Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
No carry allowed in any place where alcohol is sold and consumed - bars and most restaurants. No carry in schools, government buildings, post offices, or banks. Must inform officer when stopped. Read the fine print of the law before carrying.

I've heard there are a lot of 'No Firearms Allowed' signs in the big cities, but here in northeastern NC, I could not show you even a single one.

·
Registered
368 Posts
There are some "off limits" businesses in the larger cities, but overall it's not really that bad.

You can carry concealed in 33 other states with a NC permit.

If stopped or approached by a law officer in NC, you are required to inform him that you have a concealed carry permit and a firearm in your possession.

The permit (which has no photo) and a photo ID (preferably driver's license) must be in your possession at all times when you're carrying a firearm.

·
Super Moderator
25,571 Posts
No carry anyplace you have to pay an admission fee. (Think I've got that one right.)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
There are some spots (banks) where you can OC but not CC. I've only seen one "no carry" sign and it was at a jewelry store. No carry at all in hospitals, places where alcohols is bought and consumed, school, government buildings, etc. NC is a must inform state, but honestly I think most LEOs are pretty cool about it here. There is no gun registry in NC but you do need a permit to purchase a handgun from your local Sheriff OR you can use your CCWP as a purchase permit. Yeah, I don't get that either, but there you go.

Well, early WELCOME if you do decide to move here! :) What area are you looking at?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds mostly like FL laws with big exception to must inform and banks not allowed.

What about state parks? It's OK here to carry in a state park- is NC ok with that?

It's not a choice to move- simply cannot find jobs here...at all.

I'd be staying with my Father in Edenton, NC and from there- not sure. Seems like he lives in an area I'd want CCW.

I may end up in Virgina.

Wherever I can find a full time job first.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The current process of the CC license is run by the local sheriff. Your application time varies widely from county to county, mostly depending on population. You have to take a state mandated 8 hour course which includes shooting although I don't know how they would handle a transfer. And as mentioned above, there are many places that you cannot carry which is a sham! But, we are trying to get some things changed which is being hampered by some liberal legislators.

Armydad

·
Registered
401 Posts
There is no gun registry in NC but you do need a permit to purchase a handgun from your local Sheriff OR you can use your CCWP as a purchase permit. Yeah, I don't get that either, but there you go.
It is a old Jim Crow law meant to give the sheriff an ability to keep blacks from owning a gun.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I thought NC also had public gathering language on their books?

I visited there last weekend (RDU) and I tell you what. I couldn't wait to get back to Georgia. Way too many dang on rules with respect to concealed carry for my liking.

I think the rules for FL are much easier to live with personally.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sounds mostly like FL laws with big exception to must inform and banks not allowed.

What about state parks? It's OK here to carry in a state park- is NC ok with that?

It's not a choice to move- simply cannot find jobs here...at all.

I'd be staying with my Father in Edenton, NC and from there- not sure. Seems like he lives in an area I'd want CCW.

I may end up in Virgina.

Wherever I can find a full time job first.
North Carolina is not awful, but it is one of the less gun friendly states in the south. There are a lot of places that are off limits to CC. On the whole, Virginia is much more gun friendly and has a much shorter list of prohibited places. NC permits are valid in a lot more states than VA permits though.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Your Flordia permit is recognized in NC as long as it is a resident permit. You can check out all of the laws on NC at this link. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

One of the important but unstated things to consider is that NC does not have a true "castle doctrine" law in effect so tread carefully even in your own home.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It is a old Jim Crow law meant to give the sheriff an ability to keep blacks from owning a gun.
Handgun permit laws are common in non-Southern states where Jim Crow laws never existed, and that have negligible Black populations.

·
Registered
125 Posts
No carry anyplace you have to pay an admission fee. (Think I've got that one right.)
I don't really understand this one--I can't carry into movie theaters!

There are some spots (banks) where you can OC but not CC. I've only seen one "no carry" sign and it was at a jewelry store. No carry at all in hospitals, places where alcohols is bought and consumed, school, government buildings, etc. NC is a must inform state, but honestly I think most LEOs are pretty cool about it here. There is no gun registry in NC but you do need a permit to purchase a handgun from your local Sheriff OR you can use your CCWP as a purchase permit. Yeah, I don't get that either, but there you go.

Well, early WELCOME if you do decide to move here! :) What area are you looking at?

Bunny, where is the one about hospitals? I've not seen that one anywhere, though the hospital I'm going to be working in a lot soon does have it posted for no carry.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
From what I have read about NC, you can carry ANYWHERE you want...as long as you are at home.:gah::tired:

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Many of NC CC laws were on the books long before CC was on the books. Many of the restrictions are simply stupid and need to be changed. If you become a resident please do your part as a responsible NC gun owner and join Grass Roots of NC, nobody is working harder to change our gun laws than this organization.
Take Care
NCH

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I don't really understand this one--I can't carry into movie theaters!

Bunny, where is the one about hospitals? I've not seen that one anywhere, though the hospital I'm going to be working in a lot soon does have it posted for no carry.
As to the admission, yup, no movie theaters, waterparks, tourist attractions, any place that charges for admission is off limits for concealed carry.

There isn't any law in NC against hospital carry but many do have a teaching aspect to them and therefore fall under the educational facility no carry law. Also many hospitals are posted. So, just about all hospitals are off limits.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Sorry, just logged on. Regarding hospitals, what NC Bullseye said.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Oh, also yes, no public gatherings like demonstrations, parades, etc. And no funerals, but weddings are ok.

That's NO FIREARMS, not just CC.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts