Defensive Carry banner

121 - 140 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
View attachment 326980
(not me, Sheriff Jim Wilson)
You Devil you! Ohhh NOW you've done it!! I took THIS one out and now have to carry it... 1952 Era.....Lightweight Commander 38 Super "Minimalist Carry" type gun...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
WW1 and WW2 1911s..Pre 70 series guns... 70 series guns.... 1950s-60s dick spls and such... Electroless nickle commanders Govt models etc....Yep..big haul...

The Commander I just posted is part of my collection of a few years back... I think I got that one for about 500.00.. I'll have to look

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Reactions: CLASS3NH and OD*

·
Registered
504 Posts
Not sure what minimalist means but I might be one. I carry one pistol (USPc 9mm) and no extra mags.

I tried other pistols and this was the only one I liked pretty much for every reason possible.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Single stack 9... 90% of the time.....Once in a while a J frame (Which i can't lie is growing on me)

I never overthink it...You could have 7 rounds and need 8.

You could have 16 rounds and need 17.

You could have a handgun and all the rounds you can carry and still be a fish in the barrel
Getting shot at with a rifle from a elevated position like in Las Vegas.

You can drive yourself nuts worrying about what if's.

Until there is a crystal ball its all a crap shoot every day.

No one is ever going to get a 100% approval rating on a forum when it comes to how big of a caliber they carry...How many
rounds...How many guns and certainly what brand they carry.

Someone will always find a way to take offense to your reason for doing what you do if it does not match their own.

Some will read this and think and say.....No way would i ever be that under armed in capacity and caliber.
Some will always say i prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

I am OK with that.:smile:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Minimalist for me is a SIG P365. It is small/comfortable and is very easy to conceal regardless of what I am wearing (typically light clothing here in FL). For me it benefits from being a 9mm, reliable, accurate, and has mag options range from 10 to 15 rounds. I usually carry a flush fit 10 round and often a 15 backup mag. Add to that a knife and cell phone and, at night, a light. I do carry larger pistols on occasion, but for minimalist, that's it. I'm probably not far from the age where some other option (less recoil, smaller, or ???) will start looking good, but I'm not there yet.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
My minimalist carry is not necessarily a smaller firearm. It might be a rather large revolver, or a medium revolver, but tucked into the waistband. (I almost always wear a substantial belt.) i will almost always have my EDC folder, a Crawford Kasper folder, and a Surefire LX-series light.

Minimalist might be a stout fixed-blade knife, in place of a handgun. A recent favorite is the Spartan Blades Les George V-14, as its handle fits both of my hands, in forward hammer grip, forward “foil” grip, and reverse grip. (Not that I plan to change grips during a critical incident, but that the knife works, regardless of how I grab it, in an hasty emergency.) My hands are shaped differently, so, a knife that truly fits both is a blessing.

https://spartanbladesusa.com/shop-all/spartan-george-v-14-dagger/

Yes, Texas Law is now friendly to double-edged knives, and blades over 5.5” are legal, but “Location-Restricted.”

J-Frame recoil really hurts the base joint of my aging right thumb. Some small blow-back “pocket” autos do the same. I prefer the SP101 as a minimalist-sized handgun, a preference that dates back as far as the 2000-2002 time period. (Shooting too many big-bore Magnums, in N-Frames, with K/L-sized hands, is probably what scrambled my thumb and wrist bones.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
About every 6 months, I go from carrying more stuff to less stuff, or visa-versa. Currently,

• P365, 11 rounds, no extra magazine. Vedder Light Tuck holster.
  • Smartphone. In front pocket.
  • No longer carry a flashlight, I use the flashlight function on my phone
  • Wallet. Very small wallet from Flowfold. In front pocket.
  • Keys. House & car keys only. Plus Swiss Army Classic knife.

·
Registered
3 Posts
One thing that I always carry but don't see mentioned is pepper spray or something similar. I want to have an alternative, non-lethal weapon at hand in case I have to defend myself but might have difficulty justifying the use of deadly force. That was taught by Massad Ayoob in his Lethal Force Institute class.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I never minimalist carry. If I am in my home town I carry enough to defend myself and family against an attack of three people (this has happened and I prevailed). If I am out of town I carry enough to defend against an armed invasion, at night, by space aliens.

·
Registered
Various
15,544 Posts
My minimalist carry today is a Colt Delta Elite 10mm with a spare magazine on my belt and a Sig P938 9mm with a spare magazine in my pocket. :yup:

121 - 140 of 196 Posts