older S&W model 3 top break might be in order. If it's for CCW, then move up to something such as the previous mentioned. Chris (P95) is entirly correct with the round being very weak. I'd look for a High Standard 22Mag derringer if anything. They can be found, and they're Double Action to boot. :image035:

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
The .38 Special and .38 S&W cartridges are not interchangeable.

The .38 Special is slightly smaller in diameter than the .38 S&W (AKA the .38/200).

·
Registered
940 Posts
If you're stuck on a 38S&W, then you're looking toward one of those "suicide specials" top break revolvers.
Or a later .38 Webley, the only reason we stock 38S&W at the store - because the staff all shoot theirs regularly. :)

To the best of my knowledge, there are no current production 38S&W anything out there at this time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts