Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Christmas Eve service just finished and I was talking to the person next to me. All of the sudden came a loud clatter behind me and I turned around to see a fellow's full-size revolver bouncing off the chair in front of him and skid across the floor. Next came the sheepish red face and scramble to shove the large blued gun into his coat pocket. Following was the explanation or apology to the church goer next to him. It got me wondering about other stories of guns that tried to get away. Any good ones?

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Super Moderator
18,052 Posts
Back when I first started carrying I was carrying a Kel-Tec P-32 in a cheap Uncle Mike’s IWB holster, going into a local Chinese restaurant to pick up a to go order I suddenly felt something fall out of my waistband then hear it hit the floor. Suddenly I realized to my horror that it was my pistol and holster skittering across the floor. Quickly scooping them up I immediately I stuffed them into my pocket hoping no one saw them. The gun Gods must have been smiling down on me since no one called 911 or ran from the restaurant in a blind panic over seeing a gun.

·
Registered
862 Posts
When I got out of the Navy I got a job as a railroad police officer. I was working the Washington, DC area and we were "Armed Security" in DC. We wore civilian clothes and I was carrying in a holster with spring retention. At some point while checking boxcars on sidings in the seady part of DC I lost my weapon. I discovered it when I got back to the office. I had to retrace my travels and search for my gun. Luckly for me I found it lying between the tracks in the grass where it landed when I hopped off a loading dock onto the ground. I threw that holster away that night.

·
Premium Member
36,808 Posts
I had a Kimber climb out of a Crossbreed once when the grip caught on the arm of a chair while taking a seat. That was the last time I ever used a poorly-designed holster.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Never had a handgun get loose but at a gun friendly friendly dentist I had on a new pair of pants from Columbia that had larger pockets . After being layed back a while my back up mag , a 40sw double stack mag slide out of my pocket and holder and hit the floor . I said I'm sorry about that , she said it was not not a big deal and had it happen a couple times before along with a couple handguns and that she carried her dads ole s&w 3913 . Not my finest moment but at least it was under gun friend conditions .

·
Premium Member
24,512 Posts
A couple of years ago I had a holster and gun try and jump ship on me. I carry in a Tucker Leather Cover Up, with the J-hook belt clip. I broke the clip and didn't realize it. As I went to set down in a chair the arm hit the bottom of the holster and pushed it up. While it didn't fall out, it came close. I was able to push it back into position and make a trip to the restroom to secure it until I got to my vehicle. I now carry a spare j-hook in my truck and inspect the installed one often to make sure there is no signs of defects in it.

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A friend tells the story about sitting on the throne in a public restroom. Another gentleman enters the next stall, preps for the process, and his 1911 goes skittering under the divider of his stall. The friend remarks "you dropped something" and hands the gun back under the divider.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Back in the Disco era I lost one on the dance floor. At least three people kicked it before it stopped When I caught up with it I reholstered it and looked around to see who noticed it. It was unbeleavable but no one seemed to notice a full size black gun! All my holsters after that has a retention strap!

I was at a wedding where a gal lost her 25 auto. It fired into the floor when it hit. She picked it up, looked around , pocketed it and started dancing again! No one seemed to notice.

If you carry long enough it will happen to all of us. I do think holsters have gotten better over the years. DR

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
A St Louis City Police Lieutenant I knew was out shopping, knelt down to tie a loose shoelace and the small automatic he carried off duty fell out of his pocket and clattered to the floor.

At that time, In St Louis, it was almost impossible to get a carry permit so, of course, someone called in MWAG. The Lieutenant was stopped shortly thereafter by two County Police officers who asked for his ID. This smartass Lieutenant pulled his badge and basically said go suck eggs.

The Lieutenant's son told me later his dad got in a lot of trouble when the next day's activity reports came out, and he was in it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had a dodo friend admitted he was carrying a 1911 compact, just slipped in his pants without holster. He said he was in drug store and it slipped down his pant leg and skittered across the floor. He grabbed it and ran out. He later sold me the gun. Hey Rick, remember that?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Thus far I have been lucky to have no incidents. I'm thanking members of this forum when I started carrying to advised not to skimp on belt and holster combination. I took that advice (after all, you guys know a lot more than me). Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Back in 1985 or so, I was on a US Marshall/DEA task force and CCW'ing a S&W 6906 is a horizontal shoulder holster. It was winter time and I was wearing a big jacket. We went into the local market to order a sandwich and I put my walki-talki in my left side inside jacket pocket. When we got into the market, there goes my 6906 tumbling onto the floor. Now mind you, this was New Jersey where everyone is scared to see a firearm. I calmly picked up the 6906 and stated to everyone there, don't get nervous I was a "Cop" and placed the 6906 back into the holster. A couple minutes later, the 6906 winds up on the floor again! Than it dawned on me that the antenna on the walking-talki in my jacket was un-snapping the holster and releasing the pistol.
Needless to say, we didn't go back to that market even though they made of of the best sandwiches in the area.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not a loose gun story, but my wife was going through airport security and they discovered a forgotten fully loaded magazine in her purse. Thank god this was in Texas. They said that she could either take it back to the car or forfeit it. She didn't have time to run to the car, so she forfeited it.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
My only story on this one: back in the 70's I was carrying a Browning HP in my Coast Guard pea coat in a Seattle restaurant.
Stood up to leave and down it went, butt first. Fortunately it was dark, and the floor was carpet....no one noticed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
While in a meeting with a prospective client, I reached over to the printer and to my horror my ccw fell to the floor and slid under her chair. Not entirely sure what pulled it from the IWB holster, but she was terrified. It took some slick walking and talking to smooth out those wrinkles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
36,808 Posts
While in a meeting with a prospective client, I reached over to the printer and to my horror my ccw fell to the floor and slid under her chair. Not entirely sure what pulled it from the IWB holster, but she was terrified. It took some slick walking and talking to smooth out those wrinkles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Great way to practice your people skills.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thus far I have been lucky to have no incidents. I'm thanking members of this forum when I started carrying to advised not to skimp on belt and holster combination. I took that advice (after all, you guys know a lot more than me). Keeping my fingers crossed.
Like you I get good holsters, Crossbreed and Galco and have not had problems. I always cringe when I discover friends carrying in their pocket or some cheap $10 one size fits all junk holster.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
In the 80's I threw a S&W 9mm in my jacket pocket and went for a m/c ride.
I only went about 15 miles, and when I got home....no gun. I knew that the county used trustees to clean the sides of the roads, so I was particularly upset.
I walked the first five miles checking the shoulders to no avail.
I then called the sheriff's office and told them of my mis-fortune. The deputy asked me to describe it and I gave him the make and model and he asked if there was any distinguishing marks on it. Yep, the bluing was off of the left side of the slide due to cough medicine spilling on it.
Come get it, he said, we have it here in front of us.
God bless the honest citizen that turned it in! He found it in the middle of his driveway at the road edge.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts