Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even the so-called experts cannot agree, are you safer with a mask or not.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
People should use common sense and avoid hysteria.
Do masks help? Maybe. Do they hurt? Probably not.
In areas with a lot of infection probably a good thing to wear when around a lot of people.
I wear one in stores. I do not wear one while taking walks outside.
Should they be mandated, not sure I do not like mandates.
I saw that Biden said if he was president now he would sign an executive order making masks mandatory.

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
I know there’s a lot of passion over the subject, probably too much so. I favor a mask cause it’s my business. If it just happens to negate the butterfly effect, then I’ll have gotten lucky and will never know. Folks that don’t wear masks or wanna go to the gym, I don’t care. That’s fine. Live and let live. Keep a respectable distance and don’t be stupid and the world turns on its axis and another sun sets. It ain’t hard.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Even the so-called experts cannot agree, are you safer with a mask or not.

Like KC, I have been wearing one indoors in public places. Does it help? I don't know. Our governor said earlier this week that the cases were rising in Virginia until they instituted the statewide mask order. Then their numbers started declining. Anyone can manipulate numbers, so I don't know how accurate that is. But of course, we get to experience that order starting today.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
I do not listen to Dr. Yoda (Fauchi) anymore.
In the beginning he said masks are not needed. then recently he said he lied to the public so that there would not be a run on masks by the public to save them for medical personnel. You lie to me on purpose, you lose my confidence in anything you say.
If you came flat out and told people to please save makes for hospitals until we could produce more. It would have went better.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
It is common for people in China to wear masks when there is anything going around and the Covid19 spread just as fast there as anywhere else. Less than half the people in our area seem to be wearing them and we are having very few new cases. For years most health experts have said masks do not help and there is no reason to wear them and especially health people. Now in the last month or so some of them are reversing their logic and saying they do help. What made them change their mind? Was it new evidence or was it a way they found to control people?

We have been told for a couple of months now that social distancing and no large crowds were the answer to helping the spread but those same experts claim that the protesters in large crowds had a small percentage of cases. One of those is a lie. Those same experts are saying that masks help and so many believe them.

I have seen people wearing masks have conversations very close together which does no help according to what the experts say. I have also watched kids for 2 or 3 minutes and see them adjust their masks 7 or 8 times touching their face with unwashed hands the whole time. I have also watched people reach into their pockets with unwashed hands and put their mask on and then touch a door handle with unwashed hands. They did more to spread the virus by touching the door handle than if they would not wear the mask but they feel better about what they are doing and that is all that matters.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
People should use common sense and avoid hysteria.
Do masks help? Maybe. Do they hurt? Probably not.
In areas with a lot of infection probably a good thing to wear when around a lot of people.
I wear one in stores. I do not wear one while taking walks outside.
Should they be mandated, not sure I do not like mandates.
I saw that Biden said if he was president now he would sign an executive order making masks mandatory.
Only problem with that is Biden probably thinks the wearing of a mask lets him participate in a game of cowboys and Indians.

Mrs OldChap IS an expert on masks and infection and she says trying to keep an airborne virus either in or out is like keeping flies out of the house with chicken wire. Masks CAN stop droplets, but in some cases wearing a mask is more lethal to the wearer than the virus.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I'm avoiding any place where a mask is required.
If I'm forced to wear one my compliance may not look like what they have in mind.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
While masks in the proper setting and with trained users can make a great deal of difference, in the general untrained public masks mostly serve to remind us to be afraid so that the government can continue to control us.

·
Registered
7,882 Posts
An article recently published in the New England Journal of Medicine said that widespread mask use has more to do with reducing anxiety than reducing the spread, although this has fact has been known by many of us, it just hasnt been said by the "experts".

ETA: The reason for this isnt because masks don't work, its because they arent necessary because the people everyone is so worried about aren't the ones that are going to get them sick.

Reactions: Bruiser419

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
My wife is immunocompromised. Out of necessity, I've had to become an "expert" on masks. I have to do all of the shopping and errands. I absolutely cannot afford to catch anything for fear of giving it to her.

Standard Masks/face coverings give limited protection to others, but no protection for you. Communal (limited) protection only occurs if everybody wears one. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing. Combine everyone wearing a mask and 6-foot social distancing...better protection.

Commercial N95 Respirators protect you and provide no protection to others. Their one-way exhalation ports are not filtered.

Surgical N95 Respirators protect you and others. Their one-way exhalation ports are filtered and are only used once then discarded.

Since we are absolutely Covid-19 negative, we use reusable Commercial N95 Respirators and have a stockpile of replacement filters. If you choose not wear a mask when out in public, it's your right and your life. When people come around me unmasked, it's my wife's life on the line and I act/react accordingly.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
My primary issue with clueless people wearing masks is that they seeming make ZERO effort toward reducing cross contamination of themselves as well as other materials and surfaces. It is simply cringe worthy.

Honestly, I see people behaving in a manner that I feel is putting themselves and possible [others] at more risk rather than less.

I am not against the idea of people wearing masks or gloves and I certainly agree that doing so can decrease risk in many circumstances. The key is common sense and user precautions.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Reduced oxygen saturation, carbon dioxide poisoning, rebreathing infected air, chronic respiratory illness, chronic skin rash, and more issues with excessive mask-wearing. Seems to me the risks outweigh the benefits except in certain specific circumstances.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I’m indifferent on wearing one or not, but very few people in my area wear one. The frustration comes with the inconsistency from place to place. I went to a different town yesterday that apparently requires masks but I didn’t know and forgot to bring one since it was a last minute trip. Just had to deal with the nasty stares since I was an hour from home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
Are masks a panacea? No. We all know they are not. Might they help? Possibly.

But you could make a similar argument for a lot of safety measures. The following are controversial because there are conflicting studies and real world results that they actually make people safer: Bicycle helmets, anti-lock brakes, home fire extinguishers, sunscreen and even...defensive guns. Some analysis of some of those items claim they can actually make a person less safe from what they purport to protect people from.

The big three factors in whether these things make someone safer is: 1) Does the person choose the right safety products? 2) Does the person use them properly? AND 3) Does the person avoid letting the safety equipment encourage them to do less-than-safe behaviors because they think they are "protected?"

So my decision for masks, is to get the best kind of mask I can and wear it properly, but still practice the same safe behaviors I would if I did not have one. That is my decision for all of that list of safety precautions.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
I have some rather strong opinions about masks. I find it amazing what government mandates...that I wear a mask in a grocery store, but allows this...

Something tells me government mandated masks are more an exercise in people control than it is a medical issue.

Am I wrong?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts