Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
I really like Mass. Another great video. I'm currently reading his The Gun Digest of Concealed Carry. I don't agree with him 100% on everything, but I'm close to 95%-97%.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Important points.

Years ago, I read the In The Gravest Extreme and Stressfire books, and I've also personally had a couple carjacking attempts against me fail because of a couple of these steps.

It's been decades since I first began to do many of the steps suggested: to come at my car from a distance/angle; keep my head on a swivel; evaluate the car next to mine; scan the interior of my car for anyone there; keep eyes open for threats coming up behind/around me; get in quickly; lock doors immediately after entry; start/move car as soon as able to do so. Haven't been surprised or overpowered since starting these things, years ago. (Not that it couldn't happen tomorrow, even so.)

Some of the training I've done has pushed awareness of such procedures as well. Including Mas in his LFI courses. (Thanks, Mas.)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Great video. It just goes to show that you can't be "too aware" of your surroundings.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
It's important to note that getting in and out of your vehicle; and going to and from your vehicle are two of the most mundane things we do in our lives. How many thousands of times a year do you do that?

It's not hard to guess that a lot of ambush type attacks takes place in and around a person's vehicle. I'm also guessing that's because criminals and predators have taken notice that people seem to be most vulnerable at that point. They all observe their targets during the selection process to see if they are an easy target, and after hundreds of observations, noting that people tend to not be paying attention during that time, they capitalize on that point of vulnerability.

So, while a person likely can not be on alert 100% of the time, everywhere you go... you should at least make the effort be alert when going to and from your vehicle, each and every time.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
As usual, Massad is spot on with his advice. The key to all of this is to make it a habit so that even when you are not actively thinking about your awareness it will be set up to work for, not against you.

A point not made in the video but even more common than the ambush, is a car simply pulling out into your path because the driver did not see you. It is always a good idea to scan the interiors of all the cars you are approaching to be aware of possible problems.

I like the idea of dropping one's keys to appear casual.

BTW, while you are down there checking under the cars, look for cans, bottles, nails, packages, anything that may be about to get run over by your tires.

Reactions: perfection

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Great post. Always liked watching Mass on tv and reading his articles. Very good points in personal defense.

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
Excellent video and commentary by the Master! Thanks for posting this.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Very good vid. Thanks for sharing. I'll bet we all learned something from it.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
As usual Mas is right on target.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Terrific video. I always try to do the things he describes in the video but I have to admit to not always being vigilant. Tells me I need to work more on my SA.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Not a cop or trained professional or anything, but I've been checking the back of all vehicles before I get in ever since I saw the movie "Let Me In" :gah:

Great video, anyway

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
Another great learning post...:hand2:

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Registered
196 Posts
I always thought I was paranoid for doing this...now I know I'm not.

It's comforting to know I've just been acting safe all this time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts