Defensive Carry banner

181 - 196 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
We seem to have been over run lately with the usual gun forum chest thumping from the usual suspects. That got me wondering how many forum members (and perhaps lurkers) would be willing to discuss minimalist carry?

I am purposely not going to define what minimalist carry is, as I’m sure it will have varying definitions. That’s actually the first thing I’m curious about...what is your definition of the term.

Next, I’m interested in why you would carry that way? Simply want to be comfortable? (Heresy in the gun community!). Maybe you spent years with a heavy duty belt and are simply over it.

Perhaps you work in a non permissive environment? Need to have close physical contact with others? Have kids climbing over you? Need to climb around machinery?

Maybe you have physical infirmities?

Perhaps you are required or simply prefer to dress a certain way?

So, if you usually or even sometimes practice what you consider minimalist carry...let’s discuss.

And please...if you are a member of the “full size fighting pistol (sic) or nothing” brigade, or are a magnum caliber commando...don’t bother posting. We already know all your arguments.

As for me, my usual carry might be considered minimalist by some. Due to NPE at work, kids, preferred and required attire, and just wanting to be comfortable at times, I most often carry a pair of LCPs and one spare mag. No flashlight, knife (other than a tiny keychain Swiss Army), pepper spray, etc.

Let’s discuss...
Years ago I read an article from some gunwriter talking about training at Gunsite, and mentioning how when he went to lunch or dinner offsite with some of the other guys from the class, many weren't carrying a gun at all, most who were carrying a gun had a little j-frame, and some had nothing. This was in a situation where they could open carry a 6" N-frame with no problem.
Now I'm older, and have lived in some of the top ten largest cities in the US with no need to ever draw down (much less shoot) anybody, and I understand why those guys carried only a j-frame.
Today, I carry a pocketknife and S&W 340 j-frame always - to my NPE, while cooking, while going to the gas station for milk because the food's almost done and the milk I need is expired by a week. I sometimes carry a fullsize gun in addition to that - when out in grizzly country I carry a 44 magnum and that 340 - because the 340 is so light and easy to carry that there's no point taking it out of my pocket. There's a lot of advantage to having an always gun. When in the NPE, it conceals completely. No risk of falling out of the holster, no risk of printing, etc - it stays where I want it to unless I want it, without being a heavy annoying thing.

·
Premium Member
33,882 Posts
Despite being newer, more posts and many more views than the “mine is bigger than yours” thread.

Interesting that on today’s Tactical Wire email, the topic was...The Need to be Discreet.
There was a mine is bigger than yours thread?

Seriously, discreet carry has always been my primary goal. I have made my way down from full-sized and compact double-stackers to single stack Shields that the tactical guys look down their noses at in the gun classes. Aside from changing mags more frequently and a sometimes-lower round count at the end of the day, I hang at the front of the pack on the shooting end of it all.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I carried for the past 35 years (as a LEO in a major city) and most of that time it was a "single stack 1911"(full size 5" on duty and a "Commander" off-duty) with at least 2 extra magazines in .45. Since retiring I have begun to carry a S&W Shield (in .45 with 2 extra mags) and sometimes a CZ PCR or a SA Hellcat if I really want to go light. My only requirement is that it be at least a 9mm/38 spl +p, and always with at least the equivalent of 2 mags for reload. I still prefer the .45 though.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
I spent 28 years in LE carrying a S&W M19, then a 686, then a 5906 and finally a SIG P-220. But always my backup and off duty weapon was a J frame (M60, the a 640 and since 2004 a no lock 642 and sometimes a 638) Where I live it's cargo shorts about 6 months a year so I pocket carry and light weight J Frame just seems right and I do not feel under gunned.

·
Registered
280 Posts
For when I really do not want anyone to know that I am carrying I carry a P3AT kel tek. That is the first concealed carry I ever purchased and as a pocket carry it just dissapears. I got that back when it was the only really sub compact .380 that was available. I had a few problems with it and sent it back to the co. and have never had a problem since. I now carry a sub compact 9 mm 95% of the time.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My “minimalist carry” is a PC Shield 9 with two eight round reloads, and I only carry that when the back is out really bad.

I’ll leave it at that; since my regular carry load out makes me one of “those guys” that you don’t care to hear about. I was 69 years old last January...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Grey Ghost Glock 19, PPQM2, or Grey Ghost Glock 22, and no extra mag would be my McDonalds load out. The only thing that would change would be the amount of mags I would carry for my Walmart load out.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sitting here at home, I have a Ruger LCP II in my pocket along with a tiny Streamlight Microstream light and a Kershaw small auto knife.
When I leave home I add a Sig 365 and a spare magazine.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sorry, but you should have trained your kids better
What an insensitive and misinformed thing to say. You train animals not children. You teach children to have their own opinions, like and dislikes. If they don't agree with you or dislike something that you like you respect their opinion and that is exactly what jmf552 does when he goes to his daughters house.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I skipped the previous 10 pages. Minimum CZ PCR or Glock 43x no extra mag, regular carry same but throw in an extra mag. I dont over think it.

Reactions: PEF

·
Registered
192 Posts
I carry a 5 shot .38 spl. S&W J-frame revolver in a pocket holster pretty much every day. Don't know if others would consider it "minimalist", don't really care. I can hit what I point it at with one, so I have confidence in it, It's comfortable to carry, so there's never an excuse to leave it home. It conceals well in anything from the front pocket of cut off jean shorts worn without a shirt to the cargo pocket of my heaviest winter parka.

181 - 196 of 196 Posts