Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just announced. DOS and WH caught unaware. :blink:

DOS and Agency personnel ordered to shelter in place.

Erdogan whereabouts unknown.

Martial Law declared by military.

Incirlik AFB has Nukes.

Obama blames it on the NRA. (Not really, just testing)

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Reported shots fired at civilians, and reports of at least one explosion. Crazy.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I hope that this does not turn into another Benghazi...but, I seriously doubt that it will.

·
Banned
374 Posts
While we will assume a surprised stance, in reality, the U.S. likely orchestrated, and funded, this coup. Erdogan has been leading Turkey down an Islamic path for a while now and there have been rumblings for months that a solution had to be found soon. In the long run, this will be a good thing for the West. Latest reports are that Erdogan and family are in Tehran.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
While we will assume a surprised stance, in reality, the U.S. likely orchestrated, and funded, this coup. Erdogan has been leading Turkey down an Islamic path for a while now and there have been rumblings for months that a solution had to be found soon. In the long run, this will be a good thing for the West. Latest reports are that Erdogan and family are in Tehran.
I concur with this...as long as all of the players carryout the plan and don't wonder off into something different.

With the timing of this...pretty sure the US has it's hands in it.

Reactions: MainframeCoder

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
Meh.

Turkey is an odd place. About every ten years, the military ousts the civilian government and shortly thereafter gives over control to a new civilian government. This time, they went 19 years, so this was overdue.

Kind of like a reset button for the government. Odd way to run a nation, but it works for them.

·
Banned
374 Posts
It's the wee hours in Turkey and I don't think anyone is going to know who is truly in control until morning. Erdogan is reportedly in Tehran and the military has occupied the presidential palace. As with a lot of coups, it will likely now be decided by which faction the world recognizes in the morning. The U.S., Europe, Russia, Iraq (especially the Northern Kurds), and most of the Middle East, all benefit by seeing Erdogan gone. Turkey was moving quickly in an Islamist fashion and was becoming more and more of an oddball as a supposed NATO member.

I hope the military has succeeded in eliminating him from Turkey and that a pro West government can be installed ASAP.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
I thought was the other way around...The population is leaning more and more towards an Islamic government, but Erdogan is trying to preserve his secular government. I understood that he was making some concessions as necessary to compromise and avoid a full scale defeat by the Islamists.
Someone smarter than me needs to chime in on this though... I could be wrong

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
Just announced. DOS and WH caught unaware. :blink:

DOS and Agency personnel ordered to shelter in place.

Erdogan whereabouts unknown.

Martial Law declared by military.

Incirlik AFB has Nukes.

Obama blames it on the NRA. (Not really, just testing)
That right there pretty much describes the vast majority of the last 7 1/2 years...

·
Banned
374 Posts
I thought was the other way around...The population is leaning more and more towards an Islamic government, but Erdogan is trying to preserve his secular government. I understood that he was making some concessions as necessary to compromise and avoid a full scale defeat by the Islamists.
Someone smarter than me needs to chime in on this though... I could be wrong
I think the situation with Erdogan had become impossible to maintain. The Turkish people mostly were opposed to the Islamic movement but Erdogan, like so much of Europe, had adopted such an appeasement stance that eventual capitulation was unavoidable. I think this coup will, in the long-term, be good for everyone. Who "won" will mostly be decided by the world community in the morning. Who is declared to be "in charge" will de facto be in charge.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Very confusing....both sides are claiming that they are trying to preserve democracy. Erdogan was becoming more authoritarian, especially cracking down on Kurdish separatists, which I thought was widely supported by the Turkish citizens.
Sounds like there are more than two or three sides in this fight, which makes it complicated to understand.

Reactions: CBennett

·
Banned
374 Posts
Control of the spin will be critical. The major powers will ultimately decide who won. I don't think we have any way to know who is ultimately going to prevail until the morning.

ETA: If the coup fails, things will get interesting in a hurry regarding Turkey's relationship with NATO and the West.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
From what I've read, the military heavily leans toward the philosophy of Kemal Atatürk, The Republic of Turkey's founder. He set Turkey up as a Constitutional Republic with secular Western leanings. When the government starts threatening Democracy in that country, they will rise up and stage a coup to ensure that the people have their freedoms. It appears that Erdogan was starting to lean pretty heavily toward an authoritarian, sharia style government.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Armed_Forces#Role_of_the_military_in_Turkish_politics

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Not that the reporting has been very clear, but it appears that the whole thing is a train wreck.

Reactions: Rock and Glock
1 - 20 of 38 Posts