Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a VMII for a Commander. I can see from pictures that the MaxCon appears to be thinner (lack of reinforced mouth) and the area around the snaps less "bulky". This appeals to me. Can anyone attest to the comfort of the MCV compared to the VMII? Assuming one-hand reholstering is not really an issue with me, would it be worth buying a MCV to replace the VMII? Any you guys happen to have tried both. TIA

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I haven't tried a VM-II (no need to) but I hear good things about them, mostly from IMO people repeating what they read on forums wheather they have one or not. But nevertheless they are a good holster, a bit on the pricy side though. A few friends have them and seem to like them just fine.

I do however have a Max-Con V and another on order as we speak. To me it is the perfect holster for the reasons you mentioned. They are thinner, less bulky and fit the body perfectly. The cant is also what I like about the Max-Con V, it put's the gun in the best possible postition for concealment.

Also the lack of reinforcement at the mouth (the metal) does not affect one handed reholstering for me at all.

Hope this helps!

Ti.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
From what I can tell, the MaxCon V is actually closer to the Watch Six offered by Milt Sparks as both of those models lack the reinforcing band at the mouth. I had the Watch Six for my old SA Champion, it was plenty comfortable but I sold that gun several years ago so I recently sold that holster to a Forum member here.

I currently have a MaxConV on order with Gary for my 5" Mil-Spec, it'll soon be my primary carry weapon and holster if all goes as planned. I guess the question is, do you feel the VMII's thickness is affecting your comfort level? The MCV should be slightly thinner and a bit more comfortable to wear for extended periods.

Then again ... you can never have too many custom holsters! :wink:
Jack

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have been carrying a 5" 1911 in a VMII for awhile and its been great. However, I have heard so much about the MaxCon V that i ordered one of those plus a mag carrier for a new Dan Wesson commander bobtail. Guess I have holsters covered

·
Banned
270 Posts
I had a MaxCon V for a G23 and have a VM-II for a 1911.

Both are top notch. The MaxCon6 has a reinforced mouth if you are interested.

They both are excellent. The VM-II is a bit more comfy when worn at 3 o'clock though.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I can only comment one thing, tho I don't have one.

From all folks say the Max Con is the cat's miaow - Gary has certainly got one heck of a following, even just here with that design.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Don't forget Gary's level of customer service. When I called to order my holster we talked it over for a while - I was torn between the MaxCon V and the DefCon (owb). He told me if I wasn't happy with the MaxConV I could send it back and he'd exchange it for a DefCon. That kind of service is pretty rare these days and I'd say it's another reason he has such a loyal following.
Jack

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I will let you know when I receive my max con, mag pouch and belt from Gary. Although the order is a little behind, I am real excited to get it, and give it a try. I will report to you asap. gary send it would finally ship out this week. The belt is the issue not the holster, so if you ordered one, you may not have to wait as long.

·
Super Moderator
22,007 Posts
I have heard nothing but good things about Gary's work, but I had not heard of him before purchasing a Spark's Watch-Six. It is the horse hide, w/o reinforcement at the mouth, version of the Versa Max-2. It is a superb CCW holster. I doubt you would go wrong with either makers wares.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just to comment. I bought "Oregonshooter"'s Max Con V from Gary Brommeland, and can attest to the professionalism and quality of this fine holster! I also have Milt Sparks. I prefer Milt Sparks for my OWB and of course the Max Con V for my IWB. Like the rest of the people here, You just gotta try em until one hits the mark! We all have drawers full of em! But few are in the Brommeland/ Sparks catagory.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Both are absolutely top of the line gun leather. Gary's attention to detail and design is hard to beat.

I wouldnt say the W6 and MC5 are the same......look the same and look to be built the same...but still many differences.

Shoot well.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all for advice. Just ordered a MaxCon V for my Commander. It was a pleasure to speak with Gary, a real gentleman.

·
Registered
195 Posts
As was stated before...if you buy quality, you won't be disappointed. Either of the holsters in question is a fine choice as are several others.

The people who generally have issues are those who try to save $50 and buy a $25 holster to wear12 hours a day.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have been wearing my VersaMaxII the last several days,and last week it was MacDanial II. I am looking forward to wearing Gary's and Eric's fine holsters soon. Hope to get one of Lou Allesi's before too long. All of the above mentioned holsters are great holsters, just look who they come from. For someone that wants one holster, anyone of the holsters here would be a keeper.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I use to carry IWB (for a very brief moment) a HK USPc45 in a VMII. I never got used to it. Too uncomfortable for me. I felt the VMII was a bit to thick.

And although I've never owned one, something tells me that Garry's MCV is much, much, more comfortable for IWB.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
los said:
I use to carry IWB (for a very brief moment) a HK USPc45 in a VMII. I never got used to it. Too uncomfortable for me. I felt the VMII was a bit to thick.

And although I've never owned one, something tells me that Garry's MCV is much, much, more comfortable for IWB.

True that!

Ti.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
los said:

IF the MaxCon is more comfortable than the VersaMax, I'm going to be a really happy camper.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I've been carrying a Colt Comander (steel frame) in a Max-Con V for four days now. I'm still using my flimsy old belt, which isn't adequate for CCW at all, but even considering that this holster is amazingly comfortable. Once it conforms to my hip a bit more I think it will be perfect.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts