Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There I was, reading a thread, when a certain other site was mentioned, in regards to maturity levels. It got me thinking.
I decided a big thumbs up was in order, for everyone here at Combatcarry.com.
Even when we disagree, we're polite. No name calling, no veiled slights.
The maturity level on this site is the highest I've found on a gun forum. I prefer visiting here to any other site. (including my state concealed carry site and a much larger forum where folks make a big deal out of "politeness" to each other.)
So, thanks, everyone!
It's great to be here. :022:

·
Administrator
143,574 Posts
Fjolnirsson

"The maturity level on this site is the highest I've found on a gun forum."
I noticed that very same thing! :diablo: :bike: :party: :ubbloco:

Seriously...Let me add that I totally agree. This is near~bout the greatest "Gun Related Place" on the web.

Ya know...you watch your daily Local & National News & such an awful picture constantly gets painted about the United States.
This place always reminds me of what a great country we live in and how totally fantastic SO MANY people are here.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I also agree with you both. This is the ONLY forum of any kind that I belong to and the ONLY reason I remain here is exactly that which you mention. The maturity level and the re-birth of common sense. You may remember a post I made titiled "An Obituary" dealing with the death of common sense. This site shows that it is still alive and healthy.
I think that all the Kudos go to Bumper for maintaining the site and giving us a place to voice reasonable questions and concerns without being belittled for our varying opinions.
I had my reservations about becoming a moderator here because I had never belonged to any forum before and the ones I had read are so full of BS that I got disgusted and stopped looking at them.

Thanks again to Bumper for this wonderful oasis in the sea of turmoil that is the "internet".

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
+1 to everything said above :hand56:

·
Registered
868 Posts
I agree with everyone, it is a fine talented goup of shooters who like what they do and understand there are other points of view. Our leader Bumper is a good guy and fends off things that should not be said or brought up. Leadership is here because many are previous service folks, many are getting on in life and feel the hardship, many are young guys articulate in expressing their views, so we do get along.

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
Thanks, guys. I am very happy with the way the forum has turned out. I don't really believe it can be attributed to me or any one person. I know that I want communication here to be civil and try to enforce that as low key as possible, but much of the credit goes to our members and moderators. We are all responsible adults and for the most part act like it. As I have said before, this forum belongs to the members. I just get to pay the bills. :biggrin:

I do appreciate your comments and enjoy knowing that you all find the information useful and a comfortable place to hang out.

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
Yep! I have noticed it too - y'all are a really fine bunch of folks. I am sooo tired of the childish crap that I've encounterd on other forums.
This site and LouderThanWords.US seem to have drawn some really great people. Thanks to all for your participation.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Yikes, a lot of the time I come for the humor.

Like, who has Betty frightened, or on what part of an automatic pistol (and what part of his body) has Euc injured himself, and has Bumper put his lips on something most of us would find vile.

If not for that, this place would be a 'gun forum.'

*Sicilian yawns, doses, and spills maranara sauce onto his crappy T-shirt*

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Another +1 .. I have little tolerance these days for the crap that so many spew - flame wars - general lack of courtesy etc. So it is refreshing to be amongst good folks here .... I would mention that another place very similar is the Rohrbaugh Forum ... only small but a great bunch of guys. I daresay there - because the gun is so darned pricey - it is mostly older to real old .... few real youngsters!!. Link is in my sig line.

The High Road is pretty good too - considering its huge member base .... I find moderation there is generally not too irksome but of course - we still get the punks and garbage from time to time.

Long may it last Bumper - you started something very good. :smile:

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
yep, this site is the most civil I ever have been on. Even non gun related sites , lots of folks like to insult and argue for the heck of it. I think our goals, thoughts and outlook is very similar on this forum. Glad to be a part of it and get to trade thoughts with all the great people here.

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
The idea started forming about starting the forum after my experiences that alot of you have mentioned here. I wanted a place that would be good place to hang out but be a real resource to people. And I don't normally like to hang out in places where everyone jumps on you for having an opinion different than theirs. For months we had only nine members. It was a kooky place that Tourist would have probably loved. :tongue: Then we were "found" and evolved almost overnight to something entirely different. I have to credit Betty getting me to focus on what I really wanted this place to be. I even asked Betty to moderate the forum we had specifically for women take it wherever she wanted to take it. LOL, she turned me down and recommended I kill it so as not to make women think they were expected to "stay in their place". Her advice was good and I killed that subforum.

We continue to grow steadily (not fast) and I think that is a good thing. It reduces the chaos of large surges of people trying to learn what we are all at once. I am encouraged by all of the valuable experiences, opinions and ideas that our members have contributed. I am grateful that so many have helped keep the tone of the forum steady and sane. And the moderators have really helped me keep a watchful eye on everything, welcoming new members and contributing so much of their efforts and energy. Heck I actually get to spend some time with my wife, again. :wink:

Thanks for the kind words and support.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Bumper,

I feel I have to defer to the wisdom of Groucho Marx in picking any group in which to gather.

"I detest any organization that would have me as a member."

On the brighter side, any thing (usually something shiny) that keeps the interest of a person who is bi-polar, for more than a few minutes, must have something going for it.

Still, I feel that anything that is fun to do is usually dangerous. For example, I am attracted to Automags, Chyna, S&S Harleys and the Asian beef dishes that Betty's mom makes. There must be a common thread there, but scavenger hunts aren't 'something shiny.'

Greater men than I have proffered ideas in this regard and I will not seek to counter their wisdom. It is artfully summed up in the teachings of Mel Gibson who once said, "It's the blue wire, it's gotta be the blue wire."

I think we can all agree on that.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just to add my agreement and my appreciation; I've come to enjoy this forum, with its genuine emphasis on content and material as opposed to "personality" and arrogance.

Thanks to everyone for contributing to this place!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yep. It's a good place...

I don't think I've seen a real flame yet. There have been some healthy differences of opinion, but that is a good thing. I feel that this forum, more than any other I've visited/joined, is a pretty good example of the phrase: "An armed society is a polite society." You guys and gals are okay in my book.

It would be kind of nice to have a "Combat Carry" pin or logo so we could recognize each other at guns shows, ranges, etc. There may not be enough of us to justify it yet, but maybe some day...

Anyway, I'm just glad to be here. :smile:

SSKC

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I too love this place, just sucks that work has me sooo busy. On a side note, hows about more scenarios???

~A

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
SSKC said:
I don't think I've seen a real flame yet. There have been some healthy differences of opinion, but that is a good thing. I feel that this forum, more than any other I've visited/joined, is a pretty good example of the phrase: "An armed society is a polite society." You guys and gals are okay in my book.

It would be kind of nice to have a "Combat Carry" pin or logo so we could recognize each other at guns shows, ranges, etc. There may not be enough of us to justify it yet, but maybe some day...

Anyway, I'm just glad to be here. :smile:

SSKC
You know I have considered from time to time doing some tshirts or hats or something and held off for one reason. Do you REALLY want to wear an item that identifies you as possibly/maybe carrying? Would it be sorta like a "shoot me first" shirt? :tongue:

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
APachon said:
I too love this place, just sucks that work has me sooo busy. On a side note, hows about more scenarios???
Scenarios are good. They seem to come in spurts for some reason, probably because a good one takes a while to put together. But I think it is definitely worth it and is a good way to get you thinking. :yup:

·
Banned
693 Posts
I understand the priniciple.

Most of my crappy black T-shirts have some kind of a tie to the Harley-Davidson Motor Company. It sends a signal.

"My wallet is empty."

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.