Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is old news but I thought it worth posting. The Jessica Lynch story received so much attention that these squared away Marines didn't get the respect they deserve (IMHO). Gunny (now a 1Sgt) has an interesting comment on the video game generations performance under fire.

http://defendamerica.mil/profiles/aug2004/pr080604a.html

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
My father-in-law was a WWII marine aviator in the Pacific, he got the Navy Cross and the Silver Star for downing 18 enemy aircraft. Thank God the Warrior Spirit lives on in todays fighting men....

·
Registered
427 Posts
From the article it sounds like a pretty rough time...most in this country won't have to experience that, thanks to those men & women. Hopefully the ranks will continue to fill with those like them...

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Will we ever hear the REAL Jessica Lynch story? Have we already heard it? It's really too bad that the above story didn't / hasen't gotten more press. This soldier is the real hero. ---------

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
One hell of a rough ride indeed.
Lehew believes the Marine Corps' greatness comes from Marines pitted in days like this one and the camaraderie that comes from fighting side-by-side.
''Brothers in Arms'' does I think sum that up very well.

·
Super Moderator
25,574 Posts
There was also an Army SFC (?) that got the MoH, and a lot less publicity than Jessica.

·
Registered
574 Posts
ExSoldier762 said:
My father-in-law was a WWII marine aviator in the Pacific, he got the Navy Cross and the Silver Star for downing 18 enemy aircraft. Thank God the Warrior Spirit lives on in todays fighting men....
The lists I've seen list 2 Marines with 18.5 kills. So, either your FIL was Marion Carl, or Wilbur Thomas.

Which one is it? Enquiring minds want to know. :wink:

(Just FYI, I'm also an amateur military aviation historian. It's only a hobby, only a hobby....NO! It's my freaking life!!) :crazy:

·
Registered
574 Posts
rstickle said:
There was also an Army SFC (?) that got the MoH, and a lot less publicity than Jessica.
Yeah, well, these guys were...GUYS. That's why SHE got so much attention. Frankly, from the stuff I heard about it after it was long over, the other woman (the black large one) should have gotten a medal. I don't know which one, I'm no expert on that. But I guess if you don't have blond hair, blue eyes, and don't look like a fashion model, you're out of the running.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts