Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We seem to have been over run lately with the usual gun forum chest thumping from the usual suspects. That got me wondering how many forum members (and perhaps lurkers) would be willing to discuss minimalist carry?

I am purposely not going to define what minimalist carry is, as I’m sure it will have varying definitions. That’s actually the first thing I’m curious about...what is your definition of the term.

Next, I’m interested in why you would carry that way? Simply want to be comfortable? (Heresy in the gun community!). Maybe you spent years with a heavy duty belt and are simply over it.

Perhaps you work in a non permissive environment? Need to have close physical contact with others? Have kids climbing over you? Need to climb around machinery?

Maybe you have physical infirmities?

Perhaps you are required or simply prefer to dress a certain way?

So, if you usually or even sometimes practice what you consider minimalist carry...let’s discuss.

And please...if you are a member of the “full size fighting pistol (sic) or nothing” brigade, or are a magnum caliber commando...don’t bother posting. We already know all your arguments.

As for me, my usual carry might be considered minimalist by some. Due to NPE at work, kids, preferred and required attire, and just wanting to be comfortable at times, I most often carry a pair of LCPs and one spare mag. No flashlight, knife (other than a tiny keychain Swiss Army), pepper spray, etc.

Let’s discuss...

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
I can’t figure out why so many posts seem to be attacking other people on this forum.

Personally I have very specific wants/needs in what I carry, that was arrived at over decades of refinement and training.
I could care less about what others use.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Yesterday was my version of minimalist carry. J frame, 649, appendix while tilling and planting the garden. Then various other yard work tasks. I did have a speed drip in my pocket.
No concern for squirrels or terrorists.

I would like to find a appendix rig that works for me and the 686.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. I am a minimalist carrier. My reasons are:
  • It is highly unlikely I, or any other non-LEO will ever need a gun.
  • If I do need one, I have one and I know how to use it.
  • I have my gun backed up with above average SA, H2H skills and LTL options. I will be OK.
  • Sure, I might get overwhelmed. But anyone carrying anything might get overwhelmed.
  • I just don't like carrying a lot of hardware. It makes me feel like I am wearing Batman's utility belt. I want to be able to forget I am carrying.
  • I admit, I am too big around the middle. Wearing anything weighty on my waist presents a problem.
So I carry either a BG 380 or a .38 LCR, usually in a pocket holster. I also keep a S&W Model 36 in my car.

Sometimes I carry the BG in an "underwear holster," similar to a Smart Carry but a different brand, when I go to my daughter's house. She is anti-gun and would freak out if she knew I was carrying. There is a lot off hugging that goes on at her house and grandchildren sitting on laps. It would be easy to get discovered, but that method works really well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Minimal for me:
Lcp or lcp 2. Pocket carried. Spare mag. Small stubby knife (<2.5"). Flashlight, keys, wallet and usually a small multi tool. I'm one of the full size guys, but have no problem accepting smaller platforms if I need to, whatever the reason may be.

For those who are anti flashlight, you may want to reconsider that. I'll argue about being about to illuminate a possible threat, before what caliber to deal with that threat. Face the fact that cutting the power to a building is a great way to induce panic, and may be used as the start of a bad person, doing bad things.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. I am a minimalist carrier. My reasons are:
  • It is highly unlikely I, or any other non-LEO will ever need a gun.
  • If I do need one, I have one and I know how to use it.
  • I have my gun backed up with above average SA, H2H skills and LTL options. I will be OK.
  • Sure, I might get overwhelmed. But anyone carrying anything might get overwhelmed.
  • I just don't like carrying a lot of hardware. It makes me feel like I am wearing Batman's utility belt. I want to be able to forget I am carrying.
  • I admit, I am too big around the middle. Wearing anything weighty on my waist presents a problem.
So I carry either a BG 380 or a .38 LCR, usually in a pocket holster. I also keep a S&W Model 36 in my car.

Sometimes I carry the BG in an "underwear holster," similar to a Smart Carry but a different brand, when I go to my daughter's house. She is anti-gun and would freak out if she knew I was carrying. There is a lot off hugging that goes on at her house and grandchildren sitting on laps. It would be easy to get discovered, but that method works really well.
Sorry, but you should have trained your kids better.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Depending on where I'm going (Yes, I am "one of those"), I either slip a .380 in my front pocket, wear a Shield 9 on my belt IWB at 4, or a LW Commander in sketchy areas also IWB at 4. One at a time, not 2 or 3 guns.
I don't carry spare mags for any of them.
Sometimes in the woods on fishing trips I carry a .357 revolver OWB 6 rounds, no extras, but also a .380 in my fishing vest.
Guess that makes me a minimalist. It works for me. :yup:

·
Premium Member
33,776 Posts
We seem to have been over run lately with the usual gun forum chest thumping from the usual suspects. That got me wondering how many forum members (and perhaps lurkers) would be willing to discuss minimalist carry?

