Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hadn’t shot it for over a year. The wife used it last year.

I did 3 shots from sitting with my handloads at 55 yards, which is the farthest I can shoot in my yard, and see the target due to the slope.

I circled the group with a pen, and finished off the session by doing strong arm draw and fire for 4 shots followed 3 weak hand shots from 4 yards with my carry ammo from the LW Colt Commander.

Mods; I posted this here because it was a mixed bag of hunting rifle/ defensive handgun, but move it if it’s more appropriate somewhere else.

55 yard 3 shot group
AE11A84B-CB0F-4744-8454-5D594A2D39DA.jpeg
78C6511F-CC6D-43A6-82B7-0C6CEB3FA8EF.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Fun time! I’m envious....haven't been out for awhile....

Reactions: airslot and G-man*

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Nice! Minute of venison!:biggrin2:

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
Dang!

Now I've got a bad urge to take the 336 out back & run a few rounds through it! Haven't shot it in quite a while. Just might have to do that in the morning! :yup:

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
Nice!

I've been shopping online all day for levers. I have a Rossi 92, but I really want a 45-70.
Man, every time I go in the store and see that Henry .45-70 on the rack, I drool a little. Talk about wanting a gun that I have no use for! We don't have any buffalo, grizzlies, or rhino around here, and I don't particularly need to be adding another caliber to the stable - especially a big, expensive one!

But, whaddaheck - having "no use for" another gun has never stopped me before! :hand5:

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Man, every time I go in the store and see that Henry .45-70 on the rack, I drool a little. Talk about wanting a gun that I have no use for! We don't have any buffalo, grizzlies, or rhino around here, and I don't particularly need to be adding another caliber to the stable - especially a big, expensive one!

But, whaddaheck - having "no use for" another gun has never stopped me before! :hand5:
Yup...it’s really not about THAT......

·
Registered
1,781 Posts

I have no use for a 45-70 either, but that hasn't stopped me yet.

The biggest problem with me getting a 45-70 lever gun is it becomes inevitable that I will have to get a 45-70 BFR to go with it.

maxresdefault.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
I have no use for a 45-70 either, but that hasn't stopped me yet.

The biggest problem with me getting a 45-70 lever gun is it becomes inevitable that I will have to get a 45-70 BFR to go with it.

View attachment 304016
:lolp::lolp::lolp:

I was just talking to a friend at work about the BFR .45-70 yesterday!

While I AM something of a recoil junkie, and love my .44 Mags, I think I could resist the urge to get the BFR! There IS such thing as too much of a good thing, and I'm afraid these ol' 60-something-year-old wrists might not be up to the task! :embarassed:

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
especially a big, expensive one!

:hand5:
I can reload a 50 round box with premium bullets cheaper than you can buy a box of cheap 9mm ammo.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
We don't have any buffalo, grizzlies, or rhino around here ...
How do you know? Those swamps are dense. :)

I remember when alligators went on the endangered species list. The people who did that were never anywhere near Louisiana. There was no shortage ...

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I can reload a 50 round box with premium bullets cheaper than you can buy a box of cheap 9mm ammo.
Yep...even the 45-70 he was referring to can be reloaded CHEAP...as compared to almost any commercial ammo.

Reactions: airslot and G-man*

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
Yep...even the 45-70 he was referring to can be reloaded CHEAP...as compared to almost any commercial ammo.
I would be VERY interested in a cost breakdown of your .45-70 reloads that are cheaper than "cheap 9mm ammo"! You must have some incredibly cheap sources for reloading components.

The cheapest .45-70 load I could come up with was about $.40/round. That's buying powder in bulk, not using a "premium" bullet, and not even including the cost of brass! I can buy cheap, brass-cased factory 9mm for $.15/round.

What am I missing?

·
Super Moderator
21,933 Posts
I hadn’t shot it for over a year. The wife used it last year.

I did 3 shots from sitting with my handloads at 55 yards, which is the farthest I can shoot in my yard, and see the target due to the slope.

I circled the group with a pen, and finished off the session by doing strong arm draw and fire for 4 shots followed 3 weak hand shots from 4 yards with my carry ammo from the LW Colt Commander.

Mods; I posted this here because it was a mixed bag of hunting rifle/ defensive handgun, but move it if it’s more appropriate somewhere else.

55 yard 3 shot group
View attachment 304000
View attachment 304002
That should do quite nicely! :hand10:

Reactions: G-man*

·
Registered
907 Posts
I would be VERY interested in a cost breakdown of your .45-70 reloads that are cheaper than "cheap 9mm ammo"! You must have some incredibly cheap sources for reloading components.

The cheapest .45-70 load I could come up with was about $.40/round. That's buying powder in bulk, not using a "premium" bullet, and not even including the cost of brass! I can buy cheap, brass-cased factory 9mm for $.15/round.

What am I missing?
I shoot .45-70 frequently and have been reloading them for the past 35 years or so. 350-grain RNFP cast of salvaged wheel weights, large rifle primer, 28 grains IMR 4198. I figure my cost to reload at about $0.15 per round, $7.50 per box of 50 rounds. That compares pretty favorably with factory 9mm pistol ammo.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts