Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My missus has a NC CHP, but obviously cannot carry when she works in MD.

I was hoping you Maryland DCers could clue me in on what she CAN use for SD. Should I get her some CS spray? I am assuming the state pantywaists won't allow her to carry a Taser like we can in NC.

Advice appreciated!

MM

·
Banned
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
30 Posts
A couple of years ago while I was working my wife needed something to help her but whe will not carry.
I bought her a can of BEAR SPRAY. It is legal everypolace as far as I know. I carried and used it in a very busy campground. It is the full strength stuff.
Peaceful

·
Registered
72 Posts
My missus has a NC CHP, but obviously cannot carry when she works in MD.

I was hoping you Maryland DCers could clue me in on what she CAN use for SD. Should I get her some CS spray? I am assuming the state pantywaists won't allow her to carry a Taser like we can in NC.

Advice appreciated!

MM
I don't live there, but my wife's relatives do. Basically you use your car. You get in it and then drive to a state that will let you actually defend yourself. :image035:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Basically you use your car. You get in it and then drive to a state that will let you actually defend yourself. :image035:
Now that right there is funny :rofl: :rofl: ...sad, but funny...

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I used to live in MD and as far as I can tell pepper spray is legal as are tasers. I think Baltimore prohibits them though. Don't quote me on that... IANAL

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tasers fall under the 'dangerous weapon' catch-all. I believe (but I'm not sure) that it is illegal to sell them in MD. Dangerous weapons explictly includes a laundry list (metal knuckles, nunchucks, throwing stars, swords, dirks).

Pepper spray is sold (Wal-mart, Pro Bass, gun shops) so it isn't completely illegal, but the DA will make a judgment call. Folding pocket knives with a quick-release button on the handle are explictly not 'dangerous weapons'. Things like canes, walking sticks, batons and bats might be considered dangerous weapons after the fact.

Possession of unloaded long guns (rifle, shotgun) is legal, except at 'gatherings.' The law is under the hunting section rather than the criminal law section so people tend to miss it. The keltec folding rifles, with a loaded magazine not in the gun, seems to be a legal option. But Maryland has a history of playing fast and loose with the space between statue and case law.

·
Banned
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the insightful (and not so insightful) replies. :twak:

The option of her leaving MD is - well - not an option for these visits. Sad but true. I used to live there (pre-cc for me) and I turned down a good job there recently because of the silly Criminal Empowerment regulations they have on the books.

Wake up, MD voters!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts