Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sitting in Denny's at 5:30 am eating breakfast. I wasn't in a bid neighborhood and no sketchy characters in sight. I'm carrying my HK P2000 loaded with the legal maximum 10 rounds. I wasn't feeling any "color", not red, not orange, not purple. But if someone strode into the restaurant and started shooting I might well be wishing that I had an extra mag. I think I'm going to start carrying one.

Yes, I'm effective running my carry gun at speed, but if I'm close to the door and ducking for cover I might be using 3-4 of those precious few rounds to suppress the BG. It will never happen to me of course, but given I'm committed to carrying the darn thing every waking hour, why not carry the extra mag? It also occurred to me that sitting in a booth with the gun to the inside might not be the best from an SD standpoint; I'm going to rethink my seating philosophy.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Never say never, because that's usually when Mr. Murphy decides he missed you and comes for an unannounced visit. If you're going to carry any gun, it's wise to carry along extra. You may not need more rounds, but the mag might decide now is the time to screw up and with a revolver an extra 5 or 6 rounds just makes sense to me. As for how you sit in a booth, I like having my gun facing inward. It's just less chance of the BG immediately seeing your gun and singling you out if he/she decides to go through with it. Of course this only matters if you're in a closed end booth or next to a wall.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I was sitting in Denny's at 5:30 am eating breakfast. I wasn't in a bid neighborhood and no sketchy characters in sight. I'm carrying loaded with the legal maximum 10 rounds. I wasn't feeling any "color", not red, not orange, not purple. But if someone strode into the restaurant and started shooting I might well be wishing that I had an extra mag. I think I'm going to start carrying one.

Yes, I'm effective running my carry gun at speed, but if I'm close to the door and ducking for cover I might be using 3-4 of those precious few rounds to suppress the BG. It will never happen to me of course, but given I'm committed to carrying the darn thing every waking hour, why not carry the extra mag? It also occurred to me that sitting in a booth with the gun to the inside might not be the best from an SD standpoint; I'm going to rethink my seating philosophy.

You won't get any argument out of me. I carry at least one extra mag at all times, however more often than not I carry two. The problem with suppressive fire in an area as you have described is that it is more likely to draw fire as well as strike innocents. I learned situational awareness using the white, yellow and red categories. When carrying I always prefer to stay in the yellow zone of awareness and play the "what if" game. In this day and age it's also a good idea to expect a second BG particularly if it is a takeover robbery. Just my thoughts, for what it is worth.

Reactions: mrtimm

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yes I've always carried reload (s) from day one, especially with the J frame. Now that I'm carrying a compact 9mm more often, I have a nice little matching leather (double stack) mag pouch attached to my belt, primarily in case of malfunction, but you never can tell. As far as the dining booth, I've always sat with the gun to the inside for additional concealment.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Since you're stuck in a state with mag capacity limits, a second mag sounds like a good idea. I carry two spares and think that it's just as easy to conceal two as one.

Reactions: sqlb3rn

·
Registered
642 Posts
When i got my shoulder rig there were two magazine pouches so i filled them up, i think it has something to do with the correct balance? :smile:

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
A second mag is just added insurance since the vast majority of failures are due to defective mags.
And no one needs give another reason after the above has been stated, it's reason enough. Erring on the side of caution is just plain smart.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
There's nothing wrong with your reasoning.

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. My main carry is a 10 shot.

Reactions: Remy

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I usually carry at least 1 extra mag or speedloader/strip.
As for seating. I try to sir facing the door and/or register. When with Wife we sit across from each other unless we're against a wall.
Wife carries too.
I prefer having my strong side on the inside. If need be, the gun can be out and staged yet unseen.
Strong side to isle there's increased possibility of printing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was sitting in Denny's at 5:30 am eating breakfast. I wasn't in a bid neighborhood and no sketchy characters in sight. I'm carrying my HK P2000 loaded with the legal maximum 10 rounds. I wasn't feeling any "color", not red, not orange, not purple. But if someone strode into the restaurant and started shooting I might well be wishing that I had an extra mag. I think I'm going to start carrying one.

NO NO NO, the real question is, what did you have for breakfast?

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I was carry 2 extra mags, either 13 or 16 rounders. Once getting shot at out in the country, and one extra mag, was not enough..... finding youself low on ammo, is a bad bad feeling. A small gun fight where the guy was never more then 15 ft or so away from 2 officers, and the two officers shot 68 rounds.... bad guy was only hit in the leg once. He surrendered because he ran out of ammo.

For all the situations that can occur, I am not going to have only 10 rds on me.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Thought it's good to have an extra magazine for several reasons, the two things you might want to rethink is eating at Denny's, and 'suppressive fire'.

I get the feeling that some think it's OK to throw down a 'hail 'o bullets' as they make a get-away going to their car. This seems like a bad idea.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts