Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In addition to shortening the factory stock's lop a smidge, I was thinking a metal buttplate would be useful for striking when the gun inevitably runs out of ammo. I'm reasonably handy and might make one, but I'm reasonably lazy too...anyone know of an existing plate that might fit?

EDIT: I'm also impatient, so I just dropped a few bucks on a small plate of .25 steel. As soon as I make and install my kick butt buttplate, I'll post pics. I've got a week off at the end of April, so this is my project :D

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
As a collector of military firearms I've shot a LOT of guns with metal buttplates and to be honest I'd rather have a rubber buttplate and enjoy training with it often than have a metal one punishing my shoulder every time I go to the range.

But to each their own. If you forsee a great need for stoving in heads with buttplate strikes and don't mind tearing your shoulder up, go right ahead!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
If you want a project, how about fitting an axe blade to the underside of the stock? If you run out of ammo spin the gun around and voila! Instant axe!

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I think your project is more important to you than the functional difference of a "steel" butt-plate. Which is cool, I LIKE projects.

Reactions: cayman_shen

·
Registered
959 Posts
If you want a project, how about fitting an axe blade to the underside of the stock? If you run out of ammo spin the gun around and voila! Instant axe!
YES. This is the most ridiculous unnecessary idea I have heard in the past five years. I am doing this now. pics to come.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
...how about fitting an axe blade to the underside of the stock? If you run out of ammo spin the gun around and voila! Instant axe!
I thought about this last night. Why not make the .25" steel butt-plate ~.75" longer at the bottom, keeping the same stock profile? Then put a angle (think lawn mower blade) on the extension. What a skull-splittin' pommel.

Reactions: atctimmy

·
8,501 Posts
You people scare me.....and yet somehow this thread is cool.

I have no interest in a steel "recoil dampener" on my shotgun. I do like projects though, I once built a Mauser just for fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts