Defensive Carry banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did some searching and didn't find a clear answer on this:
I am in the military and live in on-post housing. I am wanting to start carrying on a daily basis for trips off post but am trying to figure out the best method of transporting my EDC on and off post to keep on-post police happy while still having my EDC ready when I get to my destination.

Generally, post wants the handgun unloaded and ammo and firearm stored seperately by as much distance as possible - for example keeping my ammo in the glovebox and handgun in the trunk. Thinking through how this would work, at some point I would have to get out of the car, load the handgun, and holster it. This makes me feel like I look like I'm about to rob whatever store I'm about to head into. It just seems like it opens a bunch of issues with brandishing a firearm and all that.

I'm looking for advice on how other people would approach this. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
Ask the base police what the policy is on it.

Reactions: baren and Rhinoman

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
It is way past time for the military to come up with a rational process. Like the commander at Dyess AFB did a year or so ago. Still waiting for other bases to adopt similar policy.

Dyess allows concealed handgun transport in privately-owned vehicles > Dyess Air Force Base > Article Display

ETA: Well, apparently it has spread to some bases:
Cannon AFB: Revised policy for transporting privately owned handguns > Cannon Air Force Base > Article Display
Kirtland AFB Kirtland issues new gun policy > Kirtland Air Force Base > Article Display (dummy - requiring gun to be unloaded before entering base)

·
Registered
739 Posts
Did some searching and didn't find a clear answer on this:
I am in the military and live in on-post housing. I am wanting to start carrying on a daily basis for trips off post but am trying to figure out the best method of transporting my EDC on and off post to keep on-post police happy while still having my EDC ready when I get to my destination.

Generally, post wants the handgun unloaded and ammo and firearm stored seperately by as much distance as possible - for example keeping my ammo in the glovebox and handgun in the trunk. Thinking through how this would work, at some point I would have to get out of the car, load the handgun, and holster it. This makes me feel like I look like I'm about to rob whatever store I'm about to head into. It just seems like it opens a bunch of issues with brandishing a firearm and all that.

I'm looking for advice on how other people would approach this. Thanks for the help.
Each base is different. There is no "one size fits all" answer. AR 190-11 to start with, then you local post reg 190-1 or 190-11. Personally, I'd just google your post name, go to their web page and search "Privately Owned Weapons" for links to their local regs on the matter. For example, my post only requires that the ammo be OUT of the weapon when carried on post to the range or post housing, not in a separate container, however other posts specific as you noted.. separation of the ammo and the gun.

·
Registered
44,532 Posts
You seem to have the gist of it. And holstering a handgun is NOT brandishing.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Ask the base provost marshal's office. My base has not released a new policy on firearms since changes were made to the law in the last national defense authorization act.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Generally, post wants the handgun unloaded and ammo and firearm stored seperately by as much distance as possible - for example keeping my ammo in the glovebox and handgun in the trunk.
This is pretty much word for word what the provost office told me when I registered it. They said bare minimum is unloaded preferably out of arm's reach.

I think what I am most uncomfortable with is the idea of loading and chambering a round in a walmart parking lot for example. If I go with the bare-minimums, I could do all this in the car before getting out which is probably the route I will end up going. I just don't want to develop bad habits right at the start.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Double check with your base LEO. If it is as outlined above. Keep your mag in the glove box. Keep the firearm in a case that does not look like a firearm case in the back of the vehicle. Retrieve the case, get back in the drivers seat, insert the mag, rack the slide, holster the gun. Put case under the seat so you don't come back to a busted out window from someone trying to seal the case. Reverse when heading back to base.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I can't speak for military regulations . The similarity I have with your situation is that I have to have weekly blood sticks at a gun free hospital facility adjacent to a shopping mall . I lock my edc in my truck for the 30 minutes+/- I am in there . Then I drive to a remote part of the mall parking lot and discreetly rearm . Then I drive to one of the handicapped parking spots and do my shopping as an armed citizen .

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
I'm surprised the PMO lets you keep a POW in base housing. I had to keep mine in the arms room with a memo from the commander. Eventually, I found a friend to keep it off post.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Ask your unit commander.

I know that when I was at Ft. Stewart (many many moons ago when 24th ID was there) I was able to load and holster in the barracks, after checking it out of the arms room.

But Ft, Stewart was an open post with a couple of state highways running through it.

Every post/base is different and it will depend on the policies defined by your unit and installation commanders.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I currently live on Little Rock AFB. I chose to live here for the time being since my mother is in a nursing home. IT's to far to drive back and forth from South Texas. As a retiree I can live in base housing. When I signed for my quarters, I had to provide base housing and base security a list of weapons in my quarters. 3 Ars, 3 mm, 2 40 cals and 1 380. When I leave my quarters I carry my EDC to the safe under drivers seat unloaded place mag in glove box, Exit gate, I have a place I can pull over, move my set back, reach under seat, pull safe out, get EDC, reach it glove box for mag and reload, adjust set back and go about my day. Just reverse going back on base. As far as the rest and going to range. Just load them in back of SUV, ammo behind drivers seat in case.

Is this a hassle, you bet. But it a small price I pay to live in a secure place so I can see my mother more often and take some of the load off my sisters.

Robert

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I currently live on Little Rock AFB. I chose to live here for the time being since my mother is in a nursing home. IT's to far to drive back and forth from South Texas. As a retiree I can live in base housing. When I signed for my quarters, I had to provide base housing and base security a list of weapons in my quarters. 3 Ars, 3 mm, 2 40 cals and 1 380. When I leave my quarters I carry my EDC to the safe under drivers seat unloaded place mag in glove box, Exit gate, I have a place I can pull over, move my set back, reach under seat, pull safe out, get EDC, reach it glove box for mag and reload, adjust set back and go about my day. Just reverse going back on base. As far as the rest and going to range. Just load them in back of SUV, ammo behind drivers seat in case.

Is this a hassle, you bet. But it a small price I pay to live in a secure place so I can see my mother more often and take some of the load off my sisters.

Robert
Don't live on base (retired in 05) but am a DAC working on Ft. Leavenworth, and this is exactly the process I use. It's kind of a condition for employment.

Chuck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm surprised the PMO lets you keep a POW in base housing. I had to keep mine in the arms room with a memo from the commander. Eventually, I found a friend to keep it off post.
I've lived at 3 different posts and generally as long as you are not in barracks, you can have the POW inside your house locked up. Guys in the barracks are supposed to store them in the arms room but most find a friend to store them off post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts