Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure there is a thread on this site with the same subject, but I can't find it. So here we go....

I currently carry a Springfield XDm chambered in .40 IWB at or around the 4-5 o'clock position. It works, but I have a small framed body and its hard to hide sometimes. I know there are a lot of things I can do to attempt to fix my little problems I am having, but I can't stop looking at 'mouse guns'. In particular I am looking at the Kahr P-3AT. I have seen a lot of good/ok reviews. I also like the ease of carry (back pocket in a well designed holster). Its also getting cold, and a lot of the time I spend outside I wear my Carhartt Coat with those awesome hand pockets in the front just begging for a pistol to be put in them.

Either way, does anyone have any input on what they carry or own when it comes to something such as that? I am looking for a .380 but I am open to suggestion.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Those Carhartt coats have two pockets. One gun per pocket.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're a better man than me. The only P3AT I can find is made by Kel-Tec.

:danceban:
OMG LOL I cant believe I did that! Your completely right, the weapon is made by Kel-Tec. I guess I need to take better notes when doing my research.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I have 3 pocket pistols. The Kel-Tec P32, Seecamp 32 and the Kahr P380. The Kahr is the best shooting out of the three and I hope that Crimson Trace comes out with a LaserGuard for it soon. The Seecamp is the best built out of the three. The Kel-Tec is the lighest out of the three.

That being said, if I could find a Seecamp 380 available and at a reasonable price, that would be my only pocket gun.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
My wife and I both carry P3ATs and spare mag each. Never had any problem with ether of them other than finding ammo, but this problem seems to be easing up. Pistol is easy to brake down and clean, and I personally like the ruff checkered grips on the pistol. The little gun is NOT a joy to shoot, but I have other gun for that, however they go everywhere my wife and I go and they both go bang every time and shoots point of aim.

I do not feel under gunned with this little gun in my pocket. We both carry it in Uncle Mikes #2 pocket holster covers trigger, protects gun from pocket lint, and brakes up profile of gun in pocket, also keeps pistol upright in pocket, however you must add 1/2 in. of some type of filler to inside bottom of holster to make it work at its best.

As to 380 issue, if they found a way to put 45 acp in a pistol the size and weight of P3AT that was as dependable as my P3AT then I would carry it all the time.

I vote for the P3AT, and if things get really really bad and I feel the need to up gun I will and the P3AT will be my dependable little powerful back up.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a Ruger LCP that I like a good bit. I am sure you would be happy with the p3at as well. Personally, I Just liked the fit and finish of the Ruger over the Kel-tec.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
P3AT or LCP are both good pocket guns... The only other one you might consider is the S&W 442 or 642 J-frame revolver... great for pocket carry also and a bit more potent in .38+P.....

Better to have a small gun you'll carry all the time, than a big gun you won't...

·
Super Moderator
19,938 Posts
I second the idea of a J-frame in the pocket of that Carhartt coat.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Check out the new Taurus TCP as well. I don't like it and my old man thinks it looks better than my LCP.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Personally I aint carrying nothing smaller than a 9mm. I would look at the Kel-tec PF9 or PF11. Or maybe some of the slim 9s out now by Walther and Taurus.

·
Super Moderator
50,611 Posts
I have the KelTec P-3AT and it's a perfect pocket gun.:yup:

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
It won't take long before you start getting the "I won't carry anything less than .xx cal" responses, but don't worry, a mouse gun in the pocket is a heckuva lot better than a .45 back in the house.

I'm personally partial to the fine little weapons made by Seecamp and own both a .32 and a .380.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I'm suprised nobody has said anything about derringers. You can get them in many calibers.

Or the NAA mini revolvers in .22LR or .22MAG talk about tiny...

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
It's a decent gun. I won't lecture on .380 or even the suggestion of a .22. A .22 for SD is a joke and the laugh is on you. As for the .380, it's too small, no lecture, just the truth. Is it better than a stick? Yes but I guarauntee you'll feel differently about the subject when you're in a real life SD situation and pull that Keltec!

But, they are okay. I've owned two for years. They work and my second one is absolutely reliable. I never could get the first one to be, even after multiple trips back to the factory.

I also have an LCP. I like it too. The P3AT has a more aggressive grip and I think it's easier to hold on to when shooting. Other than that, it's all looks.

I found you need to keep these clean. They work better. Break it down and clean it every week and you're good to go.

Keltec is definiely cheaper. If I had my druthers, I'd get the Kahr P380 because it has better sights and actually locks back after the last round. The others don't and that's annoying because you have to count rounds or you end up pulling the trigger on an empty gun after the last round.

The new Sig is pretty and nice and I would imagine fun to shoot but a mousegun in the pocket doesn't have any business haveing a thumb safety on it. It goes against the whole intent of a pocket gun.

No little .380 pocket piece is "fun" to shoot but that's not the point is it?

Seecamps are great guns but can feel surprisingly heavy as would an NAA because of their all metal construction. The polymer frames of the P3AT, LCP, and P380 make a world of difference and it will matter.

There really isn't anything else quite in the league of the three I just mentioned when you balance all of the features like capacity, profile, weight, etc. So one you get to these three it's price and personal preference. Period.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I am a recent convert to the J-frame community. Go for it...you wont regret it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The 380 and pocket guns are, generally speaking, OK.

Now if you shoot and practice enough and dont just drop the gun in you pocket without ever testing it or practicing like most of the pocket 380 crowd then it is a GOOD choice.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm suprised nobody has said anything about derringers. You can get them in many calibers.

Bond arms makes several, but for the price and heft, you may as well buy a J frame or compact auto. (over 20 oz for a 2 shot gun!)
The only real advantage I see there is you can get a LEGAL .410 double...:35:
Not sure if they're +P rated.

Cobra has several in pistol calibers. (.22LR, .22WMR, .32ACP, .380, .38SP, 9mm)
Prices top out at a tad under $200 for the .38sp.
I don't think any are +P

There are a few others floating around, but to the best of my knowledge these are the only ones in current production. (Edit: out of business DOES imply poor quality, do your homework before you plunk down good money on a questionable gun)

NAA makes a tiny .22 revolver, and I mean TINY!! I've seen 2, one owned by the CCW instructor I went to, and one at a gunshop.

·
Registered
366 Posts

I have the NAA mini .22mag with folding grip.......and i love this gun
and I just purchased the LCP yesterday......

1 - 20 of 66 Posts