Defensive Carry banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Food for thought...
I could be C-123, C-141 or Chinook given such criteria.
Now that I think of it, I do not think I ever landed on a C-141. Only time I ever was on one was at Ft Benning. Four jumps were C-141's and one was a C-130. I can't remember if I ever flew in a C-141 as a passenger. Hmmm..I need to jog my memory which is getting pretty old.

·
Super Moderator
16,185 Posts
Now that I think of it, I do not think I ever landed on a C-141. Only time I ever was on one was at Ft Benning. Four jumps were C-141's and one was a C-130. I can't remember if I ever flew in a C-141 as a passenger. Hmmm..I need to jog my memory which is getting pretty old.
Had an Army Jumpmaster tell me he got $90 a month to jump out of airplanes, I told him I got $200 a month to drop him off then I go back to a cold beer and a warm bed.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Had an Army Jumpmaster tell me he got $90 a month to jump out of airplanes, I told him I got $200 a month to drop him off then I go back to a cold beer and a warm bed.
When we jumped out of the CV-22 Osprey the pilots and crew chief said we were the smart ones wearing parachutes LOL. That was back in the mid 2000's when they were still having lots of problems :)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
All through high school, early 80's, my mom worked as a GS worker at NIS Camp Pendleton. I remember her typing up case reports.
My dad was an MP at Camp Pendleton. In charge of troopers and K9 units.
I wasn't a bad teen but...let's just say when you get stopped for speeding and the MP asks you if you're "Top's son" you get let loose with a warning......
Or taken home to Top and let him deal with you. >;~}

·
Registered
517 Posts
I would think mine is fairly self explanatory. Back in the early 90s, when the wife and I were dating, she asked if i was a workaholic, since I was working 2 full time jobs, or 1 and a part time job, even though I lived in an apartment that cost me a whopping $185 a month, with utilities paid.... the reputation for working whatever hours and or shift was needed, without a second thought, and usually putting in as much as 100+ hours a week followed me, wherever I worked at. That has calmed down over the past few years, as I got into my mid 40s and now into my 50s, since I am now back onto a job that has an hourly wage. That reputation at work is still there, but is now referred to as "old reliable". Where i work, out of the 400 people there, I can guarantee about 90% of them are younger than me... and don't have anywhere near the same work ethic.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
When we jumped out of the CV-22 Osprey the pilots and crew chief said we were the smart ones wearing parachutes LOL. That was back in the mid 2000's when they were still having lots of problems :)
My neighbor on the corner diagonally across the street was on the design team for the Osprey. He's retired, but still enjoys chewing the fat about it. I can't talk about most of the stuff I worked on except in general terms, so I talk about my uncle. He was a designer with Convair / General Dynamics and later Lockheed. F-102, F-106, B-58, F-111, F-16, C5A, L1011.

I, on the other hand, worked on ,%% , &&&& , $$$$, and $$$$$$. Interesting huh?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Recon- 1st Reconnaissance Battalion, 1st Marine Division

1342- MOS designator for Small Craft Mechanic

I’m one of the few people I know who’ve driven a rubber boat (F-470 Zodiac) in a combat zone.

·
Premium Member
33,809 Posts
I went through Airborne School in 1979 at Benning. Our five jumps there were all out of C-123's, the only times I ever boarded that aircraft. While at Bragg with the 82nd, my battalion was tasked with testing the C-141 stretch models for their suitability for airborne operations. I had several jumps from them, but never landed in one. The only time I was ever in a Chinook was on a Saturday "fun jump" at Bragg, a Hollywood tailgater. The bulk of our jumps at Bragg were out of 130's, which I had occasion to land in several times during non-jumping unit transports. I've also jumped from, rappelled from and landed in Hueys.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I went through Airborne School in 1979 at Benning. Our five jumps there were all out of C-123's, the only times I ever boarded that aircraft. While at Bragg with the 82nd, my battalion was tasked with testing the C-141 stretch models for their suitability for airborne operations. I had several jumps from them, but never landed in one. The only time I was ever in a Chinook was on a Saturday "fun jump" at Bragg, a Hollywood tailgater. The bulk of our jumps at Bragg were out of 130's, which I had occasion to land in several times during non-jumping unit transports. I've also jumped from, rappelled from and landed in Hueys.
The C-141 SUCKED. Literally sucked you out of the plane LOL. Very violent exit compared to a C-130 door jump. CH-47 Chinook tailgate is THE best to jump. You hardly even notice the opening shock it is so gentle (well, a little exaggeration). Next in line with be a Sherpa. Very gentle exit. I did not like Casa's. If there was turbulence I was bouncing against the walls all the exiting way the aircraft. DC-3's were fun, but I did not like using the static line extenders. I definitely prefer a UH-1 over a UH-60 from a Jumpmaster point of view. The 1st and 8th jumpers static lines always worried me because of the slack needed.

Thank you for your service!

·
Registered
34,034 Posts
I jumped out of a B-52 once. Just about broke my ankle hitting the ground. That's what happens when you miss the steps of the entry ladder with your arms full of parts. I don't think a parachute would have helped much. Maybe if I had landed on my back.

·
Premium Member
4,374 Posts
CTR is short for centered. A state of being in balance, being in grace with the Father.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I jumped out of a B-52 once. Just about broke my ankle hitting the ground. That's what happens when you miss the steps of the entry ladder with your arms full of parts. I don't think a parachute would have helped much. Maybe if I had landed on my back.
You don’t need a parachute to skydive.

Unless you want to skydive twice.

81 - 100 of 115 Posts