I am purposely not going to define what minimalist carry is, as I’m sure it will have varying definitions. That’s actually the first thing I’m curious about...what is your definition of the term.

Next, I’m interested in why you would carry that way? Simply want to be comfortable? (Heresy in the gun community!). Maybe you spent years with a heavy duty belt and are simply over it.

Perhaps you work in a non permissive environment? Need to have close physical contact with others? Have kids climbing over you? Need to climb around machinery?

Maybe you have physical infirmities?

Perhaps you are required or simply prefer to dress a certain way?

So, if you usually or even sometimes practice what you consider minimalist carry...let’s discuss.

And please...if you are a member of the “full size fighting pistol (sic) or nothing” brigade, or are a magnum caliber commando...don’t bother posting. We already know all your arguments.

As for me, my usual carry might be considered minimalist by some. Due to NPE at work, kids, preferred and required attire, and just wanting to be comfortable at times, I most often carry a pair of LCPs and one spare mag. No flashlight, knife (other than a tiny keychain Swiss Army), pepper spray, etc.

Let’s discuss...
Why all the shaming?

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
I think we would all have to agree on what constitutes "minimalist" and I don't think that's going to happen. I don't carry two guns, and to me, carrying two firearms is not minimalist. I do carry a knife and a flashlight. I use the flashlight regularly, so to me that's minimalist. I carry a compact Sig, not a full size Sig or other pistol.

Perhaps we need categories of minimalist, sub-minimalist, maximist, etc? I say carry what makes you comfortable. I don't disdain someone for carrying more, or less, than I do.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I can’t figure out why so many posts seem to be attacking other people on this forum.

Personally I have very specific wants/needs in what I carry, that was arrived at over decades of refinement and training.
I could care less about what others use.
Matt,
With this, I say close the thread.
Ha!
I carry.
What I want.
When I want.
I rotate because I can and am confident in what I carry.
From practice.
Not posts.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Minimalist carry
I just look at the terrain. On a shorts and tee shirt day out for a quart of milk and a stop by the mailbox minimal looks different from a trip through the valley of the shadow in some big hell hole. On a trip out in bear country minimal has yet another look. Of course I'm lucky enough to have enough artillery on hand to arm up for whatever. What's minimal depends, for me anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,345 Posts
Often in the summer I carry a 637 appendix in a modified n82 holster.

I've been walking around in shorts and a t shirt. Its hot, I'm sweating, and the leather gets soaked. The neoprene keeps the gun dry.

Comfort and concealment are the primary factor.

Besides, I've said this many times - if I'm ever in a shoot out and I run out of ammo and die as a result, well, you'll never know, so I won't suffer the embarrassment of being wrong. "What ever happened to the sock monkey guy?"

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
My EDC is minimalist: S&W 642.

I have a couple of other carry pieces in 9mm and 45acp, but very rarely use them.

That 38 snub fits the bill for me and my lifestyle. 5 rounds is enough; I rarely have a reload.

Works for me, probably not for you.

Do what makes sense in your situation.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Why all the shaming?
I'm not 10thmtn, but it was fairly obvious in his first sentences -- "We seem to have been over run lately with the usual gun forum chest thumping from the usual suspects. That got me wondering how many forum members (and perhaps lurkers) would be willing to discuss minimalist carry?"
I didn't take it as "shaming," but an observation of the "peeing contest" direction recent threads have taken. Maybe I'm just off-base.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
For me in the summer here in LA (Lower AL) when it is 92 F w/ 90% humidity and I am wearing surf shorts, flip flops, and tank top a LCP loaded with Sig Sauer 100 gr FMJ flat tip along w/ a spare mag and a Spiderco Delica is my minimalist carry on the kayak or beach metal detecting. The rest of the time wearing Columbia or SG hiking shorts and PFG fishing shirts it is the same as winter carry for me P-365 w/ 12 rd mag or Shield 9 mm w/ spare 7 rd mag. I don't live in a high crime area and reptiles that crawl or slither are usually a bigger threat than 2 legged bipeds.:blink:

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
I don't consider either of my usual carry guns as "high capacity," either being 10 or 12 rounds. I rarely carry an extra magazine. I don't carry a knife or a flashlight or pepper spray. Anything other than my gun is extra stuff I don't wish to carry on a regular basis. If I have to resort to my firearm, I'll see what happens when it's all over and done. It's how I want to live, and that's all that matters to me.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
Sorry, but you should have trained your kids better.
I did and they were OK while I was raising them, but despite them both having doctorates and marrying well, they fell in with bad crowds. My daughter who lives near us used to read Ann Coulter books and once took me to a range, where we had a great time shooting. But she and her husband moved down the street from Tim Kaine (yes, that Tim Kaine) and fell in with with that lot. They caught the liberalism disease. Sadly, it can happen in the best of families.

1 - 20 of 196 Posts