Defensive Carry banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old motorcycle in my garage that I am original owner of. I don't ride the bike much anymore but start it up every now and then, keep it covered, and occasionally do take it out for a short ride in the rural area where we live. One of my sons has been asking me to sell it to him instead of selling it on the open market to a stranger. We worked out a father/son deal of a down payment and 4 subsequent monthly payments and he's offered his 1970's era Marlin 336 ( scoped ) as the down payment. I've shot that rifle at the range with him and it's a dead on tack driver of a 30-30. And I don't have a 30-30...but he has two of those Marlins. So it looks like this one is going to be residing in my safe now. :)
I'll post some photos when I have it in house...might be a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I bought a 336 new in 1968. Excellent & well made levergun. Gave it to one of my sons 20 years ago, and he keeps it in like new condition.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Sweet!
I've had three 336's over the years. All have been good rifles, but the 336Y (Remlin) that I have now does not live up to the first two. The fit and finish isn't as good as either of the earlier Marlins.
My Nephew has my first 336 which was made in 1969 and it is the best of the three.

I like passing things down through the generations. Congrats on passing on your bike to your son. Oh, and on the Marlin.

·
Super Moderator
20,167 Posts
Sounds like a pretty nice family deal! I picked up a barely-used 336 a few years ago, slicked up the action and added a 1.5-4x scope so these sexagenarian eyes can get on target. This gun is an absolute hoot to shoot - easy recoil, and I've managed better than 2" groups at 100 yards with the scope. I've duplicated factory ammo with some early reloads which I'm working to refine. Good on you!

·
Super Moderator
50,612 Posts
You will have a great rifle and a fine father/son deal that will please both.

I've had several Marlin 30-30's down through the years, and I have regretted selling each one of them. My last purchase was a 2006 Marlin 336SS 30-30 (stainless). My great grandkids will have this one handed down to them. Marlin sold out to Remington around 2008...I believe mine was made well within the 'quality' years. I have a chart (somewhere) pointing out the markings that indicate the year made. With a scoped Marlin 30-30, I've thinned out the deer population in the Michigan woods down through the decades...it's the perfect backwoods tool.IMHO

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Sounds like your son is a smart business man. Trade the old man a rifle for a motorcycle and when the old man kicks the bucket he will get the rifle back. LOL. Sounds like a good situation for both.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Lever guns are the original "assault rifles" and one is still very well armed with one today. Congrats!

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
The older Marlin lever actions were real gems! (The newer ones not so much:frown:.) Sounds like a good family deal for both of you with the bonus that both stay in the family!

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
I lover Marlin lever guns. I only have my 336ss. I wish I would of picked up a 45-70 and a Golden 39A before Remington took over. I like other Remington products but the lever guns since they took over I don't think are up to par.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Just got home with the rifle late this evening. Turns out it's a 30AS and a really clean rifle in exc cond with a pretty good scope. The scope is a Firefield IR 3x9 red/green illumiated and seems ok. ( I know they're inexpensive scopes but the clarity is good and it's sighted and dialed in.) SN dates it to 1990 prod year. Also has sling mounts. My son has a 2nd Marlin which is a 336 and not in as nice condition as this AS30, and has regular uncheckered stocks. The other one is the older rifle. (1980) But I've shot this one and it's extremely accurate. So given the choice I chose this one. This is my first 30-30. Sure feels solid...and slightly heavy. But I'm at the age where most rifles feel heavy...lol. Pictures!

Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Air gun
Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Air gun
Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Gun accessory
Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Air gun

1 - 11 of 11 Posts