Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaving within the hour for a weekend trip to Kentucky to see a client and my sister while I'm there. I believe that I should be good-to-go CCing while traveling to the aforementioned destination but wanted to throw this up here to make sure. I will most likely contact the OH State Police as well. Anything that I should be aware of? Please advise!

Also-my sister expressed an interest in going to the range while I'm down there. I have a pistol in my possession that belongs to my Dad. MI law allows me to have this as I have a CPL. Is this the case in OH and KY?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Yes, you are OK in both states. Ohio is a must inform state should you get stopped.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Since you have Michigan license plates on your car be very carefull in Ohio. The Ohio State Police LOVE to pull over Michigan cars at the border. (I think it goes back to the days of Bo Schembechler at U of M). :image035:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I've heard that. Been through OH a number of times, just not carrying. BTW, my intel has informed me that there is no speed limit on the shoulders in OH! :image035:

·
Registered
47 Posts
If your carrying while driving through Ohio, the gun has to be on your person, in a closed container, or in either the glove box or center council (so no holsters attached to the car interior or sitting on the floor). Also, a gun is considered loaded if the magazine has rounds in it, even if the gun is in the trunk and the loaded magazines are in the front.....might be something you would want to know.

GO BUCKS
-spoz

·
8,501 Posts
If your carrying while driving through Ohio, the gun has to be on your person, in a closed container, or in either the glove box or center council (so no holsters attached to the car interior or sitting on the floor). Also, a gun is considered loaded if the magazine has rounds in it, even if the gun is in the trunk and the loaded magazines are in the front.....might be something you would want to know.

GO BUCKS
-spoz
I think that law went away last September. Anyone else know for sure?

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I think that law went away last September. Anyone else know for sure?
Yes and no... For a permit holder, it went away. Otherwise, its business as usual. The whole ammo in trunk thing did go away.
As long as the gun is not accessible from the passenger compartment or it is in plain view, you are OK. (for the non permit holder)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't know the laws in MI, OH, or KY, but I just want to say,

GO BUCKS! and Wolverines stink. (I grew up in Ohio and my wife went to U of M. :smile: )

·
Registered
176 Posts
Since you have Michigan license plates on your car be very carefull in Ohio. The Ohio State Police LOVE to pull over Michigan cars at the border. (I think it goes back to the days of Bo Schembechler at U of M). :image035:
Really they do it just because its a well known fact that Michigan drivers drive like their car is on fire, and only 100+MPH winds will put it out. :image035:

I swear the kids out hot rodding in Ohio drive 5 under :rolleyes:

Its always funny though to cross the MI/OH border on 23 or 75 going into Michigan as traffic picks up 10-15 mph in like 100ft. I think they should add to the "Welcome to Michigan" signs the phrase "The land of reasonable speed limits that are ignored" :hand10:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Its always funny though to cross the MI/OH border on 23 or 75 going into Michigan as traffic picks up 10-15 mph in like 100ft. I think they should add to the "Welcome to Michigan" signs the phrase "The land of reasonable speed limits that are ignored" :hand10:

I usually speed up when re-entering Michigan so I can blow out all of the carbon that may have formed while driving under the speed limit in Ohio. :hand10:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I figure you have already left but if not, the weather here in KY. is quiet pleasant for a change. About 48/f at 4:6PM eastern.

Travel safe!

Craig

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
Is U of M a 4 year college? :lolp:

Go Gators!:schild42:

-----------------------------------------
To the OP...
Drive slowly in OH...:yup:

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
It's a fact known by every Kentuckian that nobody from Michigan or Ohio can drive.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Speed limts in MI are just like those in TX - they are only a suggestion!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts