Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been wanting to experiment a bit more with iwb carry with my 229. I have a Vhawk that I use to use but been thinking of trying something a bit different.

At first I was considering trying the "Summer special" type holster that a lot of folks make but then came across this and remember reading about something like this several years ago. I've always wondered about the "Summer special" style since the loops were on the front it seemed like it would add more bulk than holsters with the "wings" or whatever they are called on both sides of the holster.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/holst...wb-nat-blk.htm
ss1588_500x500_3.jpg

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I think that photo is of a Mitch Rosen ARG (not Milt Sparks as the title reads). I had one for a 1911 and it does reduce bulk but it shifted around a bit too much for me. It's made to do that, but I didn't like it. It rode a bit too high for my taste. For a Sig P229, I would think it would be worse since the double-stack grip is heavier.

·
Registered
671 Posts
It may be different for others, but for me, designs such as the Rosen ARG featuring the single belt loop to the rear of the trigger guard didn't work well. What I found is the force of the friction of the gun against the holster during the draw stroke tended to pull the mouth of the holster upward, causing the holster to rotate around the rear loop as though it were a pivot point. The end result was that the mouth of the holster pulled upward, out of the waistband some distance, necessitating more elbow lift and shoulder rotation than was necessary to clear the belt line.

The design also has an aggressive cant, roughly 30-35 degrees, which for me requires it to be worn pretty far back, past 4:30. Maybe that's part of the reason RG stands for "Rear Guard." However, the ARG, originally conceived by Massad Ayoob, does have its fans who are well satisfied with the design.

The Andrews McDanielII is similar in design, but the belt loop can be adjusted for angle of cant, and is considerably less costly.

Reactions: Eric357 and OD*

·
Super Moderator
22,275 Posts
I've always wondered about the "Summer special" style since the loops were on the front it seemed like it would add more bulk than holsters with the "wings" or whatever they are called on both sides of the holster.
I like what Davis Leather has done with Gordon William Davis's old 455 Security.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that photo is of a Mitch Rosen ARG (not Milt Sparks as the title reads). I had one for a 1911 and it does reduce bulk but it shifted around a bit too much for me. It's made to do that, but I didn't like it. It rode a bit too high for my taste. For a Sig P229, I would think it would be worse since the double-stack grip is heavier.

Your are absolutely correct. Where the heck I got it was a Milt Sparks I'll never know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts