Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a specific purpose built gun case made to be installed under the seat, or some other out-of-sight spot in the passenger compartment.
I want to be able to lock my gun in my car, and have the case bolted to the seat frame, or elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
So far I have found high end electronic release combo cases and bulky $30 large cases. Am trying to find a slim , cheaper than $80 case.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rocky,Yes, the container needs to be thin.
My thought is that it should mount to the seat frame, and have the ability to slide out on rails, kind of like a drawer.
It still has to be secure to the vehicle, plus it must have the ability to be locked.
I have a console, but I doubt there is enough room in that for a container.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Springer, that is a very nice little safe.Thanks.
That is closer to what I\'m thinking of.
I doubt I would get exactly what I want, unless I make it.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Have yet to find a small side opening safe yet. Found em with big hinged door , but they won't fit / open under a seat or similar small space.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Rocky before the change over to this new forum, we did a brief discussion on this. Here is the link to that discussion.

~A

chameleon said:
Is there a specific purpose built gun case made to be installed under the seat, or some other out-of-sight spot in the passenger compartment.
I want to be able to lock my gun in my car, and have the case bolted to the seat frame, or elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Currently I am leaning towards the Sentry Safe V120 for my Excursion.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
JWB, what do you carry in those boxes???

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JWB, that's the best yet. I like it.
American Rifleman just had a whole story on this very subject. I got that in the mail just yesterday. one I looked at was www.truckvault.com

Now, would this little box cable tied to my seat frame in my truck protect me from the law? If I were to have my vehicle stolen?

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
thanks for the link. Don't think those will work. Am looking for a full size auto pistol box, but not much more. Looking to install under the seat or on trans tunnel of a 96 GMC Sierra

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have two keyed the same and bought extra cables so I can move the boxes between vehicles and if needed, have both in the vehicle. I can put a glock 23 with extra mag or my g27 with extra mag in one with no problem.

Anything can be ripped from a vehicle if the thief has proper tools, but for a snatch and grab, I doubt if a thief could remove it from a vehicle easily. Besides, with the cable, they are easily kept out of sight and would not attract interest of a safe bolted to the floor of a truck. Also, since they are so mobile, I can take them with me in my computer case if I see reason. Since both are keyed the same, it makes it very convient to lock the guns up and keep them kid safe in the house.

I also avoid identification on my vehicles indicating that I might have weapons within...other than my bowhunting decals ;o)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JWB, I did not get my case in yet.
Can it be mounted to the floor of a car? Is the cable the only way to attach the box to a vehicle?
I was hoping that it has bolt holes, and I can somehow bolt it under the console somhow. I would like it out of sight, and more secure than just relying on that cable.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I didn't wish to start a new thread on an old subject so I'll ask here.

My vehicle is a regular cab full size truck. I find the greatest place for me to keep it is in a pistol case behind the center of the seat (I have bench style seats). With the other junk I have wedged back there, it doesn't travel from side to side. It's very easy to reach, and I can reach back there and retrieve it in a hurry.

The best part is that it's fire and forget so to speak. It's not at all visible in any way unless you were to conduct a thorough search of the cab.

I am at a loss however as to how to find a way to make it more secure. I'd like to be able to tie it to something with a steel cable and put a better lock on it, but I fear I would be trying to save myself from myself with safety measures that could get in the way in a true crisis, if you know what I mean.

Or can I not have my cake and eat it too?

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
When I am driving and not carrying it in a holster on me, like when I am traveling to and from work. I carry it in the front compartment of a book pack I have in the seat beside me. In the pack it is normally out of the holster. When I get to work I simply zip the compartment and leave it in the seat. I should tell you I have a reserved spot on the bottom floor of a parking garage in a spot next to the elevator and I don't worry about someone breaking in to get the pack. If I pull in somewhere that I am not going to carry, I can put the pack behind my seat until I get back. If I am carrying on me (or in the pack) and am going into a restaurant that serves alcohol or another place that I cannot carry it, I have the cable gun lock that came with my gun already locked to a steel cargo tie down in the cargo area of my Jeep Grand Cherokee. The lock stays there all the time. I also throw some of the "stuff" I have back there over the top of it. It works for me. :smile:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just got my "Secure-It" security box today. It is very well made for the money, and it looks like just what I need to place in my vehicle.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Vehicle Storage Safe

One of the other sites I hang out on has a small, cable attached box for sale. It's a nice handy size, and it's cheap. I've got 2 of them, they work out very well for me. Both of my cars have non-locking storage boxes under the passenger seat. Cable the box into the seat frame, and toss it into the storage box. A determined attack would get the box free, but I can leave a gun in the car when I need to without worrying about it walking away with some punk.

http://www.missouricarry.com/cgi-bin/thatsanorder_LE

1 - 20 of 23 Posts