Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Various
15,488 Posts
I read a book over fifty years ago that said the flag raising was reenacted for pictures. There could have been different people in the pictures.

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
Yes read the story. Saw I think it was his daughter being interviewed on TV.
He never mentioned his participation to his family.
She said he was a very humble man and probably did not want to take the credit away from the other Marine and his family.
This is why men like him are considered "The Greatest Generation".
It was not all about themselves, but about their country and their brothers.
Though I still believe we have men like this in today's military.

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
I read a book over fifty years ago that said the flag raising was reenacted for pictures. There could have been different people in the pictures.
There were definitely different people in the two different photos. I know that because during my time as a combat photographer we were all ware of the history of the photography about the Corps. The second photo was taken after the first to use a larger flag was sent up from the beachhead.

Identifying some of those who raised the flag was done by facial recognition when possible, and when faces were not visible by the reports of people who were there. The face of theperson misidentified cannot be seen at all in the photo. Four of the seven who raised the flag were killed over the next few days after the flag was raised.

Regardless of the errors the photo is one of the most published photographs in history. It is emblazoned in ever Marines mind.

Reactions: LimaCharlie

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Yup, the men who actually raised the first flag were the true flag raisers upon taking mountain. This second and most famous scene was a reenactment of the flag raising with a much larger flag so it could be seen from the beaches/ships.

·
Registered
255 Posts
There is a photo of the first flag raised at Iwo. That photo was not of the actual raising, but right afterwards. A couple-three Marines holding the flagpole while others secured it, and other Marines facing outwards rifles at the ready. Maybe not as dramatic as the more famous photo, but pretty intense.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Yup, the men who actually raised the first flag were the true flag raisers upon taking mountain. This second and most famous scene was a reenactment of the flag raising with a much larger flag so it could be seen from the beaches/ships.

Not so much a reenactment as a second flag raising. I point this out because a lot of people thought Rosenthal's picture was staged. No one on the island saw the photo, of course, and few remembered who was who during the flag raising. The picture was celebrated at home, but Rosenthal never saw it until weeks later. Somebody asked him if the photo - which he had yet to see - was staged. The man could barely remember the event, and thought the questioner was talking about the posed photo (mentioned above). Rosenthal said yes, which led to some controversy. A USMC photog, Bill Genaust, took video of the event and this removed all doubt. A total of three Marines were misidentified, including most recently Mr. Harold Keller of Iowa.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Not so much a reenactment as a second flag raising. I point this out because a lot of people thought Rosenthal's picture was staged. No one on the island saw the photo, of course, and few remembered who was who during the flag raising. The picture was celebrated at home, but Rosenthal never saw it until weeks later. Somebody asked him if the photo - which he had yet to see - was staged. The man could barely remember the event, and thought the questioner was talking about the posed photo (mentioned above). Rosenthal said yes, which led to some controversy. A USMC photog, Bill Genaust, took video of the event and this removed all doubt. A total of three Marines were misidentified, including most recently Mr. Harold Keller of Iowa.
There were more photographers there than just Rosenthal, using both still and movie cameras. Rosenthal got the Pulitzer as his photo got sent out and published first. Trivia: His photo is THE most reproduced photo in history.

I had occasion to talk to another photographer who was there and took his own photos of the later flag raising (which he showed me), and that was the story he told me. You can see the video camera footage of the second raising in some war movies, one of which is John Wayne's Sands of Iwo Jima (I believe). As for trivia about that movie: The flag that was handed from one Marine to another in one scene is THE flag, which was loaned to them for filming.

Reactions: rotorhead1026

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
There was a movie about that. Yes, it seems, according to the movie, it was a different mix of men from the original flag raising, a few who did it the first time, and again for a staged picture as the first pic was ruined or something. Doesnt' change the meaning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts