Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
........ for a handle on a fixed blade knife.
Some pros and cons.....yes and no's..... anyone ? Bueller ? :smile:

Arthur :biggrin2:

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I would say it depends on intended use. Stabilized/impregnated wood is good, but (IME) not as resilient as linen micarta. Linen and paper micarta are more forgiving of being disinfected, if that is a concern..........

·
Administrator
144,354 Posts
The Ivory Micarta is nice and gets a patina sort of like real ivory.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Micarta is a great insulator if that matters . It is more durable. It comes in some great colors/patterns. The canvas is something you can really muckle on to.

Take a look at some of the knife forums. Most of the high end,entended to be really used knives are streight and micarta. I wish that more knives came with canvas micarta.

With the two materials that you mentioned it would be(for me)an easy choice. ...........MICARTA !! --------

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
for a work knife micarta , for a show knife wood , preferably petrified, cut and polished ( we have a lot of that stuff laying arround and its pretty if ya polish it up )

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
roughed linen micarta is very good for gripping when wet, the polished micarta is extremely slippery in sweat and blood.

I like wood myself, even on my working knives. Keep the mineral oil to it once a month and it will never dry and crack on you, even here in the sonoran desert of Az.:yup:

I'd start with a good hardwood to begin with like african blackwood or desert ironwood.

My daily straight is ironwood burl shown here and is very showy yet can take abuse.

Brownie

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good lookin' piece Brownie...:hand10:

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts artz,

Of all the knives I have handled, worked with, played with, my premium grade elkhorn stag handled Covington Bowie and the Ramboillet sheephorn handled Ed Fowler bowie are the best grips I have put my hands on.

I no longer have the fowler, but the sheephorn handled knife would take some serious abuse and never even notice it where other materials would suffer.

One day I'll have one made with that sheephorn again for a serious working knife. In the meantime, here's the premium grade elkhorn stag handled Covington, one of the all time favorites for grip and toughness.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=9150

Brownie

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
could you recommend any makers who can make a hell-bent working knife that you just described without going to the poor house ?

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
If you want stag or sheephorn, look to Greg Covington where price is concerned.

Fowlers work has never been cheap in a manner of speaking.

If you want to touch base with Greg, I can put you in touch with him via email. I just threw up an order for three identical "sister" bowies of damascus with 9 inch blades. Mine will have another piece of elkhorn stag like the one on the link or I may have him get some Ramboulliet sheep horn from Fowler for my handle on this one.

Greg is not out of sight on pricing yet but makes a hell of a knife, I carry that Bowie often enough, it's tough and would be even tougher with sheephorn instead of stag.

Both grips materials are mother nature at it's finest and oh so good looking on a blade when done right. Shoot me a pm if you want his email, and you can use my name as an intro if you want to.

Brownie

·
Registered
61 Posts
I like micarta well enough, but I would take Ironwood or G-10 over it any day or the week.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts