1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
WOW, that's something...

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
I don't know. Time will tell. I doubt I will ever see one for sell at the local gun shop.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
And you think .380 is hard to find...

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Sometimes low tech is a good thing.

Current firearms are quite amazing.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
It makes a Gatling gun look slow, lol. But as far as jamming goes - yeah, it may not jam, but what happens if the connections get wet or the battery is dead or a switch malfunctions?

Also, as mentioned above, it doesn't look very easy to reload, especially under battlefield conditions.

-

·
Registered
54 Posts
That's frightening. I can't imagine having to be on the receiving end of that 16,000 rounds per second. Just wait until this falls in the wrong hands..

·
Registered
749 Posts
Intriguing concept. I prefer "old fashioned" firearms. Since it fires electronically, in theory an EMP could render this weapon system useless.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Pre-loaded, eh? So, only so many rounds as can be stuffed into the barrels. No multi-thousand round payload like the 20mm Vulcan cannon. It's more like a bomb payload, in that regard.

I wonder: on a pistol, how would you reload? With a contemporary pistol, for example, you simply swap magazines. How would this thing swap in a new batch of ammo? That didn't seem clear, in the presentation.

Since it fires electronically, in theory an EMP could render this weapon system useless.
I was thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Any mechanical device with moving parts has manny opportunities to fail in some way. Of course, electronics fail too. This is kind of like when they started converting cars to electronic ignition rather than mechanical points, rotor button, etc. I think it has potential for certain applications, but heck, I can't seem to keep my cell phone battery charged...how in the heck could I keep up with recharging my handgun? Would it have a car adapter and AC / DC capabilities? Forget to charge it up and have to unwind a couple hundred feet of drop cord to do some yard work. I could see me in the Wal Mart parking lot now, "I have a dead battery....can you jump me off? No, not my truck, my handgun."

Military applications for unmanned aircraft of vehicles or stationary positions has a lot of potential, but I think I'll stick with my Snubnosed 38s. I'm not much on advanced technology...I'm still driving 60s Volkswagen bugs.

·
Super Moderator
18,176 Posts
Metal Storm the Company may be down and out, but the concept is too good to die.

There are too many advantages to a system like this. One operator can cover a lot of turf with perimeter weapons. How about cheap, one shot weapons that you don't have to recover?
Air,Land or Sea, the applications are limited only by the imagination.
For handguns, reloading with prepackaged rounds could be as simple as slapping a magazine in it.
Tracked Vehicles with heavy rounds. Man portable weapons. Even anti satellite weapons in space.

I don't think this one is going away. Its already seen various phases of testing by the military.The fact that the private corporation that started it is going away will only make things easier for the developers of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts