Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor from across the street came up to us as wife and I were leaving our project house. Evidently a new neighbor has been checking out the truck in the driveway and the house, several mornings from about 10 to noon. I may have to start open carrying when I go there to check the mail box across the street and work on the house.

·
Banned
705 Posts
My neighbor from across the street came up to us as wife and I were leaving our project house. Evidently a new neighbor has been checking out the truck in the driveway and the house, several mornings from about 10 to noon. I may have to start open carrying when I go there to check the mail box across the street and work on the house.
What do you intend to accomplish?

I'd go with obvious security cameras.

·
Registered
161 Posts
...Or try to make a new friend.

Ask him what he's looking for.
He'll either tell you honestly, or he'll understand that you're onto him and be warned off.

Just don't be confrontational.
Instead, be conversational.
This^^^^^^

If it's another home owner from the neighborhood, you want to take the peace over righteousness approach. You always want to be on good terms with your neighbors, whether you like them or not.

·
Premium Member
33,760 Posts
Why not just get a CCW sash?

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
What will most likely deter the guy from bad action is your presence projecting strength, awareness and decisiveness. I wouldn't advise you to depend on a visible gun to accomplish that for you. It won't.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Go over to his house with a $10 bill. Tell him you found it under your truck and you thought it might be his.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Hey if you want to open carry then oc and more power to you!!! If your going to oc to "send" a message to a neighbor or intimidate a neighbor then I personally think your being a lousy representative for the gun community. If your oc so the guy doesn't get the "jump" on you isnt he going to take you out first since your advertising or some such argument??

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hey if you want to open carry then oc and more power to you!!! If your going to oc to "send" a message to a neighbor or intimidate a neighbor then I personally think your being a lousy representative for the gun community.
Agreed on both counts.

If your oc so the guy doesn't get the "jump" on you isnt he going to take you out first since your advertising or some such argument??
This the most oft-quote bit of unsubstantiated hype against OC I've seen during the last decade I've seen both sides debate OC. To date, there remains absolutely zero statistically significant evidence that you're any more likely to be a target just because your firearm is visible, and considerable evidence to the contrary.

Thought experiment:

A robber spies to people walking along the sidewalks at opposite sides of the block. One is OC, the other isn't showing. Given known annual averages, he knows there's only a 1 in 85 chance the guy who isn't showing is carrying a firearm (yes, those are indeed national averages).

The robber:

A) Takes his chances with the guy he knows with 100% certainty is carrying a firearm.

B) Takes his chances with the guy he knows with reasonably certain only has a 1.2% chance is carrying a firearm.

Remember the old adage: "There are many fish in the sea." While tangle with a shark on one side of the boat when there's a tuna on the other side of the boat?

Robbers don't go after carriers in an attempt to procure a firearm. They put on their burglary hats and break into vehicles and homes, instead.

Out of all the guns used in Chicago's murders, what percentage of them were taken away from someone who OC's?

Exactly.

·
Premium Member
33,760 Posts
Agreed on both counts.

This the most oft-quote bit of unsubstantiated hype against OC I've seen during the last decade I've seen both sides debate OC. To date, there remains absolutely zero statistically significant evidence that you're any more likely to be a target just because your firearm is visible, and considerable evidence to the contrary.

Thought experiment:

A robber spies to people walking along the sidewalks at opposite sides of the block. One is OC, the other isn't showing. Given known annual averages, he knows there's only a 1 in 85 chance the guy who isn't showing is carrying a firearm (yes, those are indeed national averages).

The robber:

A) Takes his chances with the guy he knows with 100% certainty is carrying a firearm.

B) Takes his chances with the guy he knows with reasonably certain only has a 1.2% chance is carrying a firearm.

Remember the old adage: "There are many fish in the sea." While tangle with a shark on one side of the boat when there's a tuna on the other side of the boat?

Robbers don't go after carriers in an attempt to procure a firearm. They put on their burglary hats and break into vehicles and homes, instead.

Out of all the guns used in Chicago's murders, what percentage of them were taken away from someone who OC's?

Exactly.
How many people legally OC in Illinois?

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
What are ya gonna do? Let him fear you because of the gun?

Here Is a perfect example of what is really wrong with OC.

It is not an action, it is a mentality.

·
Banned
705 Posts
In most jurisdictions displaying a weapon with the specific intent to intimidate is menacing. It's usually a felony

·
Registered
561 Posts
In most jurisdictions displaying a weapon with the specific intent to intimidate is menacing. It's usually a felony
In all jurisdictions, a properly holstered OC firearm is either listed by law or has been ruled by state or federal court as not meeting the definition of "alarm," "intimidation," or "menacing." Even so, OC remains in violation of legislation in 5 states and D.C.

Reference St. John v. Alamogordo

·
Registered
561 Posts
What are ya gonna do? Let him fear you because of the gun?

Here Is a perfect example of what is really wrong with OC.

It is not an action, it is a mentality.
Question: Do you observe those of us who favor OC in the CC section bashing CC?

No?

Then why are those of you who favor CC here in the OC section bashing OC?

BOTH modes of carry are lawful in MOST states, 45 for OC and 50 for CC (IIRC).

1 - 20 of 111 Posts